Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel

Kimmy619

I have come to this thread to talk about Buffy as I was going a wee bit off topic in the Twilight thread *ahem*

I really loved the Buffy series and when I was younger, it was one of the only series that I watched all the time without missing an episode. Aside from the supernatural theme, I enjoyed the romance with Angel, the love triangle with Xander, Willow & Buffy, how the main characters struggled to fit in at school and the comedy and witty banter. Aswell as the main characters, the cast was fab. I really liked Seth Green as Oz and Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia. There were a lot of really epic moments in the series like when Angel went evil (and the circumstances how it happened) and Willow going crazy. I am trying to decide if I prefer the earlier or later episodes, but I can't make up my mind!

This has reminded me how much I enjoyed Buffy, so I am going to hunt down some boxsets....:icon_eek:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really loved the Buffy series and when I was younger, it was one of the only series that I watched all the time without missing an episode. I am trying to decide if I prefer the earlier or later episodes, but I can't make up my mind!

This has reminded me how much I enjoyed Buffy, so I am going to hunt down some boxsets....:icon_eek:

Kimmy, I treated myself to the complete Buffy boxset and sat down and watched all seven series over the course of a few months. I always loved this programme, but I saw once again the sheer quality of the writing and have now decided that it's my favourite show of all time! I couldn't pick a favourite series, as they were all excellent. Buy the boxset, you won't regret it! ;)

I have the boxset of Buffy and Angel and really adore both. I haven't watched Buffy for a long time but flicked 'Beneath You' on FX a few days ago which really made me want to rewatch. ;) I love Angel in particular because it's a lot darker and more sinister (particularly the latter years). My favourite season in Buffy was season 6 but it changes quite regularly. I love all apart from 4 (which I'm really not a fan of). In Angel, I love the first series, especially Angel/Cordelia/Wesley. I even want to name a future child of mine Cordelia :icon_eek:

Aside from the supernatural theme, I enjoyed the romance with Angel, the love triangle with Xander, Willow & Buffy, how the main characters struggled to fit in at school and the comedy and witty banter. Aswell as the main characters, the cast was fab. I really liked Seth Green as Oz and Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia. There were a lot of really epic moments in the series like when Angel went evil (and the circumstances how it happened) and Willow going crazy. I am trying to decide if I prefer the earlier or later episodes, but I can't make up my mind!

Everything about the entire Buffyverse is superb. I used to know everything there was to know, every demon, cult, order, book etc referenced in the series, not to mention the recorded life story of every character. Particularly Angel, him being IRISH and all :D :D

Regarding episodes - the first season was superb in content, not so great in execution. Second and third seasons equally superb and superior to season one, but with some filler. Fourth season, blah, no one likes Riley, but the show started to grow up, which I liked. Season five, made of epic win. Season six and season seven never caught my attention - this time round will be my first time watching a lot of episodes.

Kimmy, I treated myself to the complete Buffy boxset and sat down and watched all seven series over the course of a few months. I always loved this programme, but I saw once again the sheer quality of the writing and have now decided that it's my favourite show of all time! I couldn't pick a favourite series, as they were all excellent. Buy the boxset, you won't regret it! ;)

It's not my favourite show, but in comes in a close second after Joan Of Arcadia, and the one thing it has over Joan is sheer volume of content and duration, which I like. I'm watching all seven series over the course of a few WEEKS though, easily by the end of August :D

I love Angel in particular because it's a lot darker and more sinister (particularly the latter years). My favourite season in Buffy was season 6 but it changes quite regularly. I love all apart from 4 (which I'm really not a fan of). In Angel, I love the first series, especially Angel/Cordelia/Wesley. I even want to name a future child of mine Cordelia :D

I loved that Angel was more mature than Buffy (the two shows). I did always wonder how that reflected on viewers - did it split them, or just offer two insights into the Buffy/Angelverse. I grew up with them, and I lost interest in Buffy as Angel went on, so I couldn't say. There was very little to hold my interest in Buffy - I hated Tara, Dawn, Anya, missed Giles, Joyce, etc. Angel on the other hand - Cordelia, Wesley, and Fred were a great support cast over time. And Lorne and Doyle, obviously. (R.I.P Andy Hallett.) I think I liked that Angel was darker - I've always been into the more grey area/dark side of such things than the heroic working-woman who's a Slayer by night. Buffy matured, but Angel was a really dark show, and it's themes were of a greater depth, which I preferred.

