Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - FILM

Kell

I saw HP6 last night and was mightily disappointed. It felt so disjointed and to someone who hadn't read the books (Mr Inc, who is sharp as a pin when it comes to films) it was very confusing and jumpy. THe revelation of who the HBP was a throw-away line - what a wasted moment! And they completely missed the Snape/Lilly/James connection and why Snape dislikes Harry so much. It took forever to get going and even then it didn't really pick up - it felt like nothing happened for 2 1/2 hours!

Am now more depressed than ever that they've split the last book into two films as it's a case of starting and ending with lots of action, but a sea of nothing but camping in between - they could be incredibly dull at this rate!

I saw HP6 last night and was mightily disappointed. It felt so disjointed and to someone who hadn't read the books (Mr Inc, who is sharp as a pin when it comes to films) it was very confusing and jumpy. THe revelation of who the HBP was a throw-away line - what a wasted moment! And they completely missed the Snape/Lilly/James connection and why Snape dislikes Harry so much. It took forever to get going and even then it didn't really pick up - it felt like nothing happened for 2 1/2 hours!

Am now more depressed than ever that they've split the last book into two films as it's a case of starting and ending with lots of action, but a sea of nothing but camping in between - they could be incredibly dull at this rate!

I saw it the other day and I definately get what you mean by this. I haven't read any of the books and I only see the movies because Em is obsessed with Harry Potter, but when I watched that I just kind of thought, "I think that was meant to be significant and it just wasn't".

Overall I actually thought it was one of the better ones to be honest. I'd probably rate it second behind the 4th.

And they completely missed the Snape/Lilly/James connection and why Snape dislikes Harry so much.

Wasn't this revealed in the last book?

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it Kell. ;) I really liked it.

It's a tricky one for me. I really enjoyed the film, and see it as a beast separate from the book.

It's that feeling that what is significant in the books would not translate well onto the film, and the HBP's identity has little relevance to the film, except in bringing Snape's skills and his signature curse of 'septum sempra' to the attention of the audience.

I would say that you do have to have read the book to properly get what's happening in the film. I don't think it can stand alone in that regard, and maybe there were better ways around that.

I thought a little more of Dumbledore explaining things to Harry (for our benefit) would have been helpful, but I suppose it depends on whether the film makers were thinking along the lines that they had two further films in which to explain the importance of various bits.

I did enjoy it, but perhaps when it stands alongside the last two, we shall be better placed to judge whether it was good enough.

I think that I have covered this somewhere in another thread, but I really didn't think that it was that bad! Yes, they missed loads of stuff, they are always going to in a film of this length. I didn't like how they forced relationships in the audiences faces, nothing was subtle! However, there were some funny moments, I liked the wand bit and I liked Slughorn.

I try to hold the film and books seperately in my head as the film will never live up to my high expectations!

Wasn't this revealed in the last book?

Ooh, it might be, but I was pretty certain it was part of the "I'm the Half-Blood Prince" revelation as Im' sure I recall him going into detail about him being friendly with Lily and her going off with James, leaving him to be tormented by Mooney, Padfoot and co. Slughorn also made mention of Harry looking like his father but having his mother's eyes, which is another thing I'm sure I remember Snape saying at that point...

Ooh, it might be, but I was pretty certain it was part of the "I'm the Half-Blood Prince" revelation as Im' sure I recall him going into detail about him being friendly with Lily and her going off with James, leaving him to be tormented by Mooney, Padfoot and co. Slughorn also made mention of Harry looking like his father but having his mother's eyes, which is another thing I'm sure I remember Snape saying at that point...

I think that this all may happen in the last book? I may be mistaken though. I need to re-read the whole series!

I've just been to see the film this morning. After being really disappointed by the last film, my expectations were low, particularly as it was the same director. But, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought for the most part, it kept the plot and the action moving well, it looked great, and hit the right balance of sticking to the HP story while making it an entertaining film.

Still nowhere near up to the standards of PoA, but on the whole, a much better effort.

The one thing that I think has been wrong from the beginning, though, is Dumbledore. Harris played him as an avuncular, doddery lightweight, while Gambon has played him as a distant, fleeting, transient drifter. For me, Dumbledore should be a strong, assertive presence, and I just don't think that has been achieved on film. Harry's reaction to

the death of Dumbledore

is over the top considering the relationship that has developed on screen, because Dumbledore has never had the strength of character displayed in the books. /rant over

I saw HP6 last night and was mightily disappointed. It felt so disjointed and to someone who hadn't read the books (Mr Inc, who is sharp as a pin when it comes to films) it was very confusing and jumpy. THe revelation of who the HBP was a throw-away line - what a wasted moment! It took forever to get going and even then it didn't really pick up - it felt like nothing happened for 2 1/2 hours!

Oh dear ;) I'm going to see HP6 on Friday - not sure if I'm looking forward to it now!

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but my only complaint about the film is that it seemed much too short to me. I would have liked it to be just a bit longer, as I really enjoyed it. I've never read the books, and after having all the "blanks" filled in for me by someone who has, I don't feel they left out anything that seems particularly important or interesting (to me, anyway).

I had no idea who the Half-blood Prince really was, so I was quite surprised at that. I thought Malfoy was simply excellent in this film - previously he seemed like a bit of a background bully to me, so I enjoyed seeing a bit of personality and struggle from him. Voldemort was just fabulous. I loved the extra info on him and his life at Hogwarts. He's probably the best bad guy ever written. And Bellatrix is wow - no one could play her better than Helena-Bonham Carter. Dumbledore also came to the forefront a bit more in this film, and that was interesting to watch. Thinking about it now, though, I don't think Harry and his circle of friends did anything very remarkable in this film... The other characters (and actors) overshadowed them. I thought the film was brilliant, though. Looking forward to the last two. ;)

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but my only complaint about the film is that it seemed much too short to me. I would have liked it to be just a bit longer, as I really enjoyed it.

Too short? Goodness, I was glad it wasn't any longer and, in fact, wished it was shorter, as it seemed to be 2 1/2 hours of nothing much happening! They could have used the time far more wisely - by tightening things up they could have got away with cutting less of the book and made it far more eciting. Personally, I thought they wasted huge swathes of time and then threw away moments that could have had major impact, such as

Dumbly's death and Snape's revelation

Wow, it's amazing to see how differently everyone sees this film! And not just when looking at it overall, but even regarding minor points. I guess for those of you who haven't seen it yet, don't be put off because you may love what some of us have disliked!

I think I mentioned on another thread that I quite liked Horace Slughorn's character in the movie. But I wish the scene between Snape and Harry at the end had been a little longer. I always enjoy watching them interact, and this was a scene that I loved in the book.

I think I'm in the minority. I've read the books and loved the film too. I've seen it twice already. I guess it helps a lot that I can't remember the book very well at all! ;)

Still, I thought the acting was overall much better in this one and I loved the balance between light humour and the darker sides. The actor who plays Draco was fantastic, it was great to see him in a larger role and I thought he played the part perfectly. Bellatrix & Snape were awesome as usual. I thought Harry, Ron & Hermione, well, the actors, were pretty good too.

I definitely don't think the film was flawless by a long shot. Like everyone's said, it left a lot out and I think they could've focused more on certain aspects. But overall, I really liked it.

I thought there could have been a lot more focus on Draco - he's an interesting character facing a horrible dilemma in this episode and I thought they would have gone into more depth with his strugles than they did.

I'm going again tomorrow - I'm taking my Mum and sister!

I hadn't been to the cinema in years, and now I'm seeing the same film twice in 10 days! I am looking forward to experiencing the film again, and seeing if my opinion of it shifts at all.

I'm going again tomorrow - I'm taking my Mum and sister!

I hadn't been to the cinema in years, and now I'm seeing the same film twice in 10 days! I am looking forward to experiencing the film again, and seeing if my opinion of it shifts at all.

I was thinking of doing exactly the same! I've got the whole day to myself, and thought I might go and see the film again - the local multiplex is going an over 18's showing of the film, so I might go to that and hopefully avoid all the kids who are only going for a night out. Most of the kids in the viewing I went to yesterday were well behaved, but there was one group of about twelve who'd obviously seen the film already and sat spread over three rows and kept swapping seats, chatting and then disappearing out to the toilets or the concession stand, then coming back in and starting the process all over again!

I was thinking of doing exactly the same! I've got the whole day to myself, and thought I might go and see the film again - the local multiplex is going an over 18's showing of the film, so I might go to that and hopefully avoid all the kids who are only going for a night out. Most of the kids in the viewing I went to yesterday were well behaved, but there was one group of about twelve who'd obviously seen the film already and sat spread over three rows and kept swapping seats, chatting and then disappearing out to the toilets or the concession stand, then coming back in and starting the process all over again!

