Catwoman's Reading List 2009

catwoman

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D OMG I almost spit the coffee right out of my mouth at that doll comment!! You are crazy, CW! Although I agree, hee-hee! They do have cardboard Edward standees for sale you could always get, although, um, those are a bit one-dimensional :lol:.

And then I scrolled down and saw Chesilbeach talking about my watching of the film :lol:. You are spot on, CB, mostly with the commentary on! I agree that it's not as good as the book, but I'll still watch it over and over because of Mr. Neck obviously :friends0:.

<--- That dude right there in my avvie, CW. If you decide to rent it, the second time you watch it (oh you know you'll watch it more than once!) try it with commentary. He's hilarious, truly :friends0:.

Wel he has a rather nice neck. :D Maybe I will watch it next time I fly.

Book #14: Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

Synopsis

There's only one vampire Sookie Stackhouse is involved with - at least voluntarily - and that's Bill. But recently he's been a little distant - in another state distant. His sinister and sexy boss Eric has an idea where to find him, and next thing Sookie knows she's off to Jackson, Mississippi, to mingle with the underworld at Club Dead. It's a dangerous little haunt where the elusive vampire society can go to chill out and suck down some Type O - but when Sookie finally finds Bill caught in an act of serious betrayal she's not sure whether to save him, or to sharpen some stakes. The Sookie Stackhouse books are delightful Southern Gothic supernatural mysteries, starring Sookie, the telepathic cocktail waitress, and a cast of increasingly colourful characters, including vampires, werewolves and things that really do go bump in the night.

Ok I read this book as it was short and I new it would be a light read. After the previous book (Living dead in Dallas) I was not actually expecting all the much from the book... But I love it!

I feel like the books and the characters are coming to life. even though I don't know what all these 'men' find so attractive about Sookie. Eric is more of a prominant character in this book and I actaully was starting to warm to him now, also I love Bubba what a fantastic character he is.

As for the storyine, Ok so it is not the most detailed of novels, yet unlike book 2 I did find myself captivated, I read 200 pages in one sitting.

I feel like the book left you fully ready and prepared for book four with the continuing storylines ready to be continued.

This book left me wanting more. I do have the next book ready to read so I just might carry on with the series.

9/10

Club Dead is my second favourite book in the whole series :D I love Eric but really love Bubba too. He's a great character to keep cropping up. I agree with you that I was a bit bored by book 2, but this one picked up again :friends0: Happy reading for the rest of the series!

Club Dead is my second favourite book in the whole series :D I love Eric but really love Bubba too. He's a great character to keep cropping up. I agree with you that I was a bit bored by book 2, but this one picked up again :friends0: Happy reading for the rest of the series!

Thanks Stephanie.

I do have a few books which I am contemplating reading, as there are a few that I have to take back to the library soon.

I am either going to read Ecplise, Death Collectors (back to reading Crime thriller) or the next Sookie book.

Book #15: The Death Collectors by Jack Kerley

Synopsis

A terrifying new serial-killer thriller featuring Carson Ryder, hero of the best-selling "The Hundredth Man". Thirty years after his death, Marsden Hexcamp's "Art of the Final Moment" remains as sought after as ever. But this is no ordinary collection. Hexcamp's portfolio was completed with the aid of a devoted band of acolytes - and half a dozen victims, each of whom was slowly tortured to death so that their final agonies could be distilled into art. When tiny scraps of Hexcamp's 'art' begin appearing at murder scenes alongside gruesomely displayed corpses, detective Carson Ryder and his partner Harry Nautilus must go back three decades in search of answers. Meanwhile an auction has been announced and the death collectors are gathering. These wealthy connoisseurs of serial-killer memorabilia will pay millions to acquire Hexcamp's art - unless Carson and Harry can beat them in their quest for the anti-grail.

Ok this is book two in the Carson Ryder series. I loved the previous book and was much looking forward to reading this one. It did not let me down and in many respects I prefered this one better. I loved the storyline, I found it original and had read nothing previously like it, it gave a new angle to a genre that is bulging at the seems with books. The two main charactors Ryder and Nautilus are back on top form and play well with each other. There is also a new charactor which gets added to the mix. I will say that some people may find the new character rather annoying. Also there is a character not in the book and I found that rather strange to be honest. I won't go into any more details but I found that the only pert of the book that I was dissapointed in.