I'm jealous Roxi! I have all the Buffy eps but it has been a while since I've watched them. I really want to watch them again but I just don't have time. :D

I didn't like Riley either. And all those new girls in the last season put me off a little, but it's still such a wonderful show!

I never watched Angel when it was on. A few months back they put repeats on TV and I watched an ep but I wasn't that impressed. Maybe if I'd watched it longer...and Cordelia always annoyed me in Buffy.

Cordelia is arguably the most developed character in the two shows. She goes from high school spoilt brat through really growing up, dealing with the real world, and then going way beyond that. It's actually funny watching the early eps of Buffy now where she's coming on to Angel and everyone's just rolling their eyes, considering what ends up happening several years down the line. :D

Other characters have a lot of depth and backstory, but NOBODY, grows and develops like Cordelia does. She really turns into an awesome person.

Also I just watched 'Surprise' and 'Innocence' in Season 2, the eps where Angel goes all GRR, ARGH! Like the little cartoon guy at the end of the credits. Its funny, I used to obsess over this show when I was a young teen, 13-15. I had these episodes on tape, I'd read the scripts, I had the novelizations and I practically knew every line. At that age, watching it I really felt Angelus was the big bad when he downplayed what happened between him and Buffy to make him evil. It's slightly weird that at the age of 21, the same romantic notion of, as Angelus puts it, 'fireworks, a dolcet choir of pretty little birdies' still makes me hate him for it, even though Buffy is the biggest whinger in history and NEEDED to get over it.

I also still have this whole emotional turmoil thing going on over Angel versus Angelus, even though I know who each one is - admittedly the show doesn't exactly promote clarification. When Angel is good, he talks about the bad things he has done, as if he (Angel) has done them, but the whole point of vampires is that they're demons that walk and talk like people, but aren't them. He spent two centuries feeling guilty for things 'he' didn't actually do. Sure, his body physically did them, but it was being controlled by a demon. It boggles my poor brain.

I love that line in 'Amends' (Season three, the one where it snows) when Angel says, 'it's not the demon in me that needs killing, it's the man.' <3

This show has some serious one-liners.

Edited by Nollaig

I agree about Cordelia. She transforms so much through Buffy, from the cheerleader to a member of their gang. I loved how she changed and her relationship with Xander. Then in Angel she developed even more and she became my favourite character over the entire series. I particularly love "Spin the Bottle" when she goes back to being the original Cordy and it shows how much she changed (although I HATED the 'bad' Cordelia, hated the whole Cordelia/Connor/The Beast/Jasmine thing. It really spoilt that series for me).

I agree that a lot of Buffy characters annoy me, but I really loved Anya (might be in the minority there). I really adored her and Xander together and loved that she was a bit quirky. I did hate Riley though, a lot of moping involved during that storyline, I also didn't like Dawn, and a lot of the potential slayers that kept coming and going. I couldn't keep track during the last series. I do love Faith though, I think she was massively underused and loved it when she was both good and bad (particularly the Angel episode "Orpheus").

I love Graduation Day because of her. I think when she turns bad it showed what would happen if the slayer switched sides and I found that a lot more interesting than Buffy's character.

My overall favourite episode of Buffy would be Tabula Rasa. I can remember watching that and laughing over and over (although I haven't seen Buffy for a while so it may change). My favourite episode of Angel would be Orpheus.

Am I the only one who didn't fancy Angel that much? I'm definitely team Spike!

