Catwoman's Reading List 2009

catwoman

Ohh, I will have a look in Waterstones later and see if I can pick up a copy of that. Some great suggestions in this thread.

Thanks Ghost. I love slaughter and recommend her to anyone.

That is the great thing about this forum you get so many great ideas!

Thannk god for libraries!

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ****! I've just started reading Karin Slaughter's Blindsighted and I've only read like 27 pages and I'm already totally hooked on the book! And now to hear there's another serial killer book series that's a must read for us Deaver & Slaughter fans!! (

Ohh, I will have a look in Waterstones later and see if I can pick up a copy of that. Some great suggestions in this thread.

Thanks Ghost. I love slaughter and recommend her to anyone.

Graphic, gruesome, gripping and gorgeous - that just about sums up a Slaughter story! :D She is fab!

Lexiepiper I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the same thing as with Kay Scarpetta, Tempe Brennan or Lincoln Rhyme, the books can be read as individual books but to get the feel of the main characters (ie. the ones who are investigating the crimes and their family/friends) you should read the books in order. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong :D

'Fractured' is the second book in the Will Trent series, the first is 'Triptych'.

The other series (Grant County) starts with 'Blindsighted', then 'Kisscut', 'A Faint Cold Fear', 'Indelible', 'Faithless', 'Skin Privilege', and the latest that crosses the Will Trent series with the Grant County series, 'Genesis'.

I have Karin Slaughter's 'Fractured' that I've been looking forward to reading, but I think it's part of a series, do the others need to be read first?

Fractured is not one of her best to be honest the actaul murder is not as good as some of her rest.

Lexiepiper I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the same thing as with Kay Scarpetta, Tempe Brennan or Lincoln Rhyme, the books can be read as individual books but to get the feel of the main characters (ie. the ones who are investigating the crimes and their family/friends) you should read the books in order. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong :D

Yeah thats right Each book has a storyline/ murder/ crime on their own right and merit, but to get the full joy out of the book you need to read the previous books. The only one I will say that you NEED to read the previous books is Skin Privilege. The Murder has a lot of links of previous books and characters that I could imagine it could get rather confusing without previous knowledge of past experience/ murder cases and characters.

'Fractured' is the second book in the Will Trent series, the first is 'Triptych'.

The other series (Grant County) starts with 'Blindsighted', then 'Kisscut', 'A Faint Cold Fear', 'Indelible', 'Faithless', 'Skin Privilege', and the latest that crosses the Will Trent series with the Grant County series, 'Genesis'.

Exactly and triptych is an awesome book, one of my favs!

Book # 12: The Lost Book of Salem - Katherine Howe.

Lost Book of Salem" is published in the US under the title "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane". While clearing out her grandmother's cottage for sale, Connie Goodwin finds a parchment inscribed with the name Deliverance Dane. And so begins the hunt to uncover the woman behind the name, a hunt that takes her back to Salem in 1692 ...and the infamous witchcraft trials. But nothing is entirely as it seems and when Connie unearths the existence of Deliverance's spell book, the Physick Book, the situation takes on a menacing edge as interested parties reveal their desperation to find this precious artefact at any cost. What secrets does the Physick Book contain? What magic is scrawled across its parchment pages? Connie must race to answer these questions - and reveal the truth about Salem's women - before an ancient family curse once more fulfils its dark and devastating prophecy. Book details

Published

25/06/2009

Publisher

Penguin Books Ltd

ISBN

Ok after so many rave reviews about the book and sounded like I would really like it, I decided to reserve it at my local library.

Considering Howe is a academic I found her writing was easy to read and would appeal to a universal level of readers, even with a bucket load of historical content to boot.

But I will be honest it did not grab me. I am thinking this is because it was not thriller enough for me and did not have enough action and certainly not enough twists. I think 9/10 people would guess the ending from near the beginning.

I did not like Connie, for a history Graduate, god damn she can be 'stupid' and at sometimes I felt immature. But I did love Sam. But then people who know me would know I would love his character anyway :P

Over all it was an 'entertaining' book, but never truely gripped me and I wanted to finish it to move onto the next.

But however, I can see why a great number of people love this book, I truely can. I just feel that it did not cater for my tastes.

6/10

That's what's so good about books - we all have different likes and dislikes - one persons great book is anothers not-so-good. :D

I agree that Connie was irritating - and like you, I guessed the ending - but I thought it was great. :P

That's what's so good about books - we all have different likes and dislikes - one persons great book is anothers not-so-good. :D

I agree that Connie was irritating - and like you, I guessed the ending - but I thought it was great. :P

Yeah thats what I love about books. I went to the library this morning to drop it back and two people n front of the cue had read it and loved it, other people said it was Ok. I love that when people have views on a book.

I think with the book I could appreciate and understand why some people like it so much and I hope that people are not thinking I am taking away the great things about the book. Becuase on it's own merit it can be a great book.

Book #13: New Moon by Stephenie Meyer

stuck my finger under the edge of the paper and jerked it under the tape. Shoot,' I muttered when the paper sliced my finger. A single drop of blood oozed from the tiny cut. It all happened very quickly then. No!' Edward roared Dazed and disorientated, I looked up from the bright red blood pulsing out of my arm - and into the fevered eyes of the six suddenly ravenous vampires. For Bella Swan, there is one thing more important than life itself: Edward Cullen. But being in love with a vampire is more dangerous than Bella ever could have imagined. Edward has already rescued Bella from the clutches of an evil vampire but now, as their daring relationship threatens all that is near and dear to them, they realise their troubles may just be beginning.

Ok so yet again I had no expectations for this book, as I was still not a true 'Twilighter' so to speak even though Ihad liked the previous book.

The way I felt after reading the book, was like after reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I know some of you are going to go What?!!! CW has lost her kittens! But No.. As with the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I found that I was waiting for something to happen, for something to come jumping out at me... and when it did... Did it!!!!!!! . Like the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I was a little bored with this book to begin with.

With this book I was missing Edward. I was reading through the pages to find out when the book was going to go back to being the Vampire book I expected. Bella was annoying me with her Teenage Love dissapearing and her silly little thoughts in her head (I only put up with it as I know this is for YA) But then.

When Alice came into the Picture and the whole edward Italy thing came in.... That was it. I was shocked, I never saw that coming! (even though I new the Romeo and Juliet part would come back to haunt me :D) But for me, the later end of the book just.. well amazing. I could not read quick enough. I was pleading Bella to run, run girl run!

My heart was pounding and stopping, not knowing what would be the outcome.

I actually fell inlove with Edward and Bella, I really was engaged for the last 100+ pages... Truely amazing.

For me the second best book that I have read during 2009. Even if it is for the last 100+ pages. :P

9.5/ 10 *would have been given a 10 if Bella had been given a good talking to.*

Great review, CW! I completely agree with you about missing Edward and falling in love with he and Bella.

It was so sad when he left, but when Alice came back near the end and E & B were reunited in Italy, it was amazing! I kind of liked the fact that he was gone for a big chunk of the book because the reunion was just so much *more* that way.

Of course, I could always do with less Jacob, but that's just me and my team :P.

Great review, CW! I completely agree with you about missing Edward and falling in love with he and Bella.

It was so sad when he left, but when Alice came back near the end and E & B were reunited in Italy, it was amazing! I kind of liked the fact that he was gone for a big chunk of the book because the reunion was just so much *more* that way.

Of course, I could always do with less Jacob, but that's just me and my team :P.

I am not fan of Jacob, he bores me a little.

something I forgot to say.. I love how she

showed the months that past but putting those pages of the months on each page. I thought that was a lovely touch

I actually fell inlove with Edward and Bella, I really was engaged for the last 100+ pages... Truely amazing.

For me the second best book that I have read during 2009. Even if it is for the last 100+ pages. :P

I know what you mean - I've re-read a few times as well now, and I tend to skim through until

Alice

arrives, and then it's heart stopping action all the way to the end!

Glad you liked New Moon CW, if you loved the "something that came out to jump at you" thing then you will definitely love the last book Breaking Dawn. I really can't remember much of Eclipse...does that say something? No, I seriously can't remember because Breaking Dawn was great and what a read!!!

Yeah, I was getting bored with the whole teenage love thing from Bella and then the Jacob thing...I love the vampires and was scanning through the book too to see when Edward came back into it. That's when it kicked off for me. I mean these books to me are more Edward and Bella rather than Jacob. But it all ties in, in the end. :D

Glad you liked New Moon CW, if you loved the "something that came out to jump at you" thing then you will definitely love the last book Breaking Dawn. I really can't remember much of Eclipse...does that say something? No, I seriously can't remember because Breaking Dawn was great and what a read!!!

Yeah, I was getting bored with the whole teenage love thing from Bella and then the Jacob thing...I love the vampires and was scanning through the book too to see when Edward came back into it. That's when it kicked off for me. I mean these books to me are more Edward and Bella rather than Jacob. But it all ties in, in the end. :D

To be honest, I scanned the book to see where I noticed thewords "Edward said" on the page :D

I have eclipse on my library TBR pile and have Breaking dawn on reserve waiting.

I didn't want to rush through them too quickly.

I spoke to a friend last night who is a huuuuge Twilight fan (She does however refuse to read any other sortof book. :D) But she said that the movie is better. Surely that can't be true. I m not bothered about watching the movie to be honest.

Eclipse is probably my favourite of all the books (although each time I read Twilight, I claim that's my favourite, then I read Eclipse again, and I change my mind again :friends0:), so I hope you enjoy it CW.

I have to say, I was never that bothered about watching the film of Twilight, because I thought it could never match up to the book, but then I joined BCF and before I know it, I'm looking at the "What are you watching?" thread and all I can see is peacefield watching that film again, either with or without the commentary (mostly with), so I go hunting around and find all the Twilight threads. Then I'm sucked into buying the DVD to watch the film, and although I don't think it's better than the books, I did watch it every day for about three weeks, and now I'm considering taking the day off work to watch New Moon at the cinema during the day when there aren't any screaming teenagers around!

Glad you're enjoying the Twilight series catwoman. I was really anti-twilight before I was tortured ... sorry I mean coaxed :D .. into reading them on here. I'm glad I did in the end, I really enjoyed him, and my daughter has re-read them several times! :lol: I would say do see the film, it's not as good as the book, (are they ever?) but still pretty good.

I'm definately team Edward btw, although lately I'm more team Eric! :friends0:

Eclipse is my favourite too, out of the four books (although Twilight would be a close second). I'm really looking forward to the movie version of Eclipse, as long as they include some of the most important scenes. I also agree about the end of New Moon, the last few chapters of that book might just be my favourite overall, I'm just not a fan of Jacob therefore the book itself is my least favourite.