Do you pick up unknown authors?

tdaonp

:) Well, Mac, are you going to tell us if you made any progress with this Waterstone's angel?!

While I keep my eye out for familiar authors, if I like the sound of a book by reading the dust jacket or first few pages, I'll read it if the author is unknown or not. Sometimes I like to snoop around and look at those sections that say 'if you liked author x, try this author.' I find a lot of books that way, and I think it's a good way to find new books within my favorite genres.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has their favourites,and I've got several in diff'rent genres,but to me it's quite a thrill to find a good book by an 'unknown author' and then look up their back catalogue. I've done that lots this year. I also just enjoy browsing around the library,but have picked 3 letters from the alphabet in the past,like b/l/w and found new writers that way! :)

I have a thrill for the unknown and can't imagine just reading what everyone else is reading or what's populist or fashionable. When I have joined the herd I've usually been sorely disappointed.... There's some absolute gems out there if you are brave enough to try them....:)

I soooo agree with you, I have been disappointed many times by over hyped up books for example things like The Lovely Bones,Time Traveler's Wife and Dan Brown to name but a few.I love to browse and have indeed found some little gems that way.Thankfully we all have very different taste when it comes to choosing books so each to their own and happy reading:D

• 2 months later...

Almost all the books I read lately are from, unknown authors - well, previously unknown to me. There are a few authors I pick up automatically because I know I'd love what they write. But I also love trying out new authors, because you never know what wonderful books you might discover. :smile2:

• 3 weeks later...

I browse in the library or bookshops for interesting blurbs and catching covers and then flick through certain sections before deciding whether the book interests me, so yes i pick up any writer and give them a chance.

I read anything I can get my hands on, I just pick up a few books from the library and away I go!

I am the same. Sometimes I have success, other times I don't. I love reading books by new authors, especially if they are recommended on here

I have a habit of picking up books which are based on old television shows and films, and quite often the name of the author is completely unknown to me. If the writing is interesting enough, or has elements that transcend the usual tie-in material, I will seek out their other work. There are a few (annoyingly) uncredited books from the mid-1940s which deliver the stories of contemporary releases, and which are some of the most evocativly cinematic books I own. Picking up new authors also increases the odds that they will be given a second shot at publication, so it is a win-win situation if they are really good.