Fans of Tolkien

Echo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I too am a Tolkienite! I never really got into the book until the movies came out and now I am truly addicated. I love the Hobbit because it gives me a sense of "cozyness". I can feel myself becoming a Hobbit. I have also read The Fellowship Of The Rings and The Two Towers. Loved them both even though they got a bit "windy". I've since put the book down as I need to "prepare" myself for the final book, it IS, after all, a very LONG journey!:lol:

I'll say this much. Since reading his works and seeing the movies, I cannot look at the mists and mountains, flora and fauna without a deep desire to listen to the soundtrack and whip out the books again!

Hey Katrina, welcome to the forum!

I've seen the films, and own the extended versions. For me they are completely incomparable to the books. I find I have to consider the different formats as two entirely different stories, because the films lack so much of the book content, and much of the book content that is included in the movies (don't even get me started on certain dialogues between Faramir and Denethor with regards to Boromir's loyalty to Denethor, and Faramir's position on this) was utterly warped by PJ :lol:

If you have any interest in the religion and history of Middle-earth you may find it well worth picking up The Silmarillion. If you're unaware of the general idea of this book, it's a bit of a biblistic set-up, and contains information about Melkor (aka Morgoth) and the succession of his position of dark power by Sauron. It also contains the Ainulindale and the Valaquenta (which combined make up the creation of Middle-earth and contains information on the Ainur who created it).

Within The Silmarillion, chapter 19, Of Beren and L

Thank you for the welcome Vanwa!

I read parts of the Silmarillion a few years ago. Very deep and yes, it has elements of (in my opinion) of satan's fall and the creation. I tried to listen to it on audio but got distracted. Of course, Tolkien would disagree that there was any allegory-ism in his books.

The sad part about his greatest work is that it never got the acclaim that his later works attained. When writing and finishing The Hobbit and LOTR, he actually tried to get it published along as a group, to no avail. If I were to list these works in order, its obvious to me that it would be The Sim, The Hobbit and then the LOTRs. I do believe that Tolkien missed many opportunities for this particular work to be published but for his ability to procrastinate, re-write, re-edit, procrastinate, re-write, re-edit.... It took 16 years to complete LOTR!

I remember reading that Tolkien inscribed Beren and Luthien on his and Ediths headstones. What a beautiful sentiment.

I made the fatal mistake of first attempting The Silmarillion when I was very young, far too young to understand let alone enjoy, and with that first attempt, I think I dropped it about 5 or so pages in.

However, someone very special to me, who is no longer a part of my life, took the trouble to convince me to try again. And the gratitude I have for his effort is immense.

I fell in love with it completely, and now have three copies: the paperback edition which I read and use for reference, another edition which is red and guilded on the front hard board, and the 1st edition, which although in monetry terms is virtually worthless, to me it is priceless! Its in perfect condition, inclusive of an unclipped dustjacket. It's my own, my precious :lol:.

(Having admitted owning 3 editions of the Silm, dare I now admit that I have about 18 different editions of LOTR in the attic, and 3 editions of LOTR which I keep on my bookcase?!)

I have the same thing, Vanwa! I have a hardcover Silmarillion that seems to be the first US edition, plus a paperback, which is the one I actually read. I also have two versions of The Lord of the Rings (one is a 3 volume paperback, and I have a one volume hardcover).

I don't know...I haven't looked at it in a while. It doesn't have a dust jacket, but the date seems right. It also has a huge fold-out map, of Beleriand, I think. I'll need to take another look at it when I get home.