I went to the over 18's showing. I do this with a lot of films or I go to the last showing of the day (about midnight). When I saw HP, lots of the people there were probably more exctiable than the kids in the next screen! ;)

I was a bit disappointed as some great parts which were in the book were left out of the film or had been changed (which was annoying). I went to see the film at the Imax cinema - which was the only cinema in Scotland showing the film in 3D - this was very very disappointing as the only part of the film which showed 3D was the first 10 MINUTES :lol:- they could have at least had the action parts in 3D. I don't think they gave the ending justice as there could have been alot more action. There was a guy maybe mid 50s and two women sitting next to us who were so annoying - they laughed constantly - but it wasn't just a giggle, they laughed like they were watching their favorite comedian :).

I did enjoy the film some parts were fantastic and really funny, I just think it could have been much better.;)

Edited by SweetiiPie85

I think I'm in the minority. I've read the books and loved the film too. I've seen it twice already. I guess it helps a lot that I can't remember the book very well at all! :)

Still, I thought the acting was overall much better in this one and I loved the balance between light humour and the darker sides. The actor who plays Draco was fantastic, it was great to see him in a larger role and I thought he played the part perfectly. Bellatrix & Snape were awesome as usual. I thought Harry, Ron & Hermione, well, the actors, were pretty good too.

I definitely don't think the film was flawless by a long shot. Like everyone's said, it left a lot out and I think they could've focused more on certain aspects. But overall, I really liked it.

I totally agree bookbee. I love the book and the movie and have seen it twice (;)) too. I try not to compare the two as they're never going to fit everything into the movie as the book is just too big, but I would have liked to have seen the Riddle story as I found it really interesting in the books.

I know a few people were unhappy with how

Dumbledores funeral (or lack of)

was handled but I though the

lighted wands

scene was much more touching.

I know a few people were unhappy with how

Dumbledores funeral (or lack of)

was handled but I though the

lighted wands

scene was much more touching.

I really appreciated this change, rather than it being

a big funeral scene

. I found it was apt and poignant the way it was done, and was a heartfelt

response to his death from his staff and students

, rather than the event it became in the book.

I have mixed thoughts about the film.

It was enjoyable in some ways. It was quite funny at times, I didn't mind some of the new scenes

such as at the Burrow, and the ending didn't bother me too much, it still had me and the rest of the cinema in tears but would have liked a bit of action,

but and I am going to see it again in a few weeks with my family ;)

There was some stuff I wasn't too happy with though.

The beginning with Harry and the girl in the cafe, felt like they got his character wrong there. Aragog's death. Too much hormonal teens! Is it me or did they do some magic at times by just muttering and not using wands? Sometimes I swear they did so I hope somebody clears this up for me :)

Best thing is they showed the trailer for New Moon, so if you saw it and there was some fangirls screaming "We love you Edward" "Eee, Jake! You're a cute

wolf!"

then I am sorry :lurker:

Is it me or did they do some magic at times by just muttering and not using wands? Sometimes I swear they did so I hope somebody clears this up for me :lurker:

Although it's not in the film, in the book

the kids have been studying casting spells without saying them aloud, and when Snape and Harry are fighting each other at the end, Snape taunts Harry that he can hear his spells and he needs to practise his silent spells instead.

I'm guessing that's what the film was hinting at, without explaining it to the viewers!

Yeah, I remember this as a group of memories that Snape gave Harry in the last book.

I actually LIKED the film though. Sure, they missed out on a LOT of important bits that would've been important for the next movies, but it was good. for ONCE, I think its better as an adaptation than just a movie.

I was annoyed by the little things they got wrong though. It's always the little things. Like, Dumbly's wand being in his office, wtf? And it being all knobby and stuff. Whatever happened to just a stick with a handle? And the Avada Kedavra that Snape did was blue, and that's stupid because all Harry remembers of the day his parents died was a flash of GREEN light. Don't get me started with Harry's eyes. I mean, you'd think they'd change it after the seventh book came out, I mean seriously.

AND. In the Astronomy Tower, how Dumbly told Harry to go down..What happened to the Invisibility Cloak and Dumbly doing the Petrificus Totalus on him. That would've been a LOT powerful that just Snape putting his finger to his lips. And how Harry got rescued from the train was annoying. It's not WHO it was, its just that Luna did some charm to take it off, and don't they understand?! It's one of the HALLOWS for god's sake, you CAN'T take it off with a charm.

Ugh. These LITTLE things make me think that they haven't read the books at all.

Although it's not in the film, in the book

the kids have been studying casting spells without saying them aloud, and when Snape and Harry are fighting each other at the end, Snape taunts Harry that he can hear his spells and he needs to practise his silent spells instead.

I'm guessing that's what the film was hinting at, without explaining it to the viewers!

Huh. that's weird. because in that part where Draco and Harry were in the bathroom, they didn't utter a spell at all, apart from Sectumsepra. weiiird.