Fans of Tolkien

Echo

I read The Hobbit when I was eight and then LOTR when I was nine. I was a precocious child...

I love it. I seem to pick up LOTR every 7 years or so and re-read it. You know the thing? I just get The Urge to disappear into Middle Earth every now and again.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am almost at the end of The Hobbit but can't wait to open LOTR. Although I have already read the first book of the trilogy, I plan to re-read it just so I am sure of little bits I will probably miss if I just read a synopsis to remind myself.

You know you are getting a bit too obsessed with LOTR when you are chatting to friends on the net and say "BRB, just popping to Middle Earth" :)

The Unfinished Tales, is probably what you are thinking of, and there is also the Tales From a Perilous Realm.

THAT'S THE ONE! Thanks for refreshing my mind. I haven't actually checked these out yet, but I plan to buy them when I have the money.

I saw a Tolkien book in some shop the other week! I think it was a new book cause I have never seen it before, and it was displayed at the front of the shop which means it MIGHT'VE been a new book. Not sure though.

I love it. I seem to pick up LOTR every 7 years or so and re-read it. You know the thing? I just get The Urge to disappear into Middle Earth every now and again.
Haha, I remember I promised myself to read The Silmarillion, The Hobbit and LOTR one after the other at the start of each year. I only ever did it one..and a half times. I never got around to finishing The Silmarillion the second year, and I was too busy for LOTR. I'll try again this year maybe, it HAS been a while..

I read LOTR just before the films came out, because, like Chesilbeach, I like to have read the books before seeing the films (chiefly so I can get cross about what's been left out). I remember really struggling to get into the first book. I think it was Tom Bombadil that just about made me give up. I kept saying I would stop, but for some reason (stubborness?) I carried on and suddenly I realised I was totally engrossed!

After that, there was no stopping me and I read all three in quick succession and loved them. At the end, I was so immersed in the whole Middle Earth world that I even read the histories etc in the back of the book. I was desperate to read more Tolkien and thought I would read The Silmarillion, but I don't know what happened because I never did, and now I don't really want to. It's like I was besotted and then fell out of love with it all.

Regarding The Hobbit, I think I read it as a child. After reading LOTR, I bought The Hobbit but it has remained on my TBR pile for a good few years now, and I don't feel any inclination at the moment to read it.

I remember really struggling to get into the first book. I think it was Tom Bombadil that just about made me give up. I kept saying I would stop, but for some reason (stubborness?) I carried on and suddenly I realised I was totally engrossed!

I find it strange that you found this to be the case as when I read the first of the trilogy and came across Tom Bombadil, I felt that I wanted to know more about him and for him to have maybe a larger part in the book!

Curious indeed.

What are other peoples favourite minor characters in Tolkiens work?

Whenever I re-read LOTR, I'm actually impatient for the Tom Bombadil scenes! It's a nice break from reading about hobbits wandering through the woods. :motz:

I hope I'm remembering the right character then, as there seems to be a lot of love for good old Tom! Was he the one that was always singing and prancing about? At one point, I remember actually shouting out loud, "For God's sake, will you stop singing!" :motz:

I hope I'm remembering the right character then, as there seems to be a lot of love for good old Tom!

No, he's rubbish, just fluff before the real story starts/continues!

A completely unnecessary character, why do you thin he wasn

What are other peoples favourite minor characters in Tolkiens work?

I loved the lady that Tom Bombadil was with. What was her name? I completely forgot. Something like Lily... something... I have no idea. I loved the song that Tom always sung, and it was about her. Forgot the lyrics to that one as well.

I really SHOULD re-read!

OH yes Goldberry. That's the one. And I also liked the horses, if that counts. Brego and Shadowfax are awesome. And that other white one that Legolas took from the Riders. Forgot the name.

And I REALLY loved the girls! Eowyn, Arwen, Galadriel. They're all so strong and magical. I love them.

• 3 weeks later...

Strictly speaking The Silmarillion was published by Christopher Tolkien after his father's death but as most of the writing was done by JRR it should be credited to him I guess.

Anyway, LOTR is my favorite. Read it about five times and feel I will read it again. It's a long slog every time (like War and Peace) but well worth it.

Question (and I am curious how it will affect me): do you think the Peter Jackson film influences your enjoyment of the book? I haven't read the book since the film came out and am curious how it will pan out.

Henk (tdaonp)

• 2 weeks later...

The Silmarillion is definitely my number one, closely followed by LOTR of course!

In my honest (and entirely humble I assure you) opinion, Tom Bombadil was no less necessary to the storyline than many other characters outside of the fellowship. He introduces us fairly early on in LOTR to the coming alive of trees and to the idea of ents, so that when we reach Fangorn, Huorns and Ents are not dismissable as absurd and placeless in the story. He also brings (albeit strange) some humanity to the idea of these beings before they fully develop before us.

As for those that have mentioned they struggled with certain aspects of the the text in LOTR, my advice would be to do as I did. I read it many years ago, and came away with some understanding (although lacking). I then picked it up again recently, having read The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales. I found that when I returned to LOTR, the insanely long descriptives and lack of dialogue in some places were as much enthralling as the rest of the book, as I had a much deeper understanding of the background and indeed the history of Middle-earth (which I plan to tackle next)!

I read The Hobbit at the age of 10 and LOTR at 11, (nowhere near as precocious as Mac), that was a long time ago and I've never re-visited them, but would list them as among my all-time favourite books. I wonder if I'd enjoy them as much decades later?

...and I can't even remember Tom Bombadil :D

Bel-ami- you may find if you revisit them you enjoy them more. There are a lot of concepts within them that you would have missed as a child. I found this to be so. I read them at a young age, and enjoyed them. And then reread them/am rereading them this year with immense enjoyment. It was like a completely different story for me this time around. Currently I am turning each page of Two Towers with love and adoration. Go for it!

Besides that, sarcasm is a form of wit little understood by pre-teens, and Gandalf is the most sarcastic wizard ever that there was! Even in the darker moments of LOTR, there can be found little treasures of sarcasm :lol:

Bel-ami- you may find if you revisit them you enjoy them more. There are a lot of concepts within them that you would have missed as a child. I found this to be so. I read them at a young age, and enjoyed them. And then reread them/am rereading them this year with immense enjoyment. It was like a completely different story for me this time around. Currently I am turning each page of Two Towers with love and adoration. Go for it!

Besides that, sarcasm is a form of wit little understood by pre-teens, and Gandalf is the most sarcastic wizard ever that there was! Even in the darker moments of LOTR, there can be found little treasures of sarcasm :lol:

Thanks Vanwa, I hadn't thought of those perspectives and you're right I hadn't picked up on any sarcasm as I recall. I shall line it up for a re-read :D