Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel

Kimmy619

I'm not up to these episodes on my re-watch, but from what I remember, I thought exactly the same thing at the time. She certainly had no right to turn up and act like she did. But then again, Faith had done a lot of bad stuff to her (including trying to kill her) so I can understand where she's coming from in a way.

I like Buffy, so I'm gonna defend her! ;)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have just watched those episodes and (as much as I like Buffy) I hated her in them. I know Faith had been awful, especially to Buffy, but I hated how she came in all high and mighty because Angel wanted to help Faith. I also hated her when she complained that he'd hit her when she hit him first. I like Buffy, but she really annoyed me here.

Can someone please explain to me how she is not a stupid, pathethic, whiney little witch with a B?
I've never seen Angel but this has pretty much always been my opinion of her in her namesake series. I still love the show because there are so many other people to love: Spike, Oz, Giles, Willow, Anya, Dru (does that make me weird? I just thought she suited Spikey so much more than whiney little witch with a :D - it's like liking HP though you can't stand Harry, because there's Ron and Hermione and Snape and Dumby et al. to care for.

... it's like when they resurrect her and she is cold and mean to everyone just because she'd gone to Heaven and they forced her to leave - apart from the fact that they couldn't know, surely if she went to Heaven once she'll go again, and what's a few more years on earth doing your duty in company of your friends when compared to the rest of eternity? It's so true what Spike sings in the musical episode:

"And why you come to be with me, I think I finally know:

You're scared, afraid of what you feel

You can't tell the ones you love, you know they couldn't deal

Whisper it in a dead man's ear, that doesn't make it real"

It's all true, she uses him so much; she knows full well that the poor vamp's her "willing slave" and treats him like dirt except when she's got no one else to turn to. Bad, selfish Buffy, poor abused Spikey :):D:17:!!!

I'm glad I'm not alone and insane for liking Dru, I always found her a fascinating character in much the same way I find Lestat a fascinating character (while mopey Buffy could be likened to a fangless Louis), plus whacko as she was you could tell she truly loved Spike.

The episode where Spike chains Dru up in a demented attempt to prove his devotion to Buffy made me so sad, how could he betray someone who loved him for the sake of someone who didn't love or deserve him :)??

I've never seen Angel but this has pretty much always been my opinion of her in her namesake series.

... it's like when they resurrect her and she is cold and mean to everyone just because she'd gone to Heaven and they forced her to leave - apart from the fact that they couldn't know, surely if she went to Heaven once she'll go again, and what's a few more years on earth doing your duty in company of your friends when compared to the rest of eternity?

I must spring once again to a (partial) defence of Buffy! Regarding the first part, yes of course her friends didn't know what had happened to her and were trying to help her, so couldn't really be blamed, but still...

I'd defy anyone not to be royally peed off at being dragged out of heaven! Plus the other slight issue of being heavily traumatised by waking up buried alive in a coffin and having to claw your way out!! That's enough to make anyone cranky! She gets over it all and forgives them remarkably quickly in my opinion.

Buffy is not a saint, she is a person who happens to have some extraordinary powers. I think everyone expects her to be perfect just because she is the "good" slayer who takes her duties very seriously, unlike Faith who uses her abilities to have fun. She is going to make bad decisions or whine just like anyone else does. Which brings me to:

I do agree with you about how Buffy treats Spike. She does use and abuse him and treat him like dirt, even though she knows how he feels about her. I could say it's because she is very aware of all the evil things he has done, so she sees him as just an animal, but that's a bit hypocritical considering Angel was just the same in his time but she didn't let that bother her!

As I said, she's not perfect!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now making an effort to watch all my Angel boxset! I'm still on Season 1, and the last one I saw was the one where Cordelia wakes up pregnant by a demon!

I'm looking forward to the ones Faith is in (coming up soon) as they're the only ones I can remember anything about.

Must say I got a bit upset

when Doyle died, and when Angel had to go to the PTB to be made mortal again, denying himself his life with Buffy. Aww. :irked:

And I really, really can't stand Wesley! :D To think that

Doyle went

and we got Wes as a replacement. Some bargain, I don't think. :D

Wesley grows on you. I really like him, he's a total doofus, but sometimes he gets it right

and on those rare occasions he's a pretty cool dude.

The Faith episodes are great, I now love Faith again and dislike Buffy. Again with the growing, and they're the best characters I think, the ones that need to make an effort to get into your heart. It shows real depth and development.

The Faith episodes are great, I now love Faith again and dislike Buffy. Again with the growing, and they're the best characters I think, the ones that need to make an effort to get into your heart. It shows real depth and development.

I agree. I love those episodes too :irked: Although I think Buffy comes across really badly in them.

I love Wesley. I didn't like him in Buffy but really like him in Angel. The rogue demon hunter thing is great :D I do prefer him in the first few seasons though when he's still abit dorky rather than the weird turn he takes at the end :D

I watched the two Faith episodes last night (Five by Five and Sanctuary)! Absolutely brilliant! I loved them. :D But then I already knew I loved them, as they're the only two episodes I can remember out of the entire five seasons of Angel. I think Eliza Dushku does a great job, conveying disturbed killer and vulnerable young woman equally well.

I have just watched those episodes and (as much as I like Buffy) I hated her in them. I also hated her when she complained that he'd hit her when she hit him first.

As this thread's resident Buffy champion, I'll give you that one! :) You can hardly hit someone and then complain when they hit you back.

I'll tell you who I hated as well, cop Kate when she threatened to put Angel in an east-facing cell. :) The :). After all Angel's done for her.

I've only got three episodes of Season 1 left to watch. :D

I watched another random episode of Angel last night but still wasn't overly impressed with it. I think I'll just give up and stick with Buffy :)

Yeah see this is the thing, Angel is about the characters and their journeys. Unless you go through the seasons with the characters, it can't be fully appreciated unfortunately.

I love the one where Cordelia takes Angel's car to go save Gunn, and Angel and Wesley need to go somewhere so they take Wesley's motorbike, but his passenger helmet is pink. Wesley's like, 'what's wrong??' and Angel says, 'Nothing, it's, it's just I don't really need a helmet anyway and WHY DO I HAVE TO WEAR THE LADIES HELMET??' and Wesley goes, 'oh stop being such a w**k*r and put it on!' so he puts it on and you can see his eyes going :) and Wesley smirks and says, 'looks good. Hop on board, gorgeous.' It's hilarious, you then see Angels eyes again and it's obvious he's laughing to himself, I always like to think that's actually David getting a laugh out of doing the scene :)

I love that scene Roxi. It's so funny when Wesley says "hop on board gorgeous" :) I understand what you mean about Angel, I think you need to watch it from the start to understand why certain characters/ relationships develop the way they do. I have just watched That Vision Things, which I really like, everyone rallies around Cordelia :)

I love Cordelia, she changes so much. And I think Angel gets way more complex in his own show. In Buffy it's like, 'Angel - swoon, Angelus - grrr' but in Angel they really get right down into it, is he a man, is he a demon, and where exactly is the line between the two, and the best bit is all anybody finds is grey area.

I watched the final three episodes of Season 1 of Angel last night, and they were pretty good. :D Poor old Cordelia, in agony and going mad with her visions. And Wesley nearly got blown up. Yes!! Er, I mean Oh dear. Ahem.

Nice to see Gunn being introduced.

And the prophecy bit, saying that Angel would become human was interesting, as I don't remember that happening. Don't tell me if it does, I'll find out for myself!

• 2 weeks later...

I have just started to watch season 4 of Buffy. I had forgotten how funny Anya is. Plus, I am finding myself actually liking Riley (although I don't remember liking him when I first watched it). They haven't actually got together yet, so maybe my opinion will change about him. I have just watched the episode where Giles goes blind, Xander is a demon magnet and Buffy and Spike decide to get married - funny stuff!

That is one of my favourite episodes of Buffy, I think it's called Something Blue :D On a whole, I'm not a fan of the fourth season though. I do like the episodes where Faith comes back :lol:

I must admit, I can't remember a lot about season 4, but I am trying to watch them all in order so I need to watch season 4. I forgot how sad it was when Oz left :D