Catwoman's Reading List 2009

catwoman

Yet another great review catwoman! :friends0: I'm so glad you decided to read Twilight for yourself and not listen to anyone's opinion, that's the way to make up one's own mind about things ;) I'm pretty sure you'll like the next book too.

Can't wait for your review on the first Sookie book! :(

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet another great review catwoman! :friends0: I'm so glad you decided to read Twilight for yourself and not listen to anyone's opinion, that's the way to make up one's own mind about things :D I'm pretty sure you'll like the next book too.

Can't wait for your review on the first Sookie book! :)

Awe thank you! :(

Exactly! How can one have an opinion about something when they have never even read it! I was pleasantly surprised I was expecting more gushing and more I love yous' in it. I would have chucked the book out of the window if it had ;).

Looking forward to the Sookie books as I have neard NOTHING BUT GOOD! so making sure both kids are out for the count, beer in hand and away I go!

Cw, so glad you like Twilight. I wasn't too keen in reading them and I am a huge vampire fan but out of curiosity I ordered the book from the library so see what all the raving was about. I have to admit I wasn't expecting what I read and I was hooked and couldn't put the book down. So when I finished Twilight my librarian ordered New Moon for me without asking did I want it. :friends0: But as I told you before my library took ages to order it in for me so I couldn't wait and bought all the books. Needless to say I was hooked on all of them. Can't wait until you read the rest for your review so we can discuss the story without me giving away any spoilers for you. :(

I see you are reading Dead Until Dark now. I just finished it a few days ago and loved it. Still have to do my review for it though.

Edited by Shin

Cw, so glad you like Twilight. I wasn't too keen in reading them and I am a huge vampire fan but out of curiosity I ordered the book from the library so see what all the raving was about. I have to admit I wasn't expecting what I read and I was hooked and couldn't put the book down. So when I finished Twilight my librarian ordered New Moon for me without asking did I want it. :friends0: But as I told you before my library took ages to order it in for me so I couldn't wait and bought all the books. Needless to say I was hooked on all of them. Can't wait until you read the rest for your review so we can discuss the story without me giving away any spoilers for you. :(

I see you are reading Dead Until Dark now. I just finished it a few days ago and loved it. Still have to do my review for it though.

Yeah I think I will be finished by tomorrow, it is a really quick read. It is not bad. Not as good as I thought to be honest but hopefully that will change. I think becuase I have heard so many great reviews I kind of hyped it up and now I am regreting it.

As for Twilight, yeah it was a little bit of a surprise and I am waiting for New Moon to arrive in my library, I have it on reserve and they don't normally take that long, I also have a pile of reading to do before them so probably not a bad thing.

Book #7: Dead until dark by charlaine Harris.

Synopsis

Sookie Stackhouse is a small-time cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's quiet, keeps to herself, and doesn't get out much - not because she's not pretty - she's a very cute bubbly blonde - or not interested in a social life. She really is ...but Sookie's got a bit of a disability. She can read minds. And that doesn't make her too dateable. And then along comes Bill: he's tall, he's dark and he's handsome - and Sookie can't 'hear' a word he's thinking. He's exactly the type of guy she's been waiting all her life for. But Bill has a disability of his own: he's fussy about his food, he doesn't like suntans and he's never around during the day ...Yep, Bill's a vampire. Worse than that, he hangs with a seriously creepy crowd, with a reputation for trouble - of the murderous kind. And then one of Sookie's colleagues at the bar is killed, and it's beginning to look like Sookie might be the next victim ...

Ok I bought this book from Play.com as I had people really raving this book and my OH who NEVER EVER reads telling me to buy it so I did. Like Twilight I was willing to be open minded and read this book without looking at it like some love story. :friends0:

I think my OH sums up this book in one sentance. Twilight is the Harry Potter of the Sookie Stackhouse series. The things that Twilight leaves out, due to it being a YA book the Stackhouse series puts in and much much more! ;)

Lust, sassy and vampire bites are the three things that jump into my head about this book. There is no introductions, no scene settings, you are straight into the action, which to be honest took me by surprise and I re read the first 50 pages to make sure that had not missed something.

The book is a fun read, I giggled in some parts,

Bubba was especially funny!

and I empathised in other parts. I am still unsure about my liking for Sookie. Bill, for me is a Mr Darcy with fangs!!! There were some twist and turns in the book that I did not figure out and I liked that. I actually was not gripped by

the Murder storyline. I actually did not care nor yearned to find out who he was

. But I was interested and will read the next books to find out

the significance of Eric! - I am sure you hardcore Sookie fans are laughing at me knowing stuff that I don't know! :(

In a nutshell it is a quick, fast paced read and should be read. I will be reading the next one.

8/10

Edited by catwoman

Excellent reviews, Catwoman! I agree with everything you said about Twilight and am glad you are hooked and are planning on reading the rest. If anything they are addictive, and at least now you can give an informed opinion :friends0:. Please let us know how you are finding New Moon when you start that one!

Good stuff Catwoman! :smile2: The beginning of Dead Until was really fast paced and just like you I had to read it very closely and read some paragraps again so I'd make sure I wouldn't miss a thing. And I love Bubba as well, he's one of the best characters in the series! Oh **** I can't wait for you to read further :motz: Hurry up!!

Good stuff Catwoman! :smile2: The beginning of Dead Until was really fast paced and just like you I had to read it very closely and read some paragraps again so I'd make sure I wouldn't miss a thing. And I love Bubba as well, he's one of the best characters in the series! Oh **** I can't wait for you to read further :motz: Hurry up!!

Haha, well I have it reserved so hopefully soon. I havea few reserved including the other TWILIGHTS. So i will be vamped out by the end of the year

Book #7: Dead until dark by charlaine Harris.

Lust, sassy and vampire bites are the three things that jump into my head about this book. There is no introductions, no scene settings, you are straight into the action, which to be honest took me by surprise and I re read the first 50 pages to make sure that had not missed something.

The book is a fun read, I giggled in some parts,

Bubba was especially funny!

and I empathised in other parts. I am still unsure about my liking for Sookie. Bill, for me is a Mr Darcy with fangs!!! There were some twist and turns in the book that I did not figure out and I liked that. I actually was not gripped by

the Murder storyline. I actually did not care nor yearned to find out who he was

. But I was interested and will read the next books to find out

the significance of Eric! - I am sure you hardcore Sookie fans are laughing at me knowing stuff that I don't know! :smile2:

In a nutshell it is a quick, fast paced read and should be read. I will be reading the next one.

8/10

Well Catwoman, I think I might just try a Sookie Stackhouse novel. I like True Blood - although I don't watch it regularly - so I guess I know the gist of the storyline. Besides, Eric is interesting.....:motz:

Book #8 - 1st to die by James Patterson

Synopsis

As the only woman homicide inspector in San Francisco, Lindsay Boxer has to be tough. But nothing has prepared her for the brutal maniac who has begun a killing spree -- slaughtering newlywed couples. Lindsay is sickened by the deaths, but her determination to bring the murderer to justice is threatened by a personal tragedy. So she turns to Claire Washburn, a coroner, Cindy Thomas, a journalist, and Jill Bernhardt, an attorney, for help with both crises, and the Women's Murder Club is born.

This is the first book in the Women's Murder Club. I have not actually read many of this series, actually only the one previous to this.( I think it was forth of July) This was your normal James Patterson fast paced Crime thriller. With the normal super short chapters good for a bus journey or train communte. The characters are good and i found Boxer a really good character, whom I felt I 'connected' with. BUT, I do find that his writing skills are not as good as others. I found that you have to have a really good imagination to get a character in your head apart from Linsday Boxer, the other characters are basically plucked from your imagination.

Throughout the book there are many twists and turns. Some to be honest I totally rediculious and I found myself saying "Oh please":roll: but I did read it in double quick time considering the lack of time I have had to read.

If you are fan of crime and want quick easy yet 'entertaining' read then this is the book for you.

7/10

Book #9: Living dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris.

Synopsis

Cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse is having a streak of bad luck. First her co-worker is killed, and no one seems to care. Then she comes face-to-face with a beastly creature which gives her a painful and poisonous lashing. Enter the vampires, who graciously suck the poison from her veins (like they didn't enjoy it). The point is: they saved her life. So when one of the bloodsuckers asks for a favour, she obliges - and soon Sookie's in Dallas, using her telepathic skills to search for a missing vampire. She's supposed to interview certain humans involved, but she makes one condition: the vampires must promise to behave, and let the humans go unharmed. But that's easier said than done, and all it takes is one delicious blonde and one small mistake for things to turn deadly ...The Sookie Stackhouse books are delightful Southern Gothic supernatural mysteries, starring Sookie, the telepathic cocktail waitress, and a cast of increasingly colourful characters, including vampires, werewolves and things that really do go bump in the night.

I reserved this at my local library after reading the first installment in this series (Sookie Stackhouse/ True Blood). This is the second in the Series and the book is mainly set in Dallas, which was nice for me as I often travel there - well more the airport :D. I had to read it straight away as I thought it would be a good fill in and a light read for a train journey I had to go on.

I found the book to be funny, comical, yet slighter darker than before. I did find the book slightly rushed in places and I found some of the scenes a bit of a let down and left me kind of 'underwhelmed' (If that is even a word)

But - on a good note I did like the underlying stroyline of the relationship between Eric and Sookie, and the possiblities of trouble in the horizon for Sookie and Bill.

All in all, I found it to be Ok and has not put me off reading the next one, which I have ready on my shelf.

7/10

Edited by catwoman

Just thought I'd popped in to let you know I am now reading Blindslighted by Karin Slaughter and I have also got Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay on my TBR list. :friends0:

I also have Living Dead in Dallas and Club Dead on my TBR list but have to get through all these library books first. :friends0:

Tell me about it. I am struggling to see my alarm clock in the mornings due to my pile of library books beside my bed :D

I just got Club Dead and Dead to the world from my Library last week so will be read fairly soon. Thats if my Mojo decides to make a presence anytime soon. :friends0:

My reading Mojo! Haha.

YOu will see the word mentioned alot on here :friends0:.

If I have my Mojo I read alot!

:thud:I just had a blonde moment!! I do have blonde hair in case anyone takes offense. :D

But glad that I am not the only one that lost my mojo...that is happening to me right now.

That's why I haven't been on here a while too. Need to get my Mojo back.

I will get off this computer and read Blindsighted!!

:thud:I just had a blonde moment!! I do have blonde hair in case anyone takes offense. :D

But glad that I am not the only one that lost my mojo...that is happening to me right now.

That's why I haven't been on here a while too. Need to get my Mojo back.

I will get off this computer and read Blindsighted!!

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did mate!:friends0:

Book #10: Dexter in the dark.

Synopsis

Dexter Morgan is busy planning his wedding to Rita to complete his nice-guy disguise. But when a student is found burnt, molested and headless - seemingly sacrificed to an ancient god - and Dex is brought in as forensic analyst to help investigate, he realises he could be dealing with someone a whole lot more sinister than he is. Soon it seems the dark passenger in Dexter's head has gone into hiding. And when something creeps out your friendly neighbourhood serial killer, you know it's serious ...As Halpern and Dexter are stalked by death, it looks like it's getting personal - especially as Dex now has a family to protect. Gradually, Dexter realises his stepchildren might share his extracurricular interest in death. Could he help them target their bloodlust, just as he steers his own? But to do that, Dex must cope with a certain mutilated sergeant from his past, and more importantly ...stay alive ...

I was looking forward to reading this book as I loved the previous books. I restarted the book after opting to read a Sookie Stackhouse novel first.

After reading the first 70 pages I found my Mojo dissappearing. I was not sure if it was the book or just my Mojo taking a break, but I kept plodding along. After a week had only read another 30 pages and finding it hard to 'connect' with the book. I just found it had a slightly different feel than other Dexter books.

Anyway, today I had the morning off and decided to go for it and sit on the couch armed with coffee and read until my eyes bled, as I felt my mojo returning. Becuase of this I realised that I dont think it was my mojo weening it was actually the book.

This is a hard review to write as I don't want to give to much away for fans of the series. Other than I felt that he kind of changed genre - If that makes sense to other people. I found some of the reasons I love Dexter is because of

some of his personalities of his sociopath persona, and the dark passenger of his. This book has changed all that. I kind of feel that Lindsay kind of made Dexter into an ordinary man who has been taken over by a dark being, which has 'made him bad'.

I kind of got confused with the main murders that were happening and during some parts of the book I could not keep my concentration on the page. I also could not understand why

he had to add a Hurracaine into the mix.. Did I miss something?? I found that that had no impact on the book at all, and just made it feel even more different and strange.

All in all I feel it is an average Thriller. If you have read the first two books then you have to read thi,. but please do not get any misconceptions that it is going to be as good as it's predicesors... It's not.

All in all it is a shame, but still worth the read for Dexter fans.