The plot was quick, fast with loads of twists and turns, back and forths and kept me well and truely hooked.

I have the next two ready to read!

9/10

Great reviews Catwoman! I like the sound of The Death Collectors :welcome2: So pleased you're enjoying the Sookie books too :)

Thanks Charm!

I think you would like The death collectors. It was recommended by Mac actually. I liked the sound of one of the later books but he recommended i started at the beginning. It has a lot of the psychology element in it, esepcially when his brother is brought into the mix. It does have grusome murders, and has the right mix of forensic detail, as I know some people on here are not into real graphic forensic description.

I would recommend for people who like the quickness of Patterson (Even though it has far more twists and turns and far more detailing -especially when it comes to the characters) Deaver, and Slaughter

Book #16: Eclipse - Stephanie Meyer.

Synopsis

'Bella?' Edward's soft voice came from behind me. I turned to see him spring lightly up the porch steps, his hair windblown from running. He pulled me into his arms at once, and kissed me again. His kiss frightened me. There was too much tension, too strong an edge to the way his lips crushed mine - like he was afraid we had only so much time left to us. As Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob - knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation approaching, Bella has one more decision to make: life or death. But which is which? Following the international bestsellers Twilight and New Moon, Eclipse is the much-anticipated third book in Stephenie Meyer's captivating saga of vampire romance.

So this is thethird book in the series - Like people did not know :welcome2:. Now I am not sure if this review is going to be very reliable as for the first half of the book my mojo had dissppeared while I was going through some problems. But this morning my mojo came back and I raced through the book.

First of all I ld like to say I can't stand Bella, she annoys me. I also can't stand Jacob. Not a good start. But I love Edward.

I love the stroy of the love triange and especailly the camping tent chapter, how hillarious was that I was constantly laughing outloud!

I was utter bored

with the warewolf chapter and the histpry behind it. I really did not care about the warewolf heritage, I actually thought there maybe some relivance to it later on in the book.

Apart from the love that I have for the characters in Karin Slaughter's novels, I really do feel for Meyer's characters, I especially feel for the Cullins' how each one of their stories has a powerful story.

How Edwards morals still hark back to the time he was human, his wishes for marrage, and the 'sins of pre- marital sex. I found it refreshing for a book (especally a vampire book) not to have sex in it. It was refreshing, yet realistic. I felt a yearn for them to do it, yet at the same time I wanted them to wait.

Fantastic.

This was not my favourite of the twilight series. I was not holding my breath as much as New Moon, I did not feel as much suspense. But I liked it all the same and can't wait to read what happens now!!!!

8/10

I agree with most of what you said. Jacob irritates me, I hate the werewolf part and find myself skipping through most of it when I reread it. However, I love this book. I really love how much the whole Cullen family is in it, I love that Rosalie finally explains her story and agree about the tent scene :welcome2:

I agree with most of what you said. Jacob irritates me, I hate the werewolf part and find myself skipping through most of it when I reread it. However, I love this book. I really love how much the whole Cullen family is in it, I love that Rosalie finally explains her story and agree about the tent scene :welcome2:

I did really enjoy it and I was not sure whether to actually review it due to not really being in the right frame of mind to read. I agree I loved how the characters of the Cullen's have developed, they are now starting to have real dimensions to their characters, just like Edward.

Excellent review of Eclipse, Catwoman! I agree with you on the Jacob part and the tent scene, and although Bella gets on my nerves sometimes, I don't seem to mind her as much as Jacob. I'm anxiously awaiting a couple of *key* scenes from the book to be translated onto screen :exc:.

So when are you going to start Breaking Dawn?! :tong:

Excellent review of Eclipse, Catwoman! I agree with you on the Jacob part and the tent scene, and although Bella gets on my nerves sometimes, I don't seem to mind her as much as Jacob. I'm anxiously awaiting a couple of *key* scenes from the book to be translated onto screen :exc:.

So when are you going to start Breaking Dawn?! :tong:

When it is available from my Library :( The reserve list is long :(

read most of Kathy Reiches books and have read karen slaughter books

there great

Slaughter is my favourite author, I love her!!

It is a long book so it's probably taking others forever to read it. :exc:

I am really wanting to get it before Tuesday as I am flying to the states on Tueaday and would love to have it for then. If not I can see myself buying it at the Whsmiths at the airport :tong:. Even though I have a huuuge pile of books to read.

