Catwoman's Reading List 2009

catwoman

Great review CW, I definitely wil add the Dexter books to my wish list as well as the others you have suggested. I have just bought Bitten by Kelley Armstrong and also Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris. More to add to my TBR list as well as the James Patterson books on my list. I have also found the online reservation with my library too which I have reserved Blindsighted. I have also bought a few chick lits aswell (I just don't know how I am getting through them all :lol:). But I think now I'll just reserve my books at the library.

awe, I have given you another book to put on your wishlist :lol:.

That's what I have been doing to be honest mate. I have just this second ordered Dead until dark by charlaine Harris on Play.com as I can't reserve it at my library (even though they have all the others :lol:) but I tend to buy only my favourite authors or books I just can't wait for and will read straight away and not put on my TBR pile. Other than that I get from charity shops or sales. i think not living near a Waterstones helps a lot.

I have not read any kelley Armstrong as before coming on here I mainly stuck to Crime/ thrillers and Non fiction but slowly I am trying to read different genres just to spread my wings a bit, hense the book I am reading now. I don' think I can do Chick lit though, that really s not my sort of thing, I have tried, for some reason people give them to me for Xmas every year. I think they are trying to get me more feminine.

Edited by catwoman

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you on this one, CW!:lol:

I am not sure if you have seen my thread about Charm's friend and recommendations about chick lit books. but like I said on that thread. I supprised. I was sure you would have a well read Bridget Jones in your bag :lol:

But maybe I should have been a man!:lol: I am just not girly enough for Chick Lit.:D

Naturally, I have a copy of BJ (as I like to refer to it) in my handbag at all times...I mean, who doesn't? But that's the exception to the rule...:lol:

OH my!!!:lol: *Giggles* I have never heard referred to anyone having a BJ in their bag! maybe I should dip my big toe into the Chick lit pool and read BJ myself! I have watched the first movie though.

I would actually rather disembowel myself with a blunt, wooden spoon than put myself through Bridget Jones' ruddy Diary. And I cannot stand Renee Zellwhatever, with her botoxed, pinched-up and puckered face.

There. That's my spleen vented! :lol:

I would actually rather disembowel myself with a blunt, wooden spoon than put myself through Bridget Jones' ruddy Diary. And I cannot stand Renee Zellwhatever, with her botoxed, pinched-up and puckered face.

There. That's my spleen vented! :lol:

:lol::lol:

Try going with ten other girls for the beginning of a hen night. :lol: A rusty nail would be more my choice of tool. ::D

:lol: Mac and CW you two gave me a good chuckle! :lol:

So pleased you liked the Dearly Devoted One CW :lol:, it is rather different isn't it :roll: Did u laugh out loud as much as I did? :D

The howling dog bit had me howling with laughter!

I'll tell you what his new one is called, can you guess the subject matter?

Dexter Is Delicious!

:lol: Mac and CW you two gave me a good chuckle! :lol:

So pleased you liked the Dearly Devoted One CW :lol:, it is rather different isn't it :) Did u laugh out loud as much as I did? :D

The howling dog bit had me howling with laughter!

I'll tell you what his new one is called, can you guess the subject matter?

Dexter Is Delicious!

Oh my!!!! I know how I could interpret it, hehe. But then I can be rude sometimes! :roll:

I am guessing that

Maybe he gets chopped up a bit??

Or am I totally heading down the wrong path?

Oh my!!!! I know how I could interpret it, hehe. But then I can be rude sometimes! :lol:?

Hehehe oh I think I get your drift :lol:

I am guessing that

Maybe he gets chopped up a bit??

Or am I totally heading down the wrong path?

Well I believe it is about

cannibalism

but not too sure if he is the perpetrator, investigating it, or the victim! I hope it's the second choice :lol:

Hehehe oh I think I get your drift :lol:

Well I believe it is about

cannibalism

but not too sure if he is the perpetrator, investigating it, or the victim! I hope it's the second choice :lol:

I would say the latter, sounds good. I have reserved number three online so hopefully a copy from the library will arrive soon.

Book #5: The girl with the dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Synopsis

Forty years ago, Harriet Vanger disappeared from a family gathering on the island owned and inhabited by the powerful Vanger clan. Her body was never found, yet her uncle is convinced it was murder - and that the killer is a member of his own tightly knit but dysfunctional family. He employs disgraced financial journalist Mikael Blomkvist and the tattooed, truculent computer hacker Lisbeth Salander to investigate. When the pair link Harriet's disappearance to a number of grotesque murders from forty years ago, they begin to unravel a dark and appalling family history. But the Vangers are a secretive clan, and Blomkvist and Salander are about to find out just how far they are prepared to go to protect themselves.

Ok this boo was recommended on this forum and has its on thread on the Thrillers section. so I decided to pick it up from my local library I had the hardback edition which nearly broke my back bringing it home :D. I started reading and found that I was bored and little confused by all the names that were being thrown at me, and too be honest they all sounded the same. For the first 275 pages, I was bored and forced reading myself the book. There were a lot of underlying messages about the history of facism, the state of Scandinavian economics, and other passionate issues the author was trying to express... I would also like to add that the author was a well known journalists and anti Facism activist while he was alive!

The characters after a while were absorbing and by the last 200 pages you did feel for them and had a wanting for them.

After page 275 or so I did get into the book, even with it incredable detail and it's many plots and sub plots and with many locations I did enjoy it and I felt it was very different to other recent books. I found it to be a classic who dunnit novel but with a modern day gruesome and technological twist.

After just finishing the book. I have a couple of points to make. if you do decide to get the book please be prepared to have a slow start, a lot of the information at the beginning is important and gets you into the novel. At the time you will feel it pointless and some people will give up by 100 pages, but after forcing myself to read it to the end, I was rewarded with a beautifully crafted, intellectual and absorbing classic who dunnit book, with some extra sub plots to boot.

I will read the next novel, ONLY because of the characters, I want to see the relationship develop and how with what has happened with the first book how it changes them as people.

I hope the review is helpful to people who are contemplating reading this. This was a hard review to write considering how bored I was to begin with and how much I loved it at the end.

7/10

I absolutely loved this novel and, you'll be pleased to know, The Girl Who Played With Fire is even better. I cannot wait for The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest to come out later this year.

I totally agree with the heaviness you describe at the beginning of the novel, but it is so worth it. It's one of my favourite novels of the year, easily. Gosh, CW, get on the next one asap, Lady! :friends0:

I absolutely loved this novel and, you'll be pleased to know, The Girl Who Played With Fire is even better. I cannot wait for The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest to come out later this year.

I totally agree with the heaviness you describe at the beginning of the novel, but it is so worth it. It's one of my favourite novels of the year, easily. Gosh, CW, get on the next one asap, Lady! :friends0:

Already already ordered my friend!! I am actually looking forward to it. The next few books that I am reading seem to be faily quick reads so I should start reading it within the next few weeks.

CW

Book # 6: Twilight by Stephenie Mayer

Synopsis

When 17 year old Isabella Swan moves to Forks, Washington to live with her father she expects that her new life will be as dull as the town. But in spite of her awkward manner and low expectations, she finds that her new classmates are drawn to this pale, dark-haired new girl in town. But not, it seems, the Cullen family. These five adopted brothers and sisters obviously prefer their own company and will make no exception for Bella. Bella is convinced that Edward Cullen in particular hates her, but she feels a strange attraction to him, although his hostility makes her feel almost physically ill. He seems determined to push her away ? until, that is, he saves her life from an out of control car. Bella will soon discover that there is a very good reason for Edward's coldness. He, and his family, are vampires ? and he knows how dangerous it is for others to get too close.

I decided to read this book as I had heard so many things about it and i wanted to be able to form a view on it without having any misconceptions. First off I am not normally a vampire novel fan, nor do I read 'lovey dovey' books, so for the start this book had to prove something to me.

I started reading it and I found the book to flow well, it was not what I expected. It was not mushy, it was not over the top, there was not the gossiping of "Oh my God I love him so much" on every second page. i found the way the author tried to show the 'True love' between the two characters was admirable, showing to a Young Teen audience that sex is not the only thing in a relationship. Obviously being a young teen book is had moments that I cringed and I was bored, but I found myself intrigued by the looming storyline

about the transformation of vampires. Obviously something that will feature more and more in the later books. I found the book from the chapter: Hunted? hunting? To be where I most enjoyed the book, something that was a nice surprise. The cat and Mouse game of trying to hide Bella was awesome

, with twists and turns that I would expect to find in my normal reading genre!

With utter surprise and I not ashamed to admit this I could not put the book down and I had to read it to the end to find out

Bella's fate. I am now going to read the next novels not for the love story as such but I have a case of 'Curisoity killed the cat' and I want to find out if/ when and how Bella 'Turns Vampire'.

I would not say that I am going to be a 'TWILIGHTER' and be a super fan, but all I would say is there is more to the book than a young teen love story.

8/10

Glad you ended up liking Twilight catwoman, I can't quite put my finger on it but there is definately something about the book that keeps you hooked. Hope you like the next ones as much :(

I agree there is something, I think it is because you know at some point that

Bella is more than likely going to change, you don't know how, you don't know when

and because of this, it makes you want to read more, like i said in my review 'Curiosity killed the cat'.

My firend up the library asked how it went and my reply "can you reserve the follow ons for me please" :friends0: