Who is the Vampire to beat All Vampires?

Hey everyone! Who do you think is the Vampire to beat All Vampires? Is it the traditional Dracula? The naughty Lestat? One of the very modern and good looking Cullens? Or even maybe the best ginger Vampire Mr.Crepsley!

Let The Battle Commence! :)

Edited by Christie

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you mean the best character (in which case I'd say Anne Rice's Lestat or Armand), or the one who would beat all others in an all-out vampire brawl (in which case I'd have to think about it)?

I meant best Vampire character but it would be interesting to think about who would be the best in a vampire brawl! Thanks for your reply :)! But I think Louis has definatly proved that he can be a toughie but I'm not sure who would win in that brawl? MMMmmmmm?

I think Louis is my favourite vampire character.....poor tortured soul that he is. Although Lestat has the most fun.....it's a tough one :)

Can I have them both?

I haven't read Anne Rice's books yet, so can't vote for either of them I'm afraid. I do love the Cullen's of course, but I like Bill and Eric from the Sookie series too, they're more 'traditional' vampires, with having to sleep during the day, sleeping in coffins etc.

Isn't it weird how each author changes what vampires are like, is there a specific right or wrong, I mean do you have pre-conceptions as to what a vampire should be like? Like how the Cullens can come out in the day and sparkle, a lot of people weren't impressed with that as vampires traditionally cannot come out during the day or they burn in the sun.

Hey everyone! Thanks for all replying! I think we should stay with the best character Vampire and I will make another thread on best brawler if you would like. :) I suppose you can have two favourites, hehe as I have it's soo hard to chose as there are soo many different Vampire books out there!

Keep battling and keep up the replies! And then the Overall winner will be announced! :D:D:D

I haven't read any book of vampires and draculas yet, which is strange now I think about it, because I have seens so many movies about this topic. From the movies I've seen, I like the vampires played by Cruise and Pitt most, they weren't really scary for me, not even the one played by Cruise and the movie wasn't just a great story, but also funny.

I been planning on reading novels about them for quite some time though. But I want to read so many things :) Is it better to start with the classic Bram Stokers Dracula or doesn't it matter what one reads first?

(after reading the reviews on this website, I got some of those books which seemed a good read from the library, one of the titles I got is 'The Historian' by Elizabeth Kostova, from what I understand, it seems to have a bit of dracula or vampire stuff in it, after finishing another book, that one is my next read)

Edited by sadya

"Dracula", though a brilliant book, is rather old and flowery in prose (provided you read it unabridged, which as far as I'm concerned is the only proper way to read a book) so it might not be the best introduction; nonetheless I would still start with a classic. Anne Rice's books are fairly new but have become almost Scripture as far as vampire literature go; I'd suggest trying "Interview with the Vampire" (followed by "The Vampire Lestat" and "Queen of the Damned"), given that you've already liked the film, and maybe reading Dracula after that.

For my part I wouldn't advise you to read certain more recent accounts of sparkly vampires :) not as an introduction nor ever; but I'm sure that statement will have many people pointing stakes at my chest. Not that Rice doesn't modernise her vampires at all; the difference (apart from the standard of writing) is that her explanations of the modernisations make sense. No sparkledom.

Thanks for the advice. :) Then Anne Rice it is. After that I'm going to read Bram Stokers 'Dracula'. Very curious and excited! I hope the book 'Interview with a vampire' will be as wonderful as the movie. :D

I am reading Interview with the Vampire at the moment and am really enjoying it. Lestat, what a character!

I agree with Bookjumper, having recently read Dracula becuase I felt I should (!), I found it all very flowery which meant that it quite difficult to get in to. Not enough action for my tastes. That isn't to say that I didn't enjoy it though, I just wouldn't say it was my favourite book.

There is nothing wrong with sparkly vamps Bookjumper :)

*pouts* Christopher Lee, Gary Oldman, Tom Cruise (respectively Dracula, Dracula and Lestat) never sparkled */pout*

In any case, personally I love Stoker's floweriness (quite possibly because I'm a fairly flowery writer myself); I just realise that it's may not be to everyone's taste, or the easiest vampire novel for a beginner in the genre to (haha, I'm so funny...) get their teeth into.

haha! I like the character of Dracula and the 'flowery' writing is really descriprive, I just found that it took a while for anything to happen! Now, had Dracula sparkled that could have added an extra dimension to his character *ducks* :)

Hey everyone! Thanks for all your replies! I havent read Dracula all the way throught do you think I should? I love Interview with a Vampire and I think that the movie did well by keeping it quite close to the book. I love all the different views different authors have on vampires.

Stephenie Meyer's sparkling Vampires,

Darren Shan's no teeth vampires,

Anne Rice's naughty but nice vampires.

I LOVE THEM ALL!

Hmmm, well Bram Stoker did start out the whole tragic/tortured vampire thing. Anne rice's rogue Lestat gets to have many adventures. Charlaine Harris's Eric is entertaining as the desirable but dangerous guy in the Sookie Stackhouse series. JR Ward has a sort of hip hop approach with her boys from the Black Dagger brotherhood series. Sherilyn Kenyon has Daemons and Darkhunters with an intriging Acheron. Many others do the macho man thing that draws the ladies. I'd have to go with Lestat as others have already mentioned. Louie is nice though and I don't care for Armand or Marius.

I'd have to go with Lestat as others have already mentioned. Louie is nice though and I don't care for Armand or Marius.

I've just finished The Vampire Lestat and I must say he is now my firm favourite character. He, like Louis, is also a tortured soul and isn't as hard hearted as I expected him to be after reading Interview With The Vampire.

There are books dedicated to Armand and Marius in the series so maybe my opinion of them will change after reading these, but at the moment I'm not too keen on either of them. We shall see! :censored:

I've just finished The Vampire Lestat and I must say he is now my firm favourite character. He, like Louis, is also a tortured soul and isn't as hard hearted as I expected him to be after reading Interview With The Vampire.

There are books dedicated to Armand and Marius in the series so maybe my opinion of them will change after reading these, but at the moment I'm not too keen on either of them. We shall see! :censored:

I've read them and my opinion didn't change. Happy reading anyway:)

Louie is nice though and I don't care for Armand or Marius.

I always found Louis a bit insipid; I think him being played in the film by Brad Pitt (who I detest with several passions) didn't help. I love Lestat both on page and screen (me and him share a sense of humour), couldn't care less for Marius and have quite a soft spot for Armand - although I'll never forgive them for casting Antonio Banderas to play him. He's meant to

have undied at SIXTEEN YEARS OLD for goodness' sake! Dashing he may be; but making him so much older changes his character entirely in a way I don't like at all. He's meant to be a little, curly-haired Botticelli angel. Banderas does not look like a Botticelli angel.

/rant

I finished reading 'Interview with the vampire' last Saturday. It was much like the movie, as far as I could remember.

The way Rice described in the book what a vampire feels when becoming a vampire or drinking blood made it a bit less disgusting and almost something mystical, I'm not sure how to explain. It was very interesting to read the way they see the world in comparison to humans.

I've always liked both Louis and Lestat in the movie, and it was the same in the book. In the movie, I wasn't sure what to think about Armand though, in my opinion he wasn't enough 'explained' so to speak, but after reading the book, I understand his character and decisions better. I felt sad for Claudia.

It was a fantastic read. I haven't seen the movie in a long time. After finishing the book, I watched the movie again. This is one of the rare occasions that for me the movie was as good as the book. There were some changes of course, but they weren't all that bad. From what I understand there are two more books. I'm looking forward to reