Catwoman's Reading List 2009

catwoman

Ok now I noticed how awesome people's threads are and a place where I get great book recommendations to go in my little black wishlist book.

So I decided to give it a go, even though my grammer sucks and I can't review very well, but hopefully you guys might spot a book that you like and it gives you as many hours of pleasure as it did for me.

Start of Reading list: 28th August 2009

Book #1 Deja dead by Kathy Reichs

I was recommended this author by someone on the forum (sorry I forgot who :D!) and they said it was from the person who inspired the BONES TV series. Even though I had only watched a few I really liked the storylines so I knew this had to be a must.

It was from my local library and was the follow on read to Patricia Cornwell's Postmortem. This I felt worked well as there has been many conparisons to the two authors.

From the Waterstones website.

Synopsis

The #1 Bestseller That Introduces Kathy Reichs' Acclaimed Heroine: Forensic Anthropologist Dr. Temperance Brennan In the year since Temperance Brennan left behind a shaky marriage in North Carolina, work has often preempted her weekend plans to explore Quebec. When a female corpse is discovered meticulously dismembered and stashed in garbage bags, Tempe detects an alarming pattern -- and she plunges into a harrowing search for a killer in the city's winding streets. But her investigation is about to place those closest to her -- her best friend and her own daughter -- in mortal danger....

This is the first book in the Dr Temperance Brennan Series.

When I started this book I noticed that the charactors especially Temps were nothing like the show. If you are a HUGE fan of the series. It will take a while to adapt to the book and change your perception of the charactor. It took me a good 100 pages to fully get her out of my mind.

This aside. I found the book to be quick paced with many twists and turns. There are many sub plots to the book and many charactors to become aquainted with. I find Temp a far more indepth charactor someone who I was able to feel for and have feeligs for. With Cornwell's Scapetta I really did not care. I also liked the character Ryan and hope that he is in future Tempe books.

The last 200 pages flew by and I could not put it down. I found the forensic depth fantastic and gave me a real insight and mental image of the crimes.

Bad points. It is a fairly long book for this type of genre, with some scenes having a bit too much detailing and some of Tempe's 'thinking' dialouge kind of went over my head. But overall I was still impressed.

If you like Cornwell's style and love a good detective/crime genre then this is a must.

I am already looking forward to reading the next one!

9/10

(I hope the review was ok!)

CW.

Edited by catwoman

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kathy Reichs, yeah. She's a good one. I have most of her books. Let me know if you have trouble getting hold of any. :tong:

Thanks Chrissy!

Once I am back from my hols I am going to go and seeif I can get the next one from the library. I also have one of latest ones on my TBR pile.

:D

Hiya Catwoman,

great to see you're writing your own bookblog! :motz: I'll be definitely popping in to see what you've been reading. I'm so glad you enjoyed Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs, I think you'll enjoy the other Tempe Brennan books. I'm not sure but I think we had that conversation about Reichs's books and they being the base for the show. If I remember correctly you hadn't heard about Kathy Reichs before joining the forum?

I'm glad Charm's persuaded you to read Darkly Dreaming Dexter and I noticed from the Book Activity Thread that you're really enjoying the book! It's nice to have new Dexter lovers around :) Be sure to read the other books as well :)

Keep up the good work, your review on Deja Dead was great! :lol:

Keep up the good work, your review on Deja Dead was great! :)

Absolutely, thouroughly agree!:motz:

I have also read the first Dexter, and loved it, but have stopped myself from buying the others just yet. I have too many books to get through at the moment and I want to pace myself a little! :)

Hiya Catwoman,

great to see you're writing your own bookblog! I'll be definitely popping in to see what you've been reading. I'm so glad you enjoyed Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs, I think you'll enjoy the other Tempe Brennan books. I'm not sure but I think we had that conversation about Reichs's books and they being the base for the show. If I remember correctly you hadn't heard about Kathy Reichs before joining the forum?

I'm glad Charm's persuaded you to read Darkly Dreaming Dexter and I noticed from the Book Activity Thread that you're really enjoying the book! It's nice to have new Dexter lovers around Be sure to read the other books as well

Keep up the good work, your review on Deja Dead was great!

No I had not heard of her. I definately did not know she inspired bones. i willl be reading more

Yeah Charm like many of the other books that I have on my wish list I have been recommended by Charm. I am half way through as my youngest was ill last night and all day I have been packing and finally got my hair done. So I have not read a SINGLE PAGE!!!! But I do love it! I have watched a couple of the TV episodes and did not like it much. but I think that is for me the choice of the actor for Dexter. I have my own dexter in my head ( I have simon Baker - The man as the Mentalist as mine) and this is what is making the books so good. I actaully laugh out loud it is sooo good! I will make sure that I read the other books :motz:

thank you for your kind words. :) I hope you like my next reviews. Hopefully I will have some more when I come back from my holiday, more like a short break.

Absolutely, thouroughly agree!:D

I have also read the first Dexter, and loved it, but have stopped myself from buying the others just yet. I have too many books to get through at the moment and I want to pace myself a little! :lol:

Thanks chrissy for your kind words also :). I know what you mean about the amount of books to get through. It is too damn easy to reserve books from my library online.

Yeah Charm like many of the other books that I have on my wish list I have been recommended by Charm.

The worst thing I have to say about Charm is that she has so many great things that she's recommending all the time :) We mostly have a similar kind of taste, so it's great, but really bad for my TBR :)

I have watched a couple of the TV episodes and did not like it much. but I think that is for me the choice of the actor for Dexter. I have my own dexter in my head ( I have simon Baker - The man as the Mentalist as mine) and this is what is making the books so good. I actaully laugh out loud it is sooo good! I will make sure that I read the other books :lol:

Awww, too bad you don't like the real choice for Dexter :( But I think Simon Baker is a good choice for your in-own-head Dexter :motz: He's mighty fine looking fellar ^^

Come back soon and keep on writing the reviews! I hope you have some time off to read more of Dexter :D

Careful frankie and catwoman, you're makin me blush! :)

Soooo glad you're enjoying Dexter catwoman, he's brilliant! That was a great review too, I enjoyed that Kathy Reich as well :) Keep up the good work! :motz:

Hi there. I have both Kathy Reichs books and the Dexter books to read - I picked up a bunch of Reichs' books for a pound in a charity shop, but bought the job lot of the Dexter books from Waterstone's due to the high praise he gets on this forum.

Hope you're well, Catwoman. Great review, mate.

Careful frankie and catwoman, you're makin me blush! :)

Soooo glad you're enjoying Dexter catwoman, he's brilliant! That was a great review too, I enjoyed that Kathy Reich as well :) Keep up the good work! :motz:

Awe thanks! yeah I managed to sneek in another 20 pages last night and I really do love it. can't wait to finish it off.

Hi there. I have both Kathy Reichs books and the Dexter books to read - I picked up a bunch of Reichs' books for a pound in a charity shop, but bought the job lot of the Dexter books from Waterstone's due to the high praise he gets on this forum.

Hope you're well, Catwoman. Great review, mate.

Thanks mate! You are lucky to get a bundle of Reich's books that cheap. I have only been able to find one of hers in a charity shop. But will be looking for more.

Love avatar pic. Nothing better than a picture of a live gig!

Happy reading everyone and thanks to ALL of you for your nice comments!

Ok finally back from the hols and did not manage to get much reading done :D

I did however manage to finish Darkly Dreaming Dexter. So, here is my review.

Book # 2 - Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay

I was recommended this by Charm. Thanks charm :lol:

From Waterstones Website

Dexter Morgan isn't exactly the kind of man you'd bring home to your mum. At heart, he's the perfect gentleman: he has a shy girlfriend, and seems to lead a quiet, normal life bordering on the mundane. Despite the fact that he can't stand the sight of blood, he works as a blood-spatter analyst for the Miami police. But Dexter also has a secret hobby: he is an accomplished serial killer. So far, he's killed 36 people and has never been caught because he knows exactly how to hide the evidence. And while that may lead some people to assume he's not such a nice guy, he tempers his insatiable hunger for brutality by only killing the bad guys. However, Dexter's well-organised life is suddenly disrupted when a second, much more visible serial killer appears in Miami. Intrigued that the other killer favours a style similar to his own, Dexter soon realises that the mysterious new arrival is not simply invading his turf but offering him a direct invitation to 'come out and play'...

To be honest I was a little worried I would not be able to shake off the actor who plays Dexter out of my head. I aam not a big fan of the show and this was something I thought might ruin the book for me. But instantly I had my own image of dexter. For some reason Simon Baker (The mentalist) was my Dexter. So me not liking the show was not a problem and I was able to read the book without any missconceptions. I also think because I had only watched a couple episodes I had no pre concieved ideas of what was going to happen or how charactors should be.

