What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 6!

Echo

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Erica Spindler's In Silence last night. Either the translation or the style of writing (I'm thinking both but especially the latter... :D) was poor but the storyline kept me engrossed. I also thought I'd figured out whodunnit and how but boy was I wrong and pleasantly surprised by the twists in the end :D Overall a very good and descent read :D Will be reading more of Spindler's books whenever I manage to spot them.

Started reading Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles, my very first Sherlock Holmes story (haven't watched/heard/read a Holmes story ever before). I'm really enjoying it so far!

Just finished 'The Observations' by Jane Harris last night, and loved it!!

The character of 'Bessie' fair jumps off the page at you with fabulous language and humour, and the overall 'plot' was pretty engrossing too.

Have moved onto 'The famished road' today by Ben Okri.

Northernnutter.

Started reading Arthur Conan Doyle's The Hound of the Baskervilles, my very first Sherlock Holmes story (haven't watched/heard/read a Holmes story ever before). I'm really enjoying it so far!

Glad you're enjoying it, Frankie! I have all of his works on my TBR pile and recently read my first one, A Study in Scarlet. I loved it and can't wait to get to the rest. :D

Glad you're enjoying it, Frankie! I have all of his works on my TBR pile and recently read my first one, A Study in Scarlet. I loved it and can't wait to get to the rest. :D

Nice to hear you enjoyed your first Holmes as well :) I have no idea why I haven't read any Holmes before, I guess I thought it would be too 'hard' and too oldschool, languagewise, if you know what I mean. And I've somehow come to the conclusion that Holmes stories are mostly short stories which I tend to avoid reading? My friend had a copy of The Hound of the Baskervilles and hearing that it was a real novel I had to go to the library and borrow the book :D (Also, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is in the 1001 Books You Must Read -list, if you're interested in reading Holmes and making a little dent on that list :D)

(Also, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is in the 1001 Books You Must Read -list, if you're interested in reading Holmes and making a little dent on that list :D)

Yes, that always helps! Even better if it's also on Rory's Book List. :D (But I don't think this one is :D.)

Yes, that always helps! Even better if it's also on Rory's Book List. :D (But I don't think this one is :D.)

No it's not :D But I know what you mean, it's always great to find something interesting to read, then find out that it's on 1001BYMR-list and also on Rory's List. So rewarding :)

I am finding Dexter in the Dark, kind of boring and it does seem to be affecting my Mojo. After being really busy and having no time to read I had the morning off to catch up on some reading and relax as yet again I have come down with yet another bug. I thought that once I started block reading Dexter I would get into the flow but I just cant, my mind keeps floating away with the faries and I keep loosing place in the book. I keep thinking off all the awesome books that I could be reading. But with being over 100 pages in I really don' want to give up! :D

CW

Maybe you could just put it aside for a bit and come back to it later rather than give up altogether? I hate giving up on books too and I usually struggle my way through them. I'm learning a little though. If I find a book is taking me too long to read, I'll pick up something else so at least I'm keeping my mojo up.

Good luck!

Seeing all this talk of Sherlock Holmes reminds me that Caleb Carr wrote a novel not too long ago called The Italian Secretary: A Further Adventure of Sherlock Holmes. I've been meaning to look for this one next time I'm at the used book shop. Has anyone here read it? I love Carr's The Alienist and Angel of Darkness and have always meant to read something else of his.

Maybe you could just put it aside for a bit and come back to it later rather than give up altogether? I hate giving up on books too and I usually struggle my way through them. I'm learning a little though. If I find a book is taking me too long to read, I'll pick up something else so at least I'm keeping my mojo up.

Good luck!

Hey!!!

Unfortunately it is a library book and is due back on Monday, so at least I know I do not have much longer with it either way :D I normally love the series so much, but this one is a dissappointment. (sp)

Correct The Book of Lost Things is John Connolly. Sheridan Hay's book is called The Secret of Lost Things.
Indeed, it was The Secret of Lost Things, I got confuzzled :D. I seriously don't understand why the condition wasn't advertised though; I put it back up for mooch as soon as I got it, describing its state in detail, and someone who isn't as pristine-mad as I am snapped it up the same day!

Oh dear! Have you ever tried taking part in National Novel Writing Month (or Nanowrimo for short)? You don't have time to loose your mojo then! I managed to complete it last year (mainly because I was stuck at home with a broken leg), I don't think I've ever written anything that long in my life before, or since!
Well done on that :D even more so with the broken leg, it might supply time and boredom but I know how painful it is! Myself, I've tried Nanowrimo a few times when I was still at university; needless to say, I failed every time, as November is assigment rush-hour.

Now I've got the opposite problem; oodles of time but no inspiration. If at all possible, both mojos have gone even further into hiding now - if things continue like this I'll start feeling like a hypocrite for spending so much time here when I don't even read :D.

I started The Colour of Magic today, so far I like it :D

Ooo I love Terry Pratchett - if you enjoy this one you will love the others :D

I'm about 130 pages into Shopaholic and Baby, a nice easy read

Seeing all this talk of Sherlock Holmes reminds me that Caleb Carr wrote a novel not too long ago called The Italian Secretary: A Further Adventure of Sherlock Holmes. I've been meaning to look for this one next time I'm at the used book shop. Has anyone here read it? I love Carr's The Alienist and Angel of Darkness and have always meant to read something else of his.

Yes, I've read the Italian Secretary and is one of the best homages to Holmes that I've read. Caleb Carr writes with the greatest respect for Holmes or perhaps I should say Conan Doyle.

So nice to see so many people picking up the stories:D

Ooo I love Terry Pratchett - if you enjoy this one you will love the others :D

I'm about 130 pages into Shopaholic and Baby, a nice easy read

I challenged myself to read all the books in the Discworld series in the future so I think it's a good thing I'm actually enjoying the first one :D

I've only read the first two Shopaholic books, I just realised I never continued the series even though I liked it.

How are you liking Empire Falls, Blithe? I really love Russo's writing style and have often meant to pick up others by him.

I'm glad to hear praise for The Italian Secretary, SueK! :D Have you read anything else by Carr? He is such a talented author and I love the two of his I've read. I've often wondered what he's been up to lately, since a few years ago I heard he was ill. I really hope he hasn't stopped writing.

I got a little farther in The Bone Garden last night, in between watching baseball. I will indeed be looking for more works by Tess Gerritsen to read in the future :D.

How are you liking Empire Falls, Blithe? I really love Russo's writing style and have often meant to pick up others by him.

I'm glad to hear praise for The Italian Secretary, SueK! :D Have you read anything else by Carr? He is such a talented author and I love the two of his I've read. I've often wondered what he's been up to lately, since a few years ago I heard he was ill. I really hope he hasn't stopped writing.

I got a little farther in The Bone Garden last night, in between watching baseball. I will indeed be looking for more works by Tess Gerritsen to read in the future :D.

Tess Gerritsen is one one of my favourite authors, I have not yet read the Bone garden but I have it on my TBR pile. Have you read any other of her books? If not I would start with the obvious and read The surgeon, one of my favouirte books.

I bought the new young adult-ish John Connolley book! 'The Gates' (of Hell are about to open, mind the gap). :D

I haven't read any of his strictly adult stuff, but I spotted this with art done in the exact style of The Book Of Lost things, and saw the first chapter talks about the creation of the universe and how religion is probably wrong about some things to do with that, so I HAD TO HAVE IT. :D