In The News (Cont..)

Lilywhite

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unwanted adopted boy sent back

This story made me incredibly sad today. When I sat and thought about it it made me cry. It's really shocking how little people think of children. I hope he is found a good, loving home and shown that there are actually good people out there in the world.

From Sky News

A seven-year-old Russian boy who was adopted by an American woman has been sent home on his own with a note saying he was no longer wanted.

Young Artem Savelyev arrived at Moscow airport with the typed note from his adoptive mother which said he was being abandoned after only six months in her care.

Torry-Ann Hansen had admitted to having made a mistake and suggested the boy should be re-housed.

"I no longer wish to parent this child," the unmarried 27-year-old nurse from Tennessee wrote, requesting his adoption be annulled.

She accused the boy's Siberian orphanage of misleading her about Artem's behavioural problems.

Hansen had placed sweets, biscuits and colouring pens in the child's rucksack before checking him onto the 10-hour flight as an unaccompanied minor, reportedly telling him he was going on an "excursion" to Moscow.

Russia media has reacted with horror to the case and foreign minister Sergei Lavrov called for all adoptions of the country's children by US citizens to be frozen.

He said the suspension must be upheld until Russia and the US conclude an agreement on terms "specifying responsibilities" by the host family.

Artem is an only-child, whose only known relative - his birth mother - was relieved of her motherhood rights in 2008.

He was picked up at the airport on Thursday by a Russian man who took him to the city's education ministry, where the youngster was left.

The man told officials he had been offered $200 (approximately

Possibly.

I don't know how many people have heard by now that Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens are trying to see if they can get the Pope arrested when he visits England in September.

Snigger.

It's a serious story but I can't help but laugh. Hitchens and Dawkins. What a crime-fighting team! :(

Links!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article7094310.ece

and

http://trueslant.com/allisonkilkenny/2010/04/11/the-case-for-arresting-the-pope/

What does everyone think? Does the Pope deserve to get arrested for covering up child abuse?

Since to me he's just a man who's tried to cover up horrendous acts of abuse I'm going to go with yes.

He should be treated the same as anyone else who's done what he's done.

Having said that I don't have all the facts. If anyone can point out that he was justified or that he hasn't done what's being claimed then fair enough.

Edit: Whoops. Didn't notice that big old In the News thread. Should have put this there.

Edited by Maureen
moved to 'In the news' thread. :)

This is just so heartbreaking and sick. It just blows my mind that some cultures are so negligent of their women and children, particularly when it is a female child!

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/04/09/yemen.child.bride.death/index.html?hpt=T2

I too read this earlier today and was sickened, tis something that should not happen but can imagine is happening alot around the world in various circumstances. It even made me think back in history when many other cultures had young girls marrying old men, even ours at times, tis so sad to think what these children (not even young women) have to endure against their will :(

I agree. At age 12 a child should still be experiencing the world through games and play dates with friends. They shouldn't be worrying about caring for a husband or in some cases, caring for their child or fighting for their life because their body is still too little to handle pregnancy. Its so utterly heartbreaking.

And then you think back on history, like you said. Mary, Jesus' mom, supposedly had him around 14. So many monarchs marry off around that age or even earlier and if I remember right, King Tut was just a boy when he assumed the throne and began taking wives and fathering children.

Possibly.

I don't know how many people have heard by now that Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens are trying to see if they can get the Pope arrested when he visits England in September.

Snigger.

It's a serious story but I can't help but laugh. Hitchens and Dawkins. What a crime-fighting team! :friends0:

Links!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article7094310.ece

and

http://trueslant.com/allisonkilkenny/2010/04/11/the-case-for-arresting-the-pope/

What does everyone think? Does the Pope deserve to get arrested for covering up child abuse?

Since to me he's just a man who's tried to cover up horrendous acts of abuse I'm going to go with yes.

He should be treated the same as anyone else who's done what he's done.

Having said that I don't have all the facts. If anyone can point out that he was justified or that he hasn't done what's being claimed then fair enough.

Edit: Whoops. Didn't notice that big old In the News thread. Should have put this there.

he should of course be arrested, anyone else would be at least detained and questioned.

If any one is interested this is one of the big sites we have been digging on recently

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8619572.stm

I did my first ever excavation down there (a long time ago) and in fact my last ever fieldwork project round there too..

That is really interesting, pickle! You have such a cool job.

Lol @ Mac (Nice to see you back!)

Gah. It took me ages to carve that burial mound, dammit! You youngsters have no respect for us seniors...

Its the new fangled tools we have these days much quicker than animal shoulder blades and stone tools..

Gabby, its great in that picture I am sure the guys down there didn't enjoy it so much over the winter...brrrrr

No. If parents are worried about what their kids are reading, then they should take the time to read it first and decide if it is appropriate for their child. I never had my reading censored, but my Mam did check out books she suspected might be a bit much for me before handing them over, if only so she would know ahead of time of anything I might decide to ask her about. We had a very good relationship where we (my sister and I) were encouraged to ask about anything on any subject, no matter how embarrassing most folks might find it, and we always got frank and honest answers.

no. If teenagers can cope with the drugs violence and sex in school, home and their social life they should cope with it in books. Better yet they could learn to grow a pair and if they don't like something just change the channel/put it away rather than getting sue happy. These people annoy me beyond belief.