It is a short book in comparison to other books. But this does not mean that it has left out important factors or detail. Ok it is not incredibly detailed, which for me is not a bad thing. It does not go into graphic detail of each murder. But the Dialoge is amazing and gives you enough atmosphere to have a firmly planted image in your head. The charactor of Dexter is charactorised really well. Also I found Debs to be a great character. I have been told by a friend that on the TV show other characters are more prominant than what they are in the first book.

Overall this is a fantastic quick paced book, that brings a different type of book for all us crime fantatics. With the quick pace and the humour it is a must for anyone who wants a quick a light read.

But for fans of detailed novels and who like the indepth detail of crime scenes and medical techincal details it may not be for you.

It is highly recommended from me and there are a lot of fans on this forum. I will be looking out for the next novels.

9/10

Thanks for the people who recommended it.

Edited by catwoman

:D I'm so glad you enjoyed this catwoman! Could we have another budding Dexterette to join our social group?? :lol:

I do agree with you about the gory detailing, but I think you'll find in the second book (the best of the series IMO) the gore factor is stepped up a notch and there is a lot more humour too. As you say the technical jargon is less than most crime books but for a light quick read, I think they're brilliant :tong:

:tong: I'm so glad you enjoyed this catwoman! Could we have another budding Dexterette to join our social group?? :D

I do agree with you about the gory detailing, but I think you'll find in the second book (the best of the series IMO) the gore factor is stepped up a notch and there is a lot more humour too. As you say the technical jargon is less than most crime books but for a light quick read, I think they're brilliant :D

Yes I might add myself to the socail group. I have just wrote down the other book titles in my little black wishlist book. Once I have goen trhough my library books and dented my TBR pile I think I will be reading the next one. especially if there is a little more detailing.

Thanks again Charm :lol:

Ok the review that I had to do straight away.

Book #3: Karin Slaughter- Genisis.

Synopsis

Someone had spent time with her someone well-practised in the art of pain... Three and a half years ago former Grant County medical examiner Sara Linton moved to Atlanta hoping to leave her tragic past behind her. Now working as a doctor in Atlanta's Grady Hospital she is starting to piece her life together. But when a severely wounded young woman is brought in to the emergency room, she finds herself drawn back into a world of violence and terror. The woman has been hit by a car but, naked and brutalised, it's clear that she has been the prey of a twisted mind. When Special Agent Will Trent of the Criminal Investigation Team returns to the scene of the accident, he stumbles on a torture chamber buried deep beneath the earth. And this hidden house of horror reveals a ghastly truth Sara's patient is just the first victim of a sick, sadistic killer. Wrestling the case away from the local police chief, Will and his partner Faith Mitchell find themselves at the centre of a grisly murder hunt. And Sara, Will and Faith each with their own wounds and their own secrets are the only thing that stands between a madman and his next crime

I was in two minds about this book prior to reading due to her previous books. Slaughter had to prove and convince me to stay loyal to her. I have all her other books on my bookshelf, all hardbacks and even a signed edition of Indeliable. So this had to be good.

AND IT DID NOT LET ME DOWN... SLAUGHTER AT HER BEST!!!!

Within thirty pages I was hooked. I was fortunate to have the day off and I sat all day reading and did not budge! The story combines the Grant County series with sara Linton and the Will Trent series! A combination that got me salivating just thinking about it.

The crimes are typical Slaughter gruesome, up there with Blindsighted and Kisscut. What Slaughter does for the first half of the book is really emphasise the characters really show off their traits and personalities so you love/ hate them. She had to do this for the benefit of her fans. She even dedicates the book to her readers for sticking by her. (Obviously for the book Skin Privliage) After the half way point, it jumps into action packed mode. In which the storylines twist and turn and you do not know where you are heading, just like Slaughter's books are like.

Karin Slaughter at her best. I can't give too much away as I don't want to ruin a single page for the reader. But it leaves you wanting more. I am dying for the next installment and I hope that they keep the Trent/Grant county combination, it could really be something special.

For people who have never read some of her books. I would say it is not compulsory to have read previous books but I would recommend it, especially Skin Privaliage, Triptych and maybe even Fractured where faith is introduced. If you don't I don't think that you willl gain much from some of the characters especially Sara.

The only bad points and I am only stating these because for some people these are bad points. It states that this is the 7th Grant County series but Sara is not the most prominant character, still a major lead but Will and Faith are the two main characters. I hope that if this combination continues that Sara will become more involved without it becoming two much of a soap opera.

The best book I have read all year. I am still buzzing I am waiting for the next one!!!

A definate 10/10.

Brilliant review catwoman! Sounds like you really enjoyed this, glad to hear Karin Slaughter is back on form :lol: I have Triptych on my shelf so may bump it up a bit and add Genesis to my wishlist (beside Fractured :irked:)

Thanks Charm!

Triptych is a great book and does have to be read before genisis. You will Love Will Trent! It is a really good book :lol:

Book #4 - Dearly Devoted Dexter by Jeff Lindsay.

After finishing Genisis I was kind of stuck on what to read. Every book Geek has had that problem. I went to my library and there to my surprise was the next installment of the Dexter series. Because I knew they were a fantastic lught and quick read I decided to get it.

Taken from the Waterstones Website.

Synopsis

Miami's best-dressed serial killer is back and on the prowl, at least he would be if he could shake off his permanent shadow. Ever since their paths first crossed, Sergeant Doakes hasn't let Dexter Morgan out of his sight. Dexter may well be the Miami PD's blood-spatter analyst, but Sgt. Doakes has a pretty good idea of how Dex likes to spend his free time and he's determined to catch him in the act. Dex hasn't killed in months and is getting twitchy. To throw Doakes off his scent, he's spending more time with Rita, his girlfriend. But no matter how many cosy nights they spend in front of the TV, Doakes is still watching. Then a body turns up, horribly mutilated and barely alive. To trap the torturer, Doakes and Dexter will have to work together, if they can trust each other. It's a devil's pact and one of them will have to be the bait...

This was the book I needed to get me out of my 'What do I read next' problem.

I found the storyline better and I felt was a natural progression from theprevious book.

Dexter is the book he makes the book. His character are the good points of the book, his one liners are fantastic and Lindsay knows when to put them in the book. I did like the Doakes/ Dexter storyline and

I hope that they could have kept that going

I also love how Dexter's relationship with Rita and her kids is progressing. They are one of the few characters who I have a feel for. I love the gradual storyline about

Rita's kids and them having the same 'feelings and urges; that Dexter has, that is what makes me want to read the next books

The only bad thing about the book was that I kept thinking. Wow! What if Slaughter or Deaver had thought of the idea of the murders. Imagine how gruesome they could be. If you like you gorey, complex, indepth and jargon filled crime books. you may not like it. But what it is a quick laugh a minute murder book, there is not another one like it.

It did the job and was better than the first. Have ordered book number three.

9.5/10. Reason for not giving it a 10 was becuase for me personally I like a bit more detailing of the murders and little bit more of a guessing element. But I LOVE DEXTER!

I found it harder to review than what I thought.

My next book is Dead witch walking by Kim Harrision which is a total shift in genre. It was recommended by my Librarian and has a good review by Kelley Armstrong. so lets hope.

I have all four of these books to read on my shelf. I'm well looking forward to them, as the young say using their vernacular! They sound, like, well sick, guy!

I have all four of these books to read on my shelf. I'm well looking forward to them, as the young say using their vernacular! They sound, like, well sick, guy!

Yo! Well sick, innit? These books are banging and I is recommending that you boi should read it cuz it is well good! :lol:

Word! :lol:

Great review, think I'll add these onto my wishlist, which is increasing everytime I'm on this forum!!! :lol:

I know. It is terrible I am so glad that my library is in walking distance and the nearest Waterstones is miles away so I can't spend money ALL the time!

CW

I really need to sign up to the library round the corner here, but I don't want to do that until I've read all or most of the books I haven't read that I've brought. The trouble is I keep adding to them :lol:

That was my feeling until I noticed that the number of books I read to the number of books I was buying was not working well so I decided to use the online reservation service. I even have it as a bookmark now.:lol:

Great review CW - I cannot wait to read this! You have really given me the reading tinglies about the darned book now! :lol:

Yep! Genisis is a must mate! She is back to her old form. I can't believe I have to wait until 2010 for the next one!

Great review CW, I definitely wil add the Dexter books to my wish list as well as the others you have suggested. I have just bought Bitten by Kelley Armstrong and also Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. More to add to my TBR list as well as the James Patterson books on my list. I have also found the online reservation with my library too which I have reserved Blindsighted. I have also bought a few chick lits aswell (I just don't know how I am getting through them all :lol:). But I think now I'll just reserve my books at the library.