Names you can't pronounce.

I often have a problem knowing how to pronounce the names of some of the characters. Recently , when reading Labyrinth, Kate Mosse, one of the main characters was called Alais. Having a french name ending in ais myself, I pronounced it Alay but then heard others pronounce it differently. Its ok when you read by yourself, but when discussing in public, its difficult, because you don't want to get someones name wrong. Anybody else have similar problems?

Susanna :wave:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, yeah...

In the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, the author throws out all these hard to prounounce African names and prefaces them with the titles Mma and Rra. How the heck do you pronounce something like that? I ended up saying it "Ma" and "Ra"...which is probably totally wrong. :?

Recently , when reading Labyrinth, Kate Mosse, one of the main characters was called Alais. Having a french name ending in ais myself, I pronounced it Alay but then heard others pronounce it differently.

I pronounce it as Alay.. how else was it pronounced?

I have extreme problems with this sort of thing. If the word is difficult to pronounce then I don't try to do so - I memerise how the word looks on the page instead (not the letters, just the way the word looks). That makes it really hard when I am discussing the book with someone because I'm just like "uh.. that guy... the one starting with the m..." :D

Some fantasy books are filled with unpronouncable names, but, like MC, I end up recognising the word without pronouncing it in my head. It can be pretty annoying at times.

In the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, the author throws out all these hard to prounounce African names and prefaces them with the titles Mma and Rra. How the heck do you pronounce something like that? I ended up saying it "Ma" and "Ra"...which is probably totally wrong. :?

That was one fo the things that totally annoyed me about the series. I wanted to say Mma as Madama - as the french abbrieviate Madame to Mme!

That was one fo the things that totally annoyed me about the series. I wanted to say Mma as Madama - as the french abbrieviate Madame to Mme!

You are right! :D

Mma is the term used to address a woman, and may be placed before her name. It is pronounced "ma" (with a long a)

Rra is the rough equivalent of "mister". It is pronounced "rar", but with a slight rolling of the second r.

Found here: http://www.bookbrowse.com/excerpts/index.cfm?book_number=1173

When I first left Uni I worked for a bank (I didn't last long!).

We used to have mystery shoppers who would visit at random, so you had a set of rules you had to follow. One rule was that you had to call people by name: "Thanks Mrs Smith" etc. All was well untill Mr Ng came in. How are you meant to say that? :shock:

Years ago, when I did telephone sales, everyone would purposely save all the odd names for me as I seemed to have a knack for pronouncing them in a way that was at least approaching the right way - it was always pages of Oriental, Arabic & Nordic names & could be a lot of fun - it was a nice opener, the whole "ooh, what an unusual name - isn't that lovely?" thing - LOL!

• 11 months later...
I have extreme problems with this sort of thing. If the word is difficult to pronounce then I don't try to do so - I memerise how the word looks on the page instead (not the letters, just the way the word looks).

That's exactly what I do!! Or else I just kind of make it up and say something that sounds right.:)

In The Gift, the main character's called Maerad which took me a while to get the hang of until I found the notes on pronunciation at the front, and found out it was said "My-rad".

Also, there's another character called Maninie:lol: - I think that's how you spell it but it has those two dots over the top of the "e" - and that's said "Man-in-eye-ee" which always makes me :sign0072: because I fit it into a tune for something else...I can't remember what the words were to start with...

PS yay, I've gone up; I'm a Bibliophile, now!:e010:

EDIT: I looked it up and found it is spelt Maninae - with two dot over the "e"! It's crazy!

A friend recently told me that until she saw the first Harry Potter film, she'd been reading Hermione as Her-me-oh-ne!

I did that too:blush:

It's a very strange name. I only knew how it was pronounced beause there was an actress in Mary Poppins with the same name, and I had a conversation about it with my Mum when I was about 10!

There is a novel by Vladimir Nabokov called Pnin, about a man called...Pnin. Can't remember whether the P is silent or not.

Then there's the whole matter of how to pronounce Nabokov, which could be a thread in itself (but I'm not going to start it!).

David

I hate it when I don't know how to pronounce names and if there's more than one I find it really off putting and confusing. I suppose it's something to do with not being able to get a proper handle on the character if I don't really know what they're called.

By the way, and still on the subject of confusing, I've just noticed that if I read the thread without logging in the posts are in the opposite order.