5/10

Glad to see you got the next two Sookie books and will be able to read them soon! If I remember correctly, the number 4 book in the series was quite a favorite with most of us on the forum, so happy reading, there's some good stuff ahead of you :D

Also happy to see you were finally able to finish Dexter in the Dark. I've tried reading the book twice now and have always finished after 20 pages or so and I just can't get further with it :D It's just like you said, it's so hard to connect with that book and get the reading juices flowing! :/

Glad to see you got the next two Sookie books and will be able to read them soon! If I remember correctly, the number 4 book in the series was quite a favorite with most of us on the forum, so happy reading, there's some good stuff ahead of you :D

Also happy to see you were finally able to finish Dexter in the Dark. I've tried reading the book twice now and have always finished after 20 pages or so and I just can't get further with it :D It's just like you said, it's so hard to connect with that book and get the reading juices flowing! :/

Yep i am totally with you. I kept going becuase it was Dexter and it was not a very long book, and ater reading the Girl with the dragon Tattoo and not liking the beginning that much but thought the ending was one of the best pieces of written work ever, I decided to give it a shot.

I would say read it as I think you have to, as it is part of Dexter's journey, but for no other reason. The only good thing is the continuing storyline of Dexter and Rita's kids.

But I am nearly finished my Jack Kerley book and loving it Mojo in full force. I have 60 pages to read which I intend to do this morning, and start on the next.. It is fantastic!

Book #11: The Hundredth Man by Jack Kerley

A darkly compelling serial-killer novel introducing the next big name in psychological thrillers and, in Carson Ryder, a fascinating and complex protagonist set for many books to come. A body is found in the sweating heat of an Alabama night; headless, words inked on the skin. Detective Carson Ryder is good at this sort of thing -- crazies and freaks. To his eyes it is no crime of passion, and when another mutilated victim turns up his suspicions are confirmed. This is not the work of a 'normal' murderer, but that of a serial killer, a psychopath. Famous for solving a series of crimes the year before, Carson Ryder has experience with psychopaths. But he had help with that case -- strange help, from a past Ryder is trying to forget. Now he needs it again. When the truth finally begins to dawn, it shines on an evil so twisted, so dangerous, it could destroy everything that he cares about!

Ok I was recommended this book by Mac, thank you so much Mac. I intended to read another in the Carson Ryder series, but got told to start from the beginning and I am so glad I did.

Wow!!! What can I say. I twist a minute yet complex piece of writing, very psychological and very dark. Some memorable characters that I instantly took a liking too. I felt the empathy for the characters were nearly up there with Slaughter's Sara and Jeffery Toliver. Carson Ryder's character is complex yet easy to relate to in many ways. His struggles in life and constant paisn from the past make him an instant loveable hero. His partner Harry is also a good character and plays well with Carson. The only thing about the Characters is Eva. I like her character

but I found her problem with the alcohol a little far fetch, one minute she is screaming the place down for a beer, the next she is Ok, even after the whole experience at the end??!! Hmm. I hope she features in the next books and it shows her struggles with the dreaded 'Demon'.

In some places the language was a little lost on me and I did not understand some of the dialect and 'twangs'. But thanks to my OH who is American he was able to tell me what certain words and phrases ment.

The actual murders were original and compelling. Like I said previously many twists and turns and many red herrings on the way. I totally did not get the endings or many of the twists leading up to it.

All in all a good thriller with a lot to look forward to for the next book. There are still a few questions to be answered and a few characters whom I feel have a lot more to give. A promising Debut novel and a muss for all Tess Grittsen/ Jeffery Deaver/ Slaughter fans.

9/10

Oh ****! I've just started reading Karin Slaughter's Blindsighted and I've only read like 27 pages and I'm already totally hooked on the book! And now to hear there's another serial killer book series that's a must read for us Deaver & Slaughter fans!! (I've also Gerritsen's books on my shelves but haven't read any of them yet) :D TBR is increasing yet again... Thanks catwoman and Mac, I definitely need to start hunting down Kerley's books :lol:

Oh ****! I've just started reading Karin Slaughter's Blindsighted and I've only read like 27 pages and I'm already totally hooked on the book! And now to hear there's another serial killer book series that's a must read for us Deaver & Slaughter fans!! (I've also Gerritsen's books on my shelves but haven't read any of them yet) :D TBR is increasing yet again... Thanks catwoman and Mac, I definitely need to start hunting down Kerley's books :lol:

Yes I would recommend them, also the Gerritsen's books! Sounds like you have the best TBR pile ever!

Oh ****! I've just started reading Karin Slaughter's Blindsighted and I've only read like 27 pages and I'm already totally hooked on the book!

Ohh, I will have a look in Waterstones later and see if I can pick up a copy of that. Some great suggestions in this thread.