Buffy The Vampire Slayer/Angel

Kimmy619

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be an accent thing, but It's like my friend Deanna who pronounced her name 'Dana' - they're two different names, like Tara and Terra.

Either way, it's irrelevant.

I just saw an episode of Buffy I have *never* seen before, in season 3!! That was so cool!

Yeah it might be irrelevant but I got curious, I thought it was interesting :D

I watched the first episode of season 6 in which

Buffy comes back from the dead, it's so sad because she had it good while she was dead and she's not happy to be back :D

Yeah it might be irrelevant but I got curious, I thought it was interesting :D

I watched the first episode of season 6 in which

Buffy comes back from the dead, it's so sad because she had it good while she was dead and she's not happy to be back :D

That is what makes Buffy great, all of these bitter sweet moments! I didn't like the Tara character, she was a bit sickly! I liked Faith a lot.

That is what makes Buffy great, all of these bitter sweet moments!

You're absolutely right there, I couldn't agree with you more! Still, it's just so painful to know that

Buffy's not happy but is pretending to be so Scooby gang wouldn't feel guilty and bad about bringing her back.

You're absolutely right there, I couldn't agree with you more! Still, it's just so painful to know that

Buffy's not happy but is pretending to be so Scooby gang wouldn't feel guilty and bad about bringing her back.

It is the same when

she sleeps with Angel the first time and he turns evil as he has his one true moment of happiness

It is the same when

she sleeps with Angel the first time and he turns evil as he has his one true moment of happiness

Yep, totally :D She's such a strong person, I don't know how she could get up everyday to face the world and her life.

It is the same when

I know! I was talking about that earlier. I mostly agree with him (Him: you make it sound like it's a big deal - her: It IS a big deal) Not imo, BUT, even *I* couldn't help getting a little teary over it. Seeing how cruel he was.... man.

Also, just watched another episode of Buffy I've virtually never seen, though I do recall it, in which

Buffy and Angel are possessed by ghosts and end up kissing, when the ghosts leave them he pushes her off him and runs, and it's heartbreaking seeing Buffy's face.

Watching the Season 2 finale episodes now - it's so unfair that Angel got lumped with all the guilt of what a demon did, it's like, how was giving Angel's soul back to it's body a punishment on the demon? The demon was what did the bad things, and it didn't have to suffer anything, Angel (the soul) was innocent, and yet it had to suffer? That's terrible. :D

Edited by Nollaig

Also, just watched another episode of Buffy I've virtually never seen, though I do recall it, in which

Buffy and Angel are possessed by ghosts and end up kissing, when the ghosts leave them he pushes her off him and runs, and it's heartbreaking seeing Buffy's face.

I remember this episode, it was based in the school wasn't it? Their relationship really added something to the earlier episodes. When she has to

stab him so he goes through the portal

- heartbreaking!

I really like that episode where they are possessed. It's in series two isn't it? I love all of the series because it's great showing how a loved one can change (even though it is a bit extreme). But I think both Angel and Angelus are great characters. I really don't like the master though. I think that's what spoiled the first series for me.

'Hi, you're not that scary. I mean, I wouldn't want to bump into you in a dark alley or anything, but you know. Need to work on the 'grr, argh!' factor a little.' :D

I saw the movie years ago, but I don't remember much about it other than that it was mediocre. Worth watching if you're a die hard fan, but it doesn't really substantiate anything. That's where the 'burning down the school gym' thing came from. They also re-do the scenes where Buffy finds out shes the Slayer and starts training in the series finale of Season 2.

Speaking of, I just watched that yesterday, and I have to say - I don't really see how Buffy suddenly changed from being the 'popular girl' to the Buffy we know and (debatably) love in the series. In episode one, sure Cordelia befriends her, but she latches on to Willow and the 'be nice to nerds' things way too quick. Not that I mind, at all. I guess maybe she calmed down once she got going with the slaying in L.A.

Edited by Nollaig

Sorry, i'm at work so answered whilst trying to do other things!

Cordelia befriends Buffy, but Buffy chooses Willow (for whatever reason!). Cordy isn't used to not getting what she wants to then hates Buffy so uses her popularity to make other people not like her - if that makes any sense?! :D

Tut, tut, you should be working :D

Ohh right I getcha. I think you misinterpreted me, actually :D I meant, that for someone who was so snooty and popular in L.A., Buffy learns to be one of the nerds very quickly. She befriends Willow and Xander pretty much BECAUSE they're nerds, which is cool, but not very popular-girl-esque.

It doesn't matter ANYWAY, it was just a thought I had while watching the first few episodes again.

Faith's just arrived ;)

Tut, tut, you should be working :D

Ohh right I getcha. I think you misinterpreted me, actually :D I meant, that for someone who was so snooty and popular in L.A., Buffy learns to be one of the nerds very quickly. She befriends Willow and Xander pretty much BECAUSE they're nerds, which is cool, but not very popular-girl-esque.

It doesn't matter ANYWAY, it was just a thought I had while watching the first few episodes again.

Faith's just arrived ;)

I know what you mean. I thought it was because she got into a lot of trouble at her old school, I'm sure they mentioned something about burning down the gym. That's what I always thought. Otherwise I think she would have chosen Cordelia to be friends with over Willow.

I should have been working!! I had to keep minimising so I totally misread what Roxi had said. :D

Having now re-read, I agree, she takes to being a nerd easily which is odd considering she used to be the popular one.

I have just ordered the first season on DVD!

At last, I've finally got the chance to read this thread and comment!

I watched every episode of Buffy when it was first broadcast on terrestrial TV (BBC2?) and was hooked from the very first episode by the tremendously witty writing. I remember watching the episode where Buffy has to kill Angel in floods of tears. It took me days to get over that! It was such a treat to buy the complete boxset and watch all the episodes through in order. I might even do it again! ;)

Anyway, random thoughts...

I can't choose a favourite season, they were all great (even series 4, which no-one seems to like). Plus another reason I can't pick a fave is because my memory is shocking and I can't remember which episodes belong in which series. :D There aren't many episodes I don't like, but the one that always sticks in my mind is "Go Fish". God, I really hate that one. It was a stinker. It didn't improve on the second watching either.

The characters... I used to fancy Angel, but to be honest Spike is hotter. Angel's "tortured soul" thing gets a bit wearing and monotonous after a while. I much prefer Spike's honesty - he's evil and he admits he is. Also, Spike gets all the best one liners!

I find it quite interesting that a lot of people don't really like Buffy, seeing her as a whiner, and I used to feel the same. But after my marathon re-watch of all the episodes, I saw Buffy in a new light. I don't think she does complain much, considering what the poor girl goes through! How hard is her life? Sure, she has cool super-powers, but at what cost? She has to juggle being the slayer with school, work, family commitments... A lot of people struggle with those by themselves, without the added pressure of fighting evil! Because she has such a strong sense of duty, she can never just walk away or treat it as fun, like Faith did. Plus, she is incredibly brave: she sacrifices herself (literally) to save others. I think she does a damn good job. And anyway, anyone who has Dawn for a "sister" is entitled to whinge.

So, my favourite characters are Spike and Buffy herself. I couldn't stand Oz, and disliked Dawn, who seemed to spend her time trying to get herself and/or Buffy killed. I liked Willow until she got "above herself" as a powerful witch. I always liked Xander, Giles, Faith, Anya (hilarious) but found Joyce, Drusilla and Tara pretty annoying. And I didn't like the three "uber nerds" and the fact that they were the "big bad" for most of the season.

I'm glad someone else has mentioned the whole "Terra" thing, it drove me nuts. :D

I think Spike's character was developed the most. When you consider what he was like when he arrived - a pretty conventional bad guy - the way he changed was very interesting. I suppose he changed for selfish reasons, ie he loved Buffy so wanted to do good things to please her, but by the end I think he truly had changed and wanted to do the right thing to make up for his past. And

his sacrifice at the end was amazing and moving.

Well, that's a pretty long post, so I'll stop now. I wonder where Roxi's up to now in her Buffy marathon? :D

I can't believe it has been finished so long. I was a bit young when it was first broadcast but I've the box set for 3 or 4 years now and I watched from when season 5 was on BBC2. I agree about Go Fish. The only part of that episode I like is when Cordy thinks Xander is the fish and she says she loves him. I HATE the freshman episodes, with Buffy's weird roomate that was some kind of demon (sorry it's been a long time since I have seen it).

I'm going to start watching this properly. Trying to watch one episode a day. I have only seen Welcome to the Hellmouth so far so I'll keep going :D I like Angel episode of season 1.

Okay:

Season 4 WAS good, they all were, it was just arguably the poorest - Angel was a tough character to follow up, and Riley just couldn't cut it. The Yoko Factor, when Angel came back to Sunnydale, was hilarious. And I love all the cross over episodes, the TPangs in Buffy and I Will Remember You (where the Morah demon makes Angel human) in his show.

Regarding episodes, Go Fish (season 2) was indeed a stinker. But still, given the enormous number of 'nail on the head' episodes, I think we can forgive them :D

Favourite episodes: I like all of Season 1, but nothing stands out. Being REALLY selective in Season 2: Becoming 1 & 2 (the finale eps) Phases and Passion (due to the speeches). I also love Surprise, Innocence, What's My Lines Pt 1&2, Lie To Me, The Dark Age and Halloween, but don't LOVE them.

Season three is the all round winner with me. The Wish, Amends, Lover's Walk, Dopplegangland, Band Candy, Earshot, The Prom, Graduation 1&2 - Nearly the entire season is comprised by epic one-episode-masterpieces.

Theres only a handful over the following seasons: Pangs, Yoko Factor, This Year's Girl, New Moon Rising, Primeval, The Gift, Once More With Feeling, Tabula Rasa and Doublemeat Palace.

Spike - great character, but the most change occurs over seasons 5.5-7, which I basically didn't watch, so... He does have some great lines. They all do, really. I love Spike in 'Lover's Walk', when he drives out of town at the end to find Drusilla singing 'My Way' haha. But agreed, what he did in the end made me bawl. A lot. Man I love this show. I need to rejoin a Buffy forum. I got booted off the last one for causing trouble. (I was 14.)

I'll admit, r.e. Buffy whining, when Faith turned up after I watched all the eps together, I really wasn't fond of her easy going attitude and how everyone told Buffy to lighten up, so I agree, Mia, that it's dependant on how you watch the episodes.

Miiiiiiaaaaaa why didn't you like Oz?? ;) That makes me sad. I adored his character. He's always so bang on with assessments, so deadpan about everything and so unintentionally sweet it makes me go awh :D

Willow: 'What's the occasion?'

Oz: 'Pretty much you are.'

And one of his best lines, 'this is all making the kind of sense that's... not.'

Joyce used to annoy me, but also seeing what she goes through in quick succession has made me like her more.

The Terra thing: It must be even more annoying for English accented people, you guys say it with more depth than Irish people! We kinda go halves between Terra and 'tawra' which is closer to how you'd say it - but the english accent merely emphasises the same name, rather than saying something totally other.

Roxi is pleased to announce she's halfway through Season 3, about to watch a most beloved episode - Amends, the one where the First Evil torments Angel into near-suicide, where everyone makes up, and then it snows and we all go 'DAWWWWW :D' and tear up a little. I've watched 44 episodes in 3 or 4 days. Oooh! Amends is 44! 44 down, 100 to go :D

Man do I know how to talk. :D

Edited by Nollaig

Maybe it was Buffy's way of rebelling against her old lifestyle and just wanting to start completely afresh, as a 'new' person.

I agree about Go Fish. The only part of that episode I like is when Cordy thinks Xander is the fish and she says she loves him. I HATE the freshman episodes, with Buffy's weird roomate that was some kind of demon (sorry it's been a long time since I have seen it).

I can't remember Go Fish at all. I remember the hyena episode, early in Season 1, I think. It was pretty gross!

Possibly the episode I dislike the most is the one that involves beer and drunk freshman students. Very poorly acted.

Spike - great character, but the most change occurs over seasons 5.5-7, which I basically didn't watch, so... He does have some great lines. They all do, really. I love Spike in 'Lover's Walk', when he drives out of town at the end to find Drusilla singing 'My Way' haha. But agreed, what he did in the end made me bawl. A lot. Man I love this show. I need to rejoin a Buffy forum. I got booted off the last one for causing trouble. (I was 14.)

:D You causing trouble Roxi? I don't believe that!

I'm a big fan of Spike as well. I never really got into Angel.

I like the Hyena episode, Xander was fab in that. I didn't really like the Buffy/Beer/drunk freshman episode either. All seemed kind of pointless.

Spike's character changed so much throughout the seasons. I liked his relationship with Drusilla, there were some very funny moments.

Oz was great! I was so disappointed when he left. I loved him with Willow, they were so sweet together. Plus, he added an extra dimension to the Scooby gang.

Characters I didn't like - Tara, Dawn, Jenny, Riley, Buffy's room mate (I just remember that she had a Celine Dion poster!) and Joyce.

I just watched Amends.

It wins the award for best Buffy episode this side of Graduation. I don't like to compare pre-Grad eps to post-grad, as they're just too different. But in the 'Angel' story arcs, this episode is the best ever. I knew it was good, but I hadn't seen it in a long time and watching it again - well, as per usual, I was in tears. The scripting is just so perfect. I know I'm biased because I love Christmas and it's a Christmas episode, but still. <3

It features possibly the most open and honest exchange between Buffy and Angel, and David's acting is second to none. It's got flashbacks of Angel's history, it's got everyone making 'amends' and it's got snow. I just LOVE it.

I have to go on a quote spree, I apologise.This scripting, I think, is just perfect.

Angel: 'That thing wasn't haunting me, it was showing me. What I am.'

Buffy: 'Were.'

Angel: 'And ever shall be.'

Angel: 'I'm weak, I've never been anything else. It's not the demon in me that needs killing, it's the man.'

Buffy: 'You have the power to do real good, to make amends, but if you die now then all you ever were was a monster.'

*They fight a bit and he knocks her down*

Angel: 'Am I a thing worth saving, huh? Am I a righteous man? The world wants me gone.'

Buffy: 'What about me? I love you so much. I tried to make you go away, I killed you and it didn't help. And I hate it, I hate that it's so hard, and that you can hurt me so much. I know everything that you did because you did it to me. I wish that I wished you dead. I don't. I can't.'

Season three is the all round winner with me. The Wish, Amends, Lover's Walk, Dopplegangland, Band Candy, Earshot, The Prom, Graduation 1&2 - Nearly the entire season is comprised by epic one-episode-masterpieces.

You're right, there are some damn good episodes there. :D I'm not too hot with seeing titles and remembering the story, but the fact that I can remember most of those listed above proves I really liked them.

Regarding The Wish, I know it was the one where Cordy wishes Buffy had never come to town. Was it the one where

there was evil Willow wearing leather? And the one where there's the big fight at the end? If so (and if I'm remembering the correct episode) the casual way Buffy staked Angel and moved on was really shocking and heartbreaking to me at the time. Great stuff!

Dunno what season it is, but one of my faves is Hush. The only episode to have baddies that I found truly scary, it was pretty nasty. I just loved the creepy way the Gentlemen moved - excellent acting. Also brilliant humour, where

the scoobies get together and Buffy mimes staking, unfortunately it looks like something else! ;)

Miiiiiiaaaaaa why didn't you like Oz?? :D That makes me sad.

Firstly, I just don't rate the guy as an actor. I don't even like him in the Austin Powers movies. He did have some great lines, but he always sounded like he was just reading them out and they never quite worked. Plus, I didn't like the way he treated Willow! :D He cheated on her with that Veruca (how can you date someone named after a foot wart?), and then he just disappeared and broke her heart. Sorry Oz fans!

Joyce used to annoy me, but also seeing what she goes through in quick succession has made me like her more.

I did warm to her a bit by the end, but I just hated the way she reacted when

she found out Buffy was the Slayer, ie doing the old emotional blackmail and telling her not to return if she went out to save the world.

Enjoy the next 100 eps, Roxi! :D

Edited by Mia
Spoiler tags