What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 6!

Echo

Finally got around to reading The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells. It's an incredibly easy read. I began it at about 1am this morning, read for a couple of hours and I'm already past the half way mark.

It is, of course, one of the seminal pieces of science fiction but is in many ways closer to Wells's social comedies. It's very light-hearted and funny.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kylie, I have a suggestion- next time you go to a bookfair I can come with you. I wouldn't feel so guilty about buying a lot of books if I had someone with me who buys as many.

Sounds great! The next one is about 7 months away so you (and I) will have plenty of time to save up. :irked:

I finished John Marsden's Letters from the Inside. It has an unresolved ending which infuriates me in a way, but I also like it (if that makes sense). It left me feeling quite depressed. Marsden is such a brilliant writer of young adult fiction. He always amazes me with his ability to get into the mind of teenagers (and teenage girls, at that).

Back to reading Enduring Love now.

Haven't had a great deal of activity lately:blush: Was ill in bed most of last week so didn't feel like reading. My mojo is returning now thank goodness (what would life be without a good read:smile2:).

I'm reading a querky little book by a Russian author, Boris Akunin about a young detective called Erast Fandorin, in the 1870s. Thoroughly enjoyable and I may seek out the rest in the series as there are quite a few.

Nice haul, Kylie! It's great you picked up 'The Historian' :irked:.

I read quite a bit of Leeway Cottage yesterday and a handful of pages this morning. I like it that it's a family story about summer living in a Maine coastal cottage, but also the contrast of Denmark during the time of Hitler. Very interesting reading!

Our store buyer went to a book convention this past weekend and brought back bags of free books, hard back and soft back. I had a blast going through them and placing them in our inventory.

I got a free readers copy of Swan Thieves, by Elizabeth Kostova and The Creation Of Eve, By Lynn Cullen.

Cant wait to read these.:irked:

Good for you :roll: hope you enjoy them, do let us know what you think.

Having just been told by a certain bookshoppe that my expertise doesn't fit any of their current vacancies (which is amusing given that the same bookshoppe offered me an interview a year ago, which I couldn't make due to being a 5hr bus journey away with a blinding cold), I am ever so slightly jealous :irked:.

You know, I literally WALKED into this job. I had been in to look for a book and happened to overhear the manager and another employee discuss needing someone because another employee had taken ill. I said jokingly that I was looking for something part time. Next thing you know, I had an interview the next day with the owner of the store and lo and behold, here I am, almost 2 years later.

I never thought of myself as working in a bookshoppe but its really an interesting place to be. I see all kinds of customers, get to go through all the books, read what I want without having to pay for it, as long as I return it to the shelf like I removed it PLUS we get a 40% discount. Unfortunately, if my husbands job search doesnt yield anything soon, I may have to search for something else.

I'm reading a querky little book by a Russian author, Boris Akunin about a young detective called Erast Fandorin, in the 1870s. Thoroughly enjoyable and I may seek out the rest in the series as there are quite a few.

I've read all the Akunin books except the latest one and think they're great. He also has another series featuring Sister Pelagia which is fairly good :irked:

:irked: The trouble is, if we banned everyone who recommended books, we wouldn't have any members!

I'm still reading The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent (I've avoided reading any posts about it). I'm about half way through and am enjoying it so far. :roll:

Janet, can I ban Lexipiper please? Pretty please? :D

She is making me spend money I haven't got! I have four (wee) people in mind for these books - I'll have to get a set each! :irked:

Omg! You scared me then!! I read to ban me and my heart stopped and I thought I was in trouble!! :D You're a mean woman Chrissy!! :D But yes I know what you mean, and I apologise, please don't ban me!!! :roll::irked:

I finished Agatha Christie's After the Funeral this past weekend - another brilliant murder mystery. :irked: I am now reading Ghostwalk by Rebecca Stott.

I just finished Ghostwalk not long ago, Scarlette. How are you finding it?