It wasn't too hard to get you to come over to the dark side, was it Charm?! :tong: I shed many tears of joy when we get new converts, as you can probably attest!

I wish I could see NM with you guys! It would be so much fun...

To be honest it only took a couple of chapters to bring me over peacfield :exc: .. and yes, I do remember you doing quite a bit of blubbering when I arrived! :tong::(

So wish you could see New Moon with the rest of us, it would be so lovely :friends0:and at least then the cinema would be nice and quiet with all us RP fans sitting quietly swooning! :(

Book # 17: Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

Synopsis

Sookie comes to the rescue of a naked, amnesiac vampire - and ends up in the middle of a war between witches, werewolves and vampires! Sookie Stackhouse is a small-town cocktail waitress in small-town Louisiana. She's pretty. She does her job well. She keeps to herself - she has only a few close friends, because not everyone appreciates Sookie's gift: she can read minds. That's not exactly every man's idea of date bait - unless they're undead - vampires and the like can be tough to read. And that's just the kind of guy Sookie's been looking for. Maybe that's why, when she comes across a naked vampire on the way home from work, she doesn't just drive on by. He hasn't got a clue who he is, but Sookie has: Eric looks just as scary and sexy - and dead - as the day she met him. But now he has amnesia, he's sweet, vulnerable, and in need of Sookie's help - because whoever took his memory now wants his life. Sookie's investigation into what's going on leads her straight into a dangerous battle between witches, vampires and werewolves. But there could be even greater danger - to Sookie's heart, because the kinder, gentler Eric is very hard to resist. The Sookie Stackhouse books are delightful Southern Gothic supernatural mysteries, starring Sookie, the telepathic cocktail waitress, and a cast of increasingly colourful characters, including vampires, werewolves and things that really do go bump in the night.

Ok, I nearly did not write this review as I know that everybody else I have spoken to LOVES this book. I don't... Sorry :D

Ok so I normally like the Sookie Books and after Club Dead I was looking forward to this. I was in the moood for more vampire tales after finishing New Moon. Maybe this was the problem??

Ok so like normal you are put in the mix within a few chapters. It is quick and fast paced but I found that due to the quite complex storyline with many added new chartacters that for me I needed a bit more detail. I was getting a little confused by all the characters when it came to the 'big scene' near the end of the chapter.

I unfortunately felt not empathy of feelings towards any of the characters in the book. Even though I did get a little excited when Bubba and Bill made an appearance.

I felt the main chapter in the book where the

fight against the witches, wolves and vampires

was rushed, by the time I tried to get into the scene, it was finished. I felt utterly dissapointed, and felt it was an anti - climax. I think this was because I just read a fantastic fight scene in Ecplise and it just showed how lack of detailed this book really was.

But I do love Bubba!!!! One of my favourite characters ever. also I think I like Bill. I did get a little excited when he came back.

So all in all. I hated it :D

But I will continue with Sookie and hope that the next two that I have are better, if not I think I really will have to stop.

4/10

• 2 weeks later...

Book #18: The Broken Souls by Jack Kerley.

A brilliant new psychological serial killer thriller featuring homicide detective Carson Ryder, hero of the bestselling 'The Hundredth Man' and 'The Death Collectors.' Blood was everywhere, like the interior had been hosed down with an artery ! The gore-sodden horror that greets homicide detective Carson Ryder on a late-night call out is enough to make him want to quit the case. Too late. Now he and his partner Harry are up to their necks in a Southern swamp of the bizarre and disturbing. An investigation full of twists and strange clues looks like it's leading to the city's least likely suspects -- a powerful family whose philanthropy has made them famous. But behind their money and smiles is a dynasty divided by hate. Their strange and horrific past is about to engulf everyone around them in a storm of violence and depravity. And Ryder's right in the middle of it !

I had read the previous two books (Reviews made- see previous posts) and really enjoyed them. I read this in one sitting while I was on my flight to the states, so it had to be good to keep me occupied on the plane. It was good!

Kerley keeps developing the two main characters; Ryder and nautilius. They are a great partnership and you find yourselves liking them and eager for them to do well. Some charaacters in previous books make more of an appearance and others less so. But I found the book to still have the continous flowing and fast paced plot like always.

Loads of twists and turns.

Fantastic book. I have the next three books already to read.

9/10