My most favorite episodes are the ones with Buffybot :D And the ones when Spike is pining over Buffy and she doesn't realise it yet. And the ones that are kinda off. I mean when they said everything in singing... and what was the other episode? The one when they lost their memories and hooked up with weird people? Or maybe there was an episode when everyone got really horny and with weird people. Hm...

'Once More, With Feeling' was the musical episode, and yes, it was genius. 'Tabula Rasa' was the amnesia episode which happened directly after it - Spike and Giles thought they were father and son as they were British, Xander and Willow thought they were together as they woke up on top of each other, Buffy named herself Joan and Anya found Giles' plane tickets to Britain, thought they were married and he was leaving her.

The horny thing was probably Spike looking inside his coat and finding it say, 'made with care for Randy - Randy Giles? Why not just call me Horny Giles? Or Desperate-For-A-Shag Giles? No wonder I hate you.'

Thanks Roxi for clearing that up for me, I definitely must see those episodes soon! Nope, the horny thing was an episode itself. I don't remember much of it but one thing I remember is Giles had hots for Buffy's Mum and they were about to do it out in the open, on top of his or her car :D Everyone was acting really horny.

Oh that was Band Candy in Season 3 - Ethan Rayne sent out crazy candy on halloween I think it was, and it turned all the adults into kids. Only, when Giles was a kid, he was a 'rebel' and Joyce liked dangerous men.

It's a great episode.

Joyce and Giles deny it ever happened, but later in an episode called Earshot, Buffy can hear everyones thoughts, and she hears Joyce thinking about it. At the end of the ep when it's sorted Giles asks her if she's up for some training after school, and she says, 'Sure. If you're not too busy having sex with my MOTHER.' And he walks into a tree. It's brilliant.

;) Cool! I didn't remember they were totally in denial about it and yet Buffy would later hear her Mum thinking about it. Brilliant :D

I guess Earshot would be a great episode to watch too. I really like the 'weird' episodes where there are these weird spins to the show, the 'normal' episodes with the regular vampire slaying and demon hunting are sometimes a bit boring... :D

Yeah I agree. I love the scene in Earshot "you slept with Giles" :D Band Candy is a really good episode. I think Joyce and Giles could've been something more.

Totally. I wish his badboy attitude from Band Candy would've stuck with him at least a little...

Dopplegangland (season 3) is another superb episode. The one where Cordelia wishes Buffy had never come to Sunnydale, and the Master rises and so on.

And I agree, Giles and Joyce are one of 'those' couples, like Jack and Sam in Stargate, Janeway and Chakotay in Voyager - you WANT it to happen, but it's never really going to. :D

As for Giles, bad boy or 'fuddy duddy' as Jenny calls him - he's still hot :D I said this to Chrysalis Stage already - intelligent, articulate, english accent, bookish, glasses, etc etc. If I could marry a man like that, I'd be doing well.

I love 'Amends', (B - season 3) the one where the First Evil tries to drive Angel mad, and he goes up onto the hilltop to await sunrise - but it snows, so he can't die. It's like, the first solid proof of what laters comes to be known as The Powers That Be - that there's something out there for them all to be living for, including Angel. I like that.

I've always thought about watching Buffy. I used to watch the odd episode that I'd enjoy.. so maybe I should start from the beginning and try watching some? :D

Seasons 1-3 are classic 90's sci-fi/fantasy/horror. I love them though, I think season one was as solid a foundation as any show of that genre could have hoped for back then. 2-3 are the best in my opinion, but you do need to watch the entire show through to really get it. A lot of it is about the characters growing and changing.

I didn't like season 6. I liked nerdy computer hacker Willow, not wacky witch Willow with the HORRENDOUSLY annoying girlfriend who doesn't know how to pronounce the name 'Tara'. 'Terra' is 'Terra'. Tara, on the other hand, is not Terra. GAWD.

I know what you mean about Tara's name. I thought it must be me saying it wrong :D Overall I like the 6th season. There are great episodes in all series though, except 4 which I really cannot stand. The only episodes I like from that entire series are the two where Faith comes back and that's only because I love Faith :D