Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell

Katrina1968

I've loved this book from the moment I read it. I also own the vhs BBC version of the movie (all 4 of them!). What amazes me is that I have yet to come across anyone else who has read it?! Oh how I would adore doing a group read on this one!

Synopsis

Novel by Elizabeth Gaskell, first published serially in the Cornhill Magazine (August 1864-January 1866) and then in book form in 1866; it was unfinished at the time of her death in November 1865. Known as her last, longest, and perhaps finest work, it concerns the interlocking fortunes of several families in the country town of Hollingford. Wives and Daughters chronicles the maturation of Molly Gibson, a sincere young woman whose widowed father, the town doctor, marries Hyacinth Kirkpatrick, a charming but petty widow and former governess in the household of Lord Cumnor. Although Molly resents her stepmother, she befriends her stepsister Cynthia, who is secretly engaged to Lord Cumnor's land agent, Mr. Preston. Molly is warmly received at the home of Squire Hamley and his disabled wife. The Hamleys' two sons are Osborne, a clever but shallow man who marries unwisely and dies young, and Roger, an honest scientist who eventually marries Molly after being engaged to Cynthia, who ultimately weds a London barrister

• 3 months later...

I read Wives and Daughters and adored it! I own the movie too.

After reading Wives and Daughters I wanted to get my hands on other Gaskell books. I read North and South and then watched the movie. I did the same with Cranford and just finished the movie last night. While the movie took many liberties with the story, I really enjoyed it.

Wives and Daughters was originally recommended to me by a friend saying if you like Jane Austen you'll like Elizabeth Gaskell. I like Gaskell far better than I've ever liked Austen. However, I find it true that not many people know about her. Everytime I talk about her people look at me like, who?

I still have many of her books to read and I can't wait. There is another Cranford movie, but it hasn't come out in the states yet. I'm not sure what it is about seeing how the first one seemed finished.

I'm always surprised that Gaskell is referred to as a 'cosy' author. North and South??? The harsh realities of life for a factory worker. Cranford?? Has anyone counted the number of deaths? The poverty and hardships so many of the characters face, but they do so with fortitude and dignified determination.

• 3 weeks later...

Cozy writer in reference to Wives and Daughters. I havent finished the Cranford series, but I have seen the movies and yes, LOTS of deaths, the same with North and South.

What I mean about "cozy" is how she tackles social issues around a knittins circle surrounded by other women and tea. She never seems to take "home" out of her stories, even in North and South. Hope I'm explaining this without too much confusion.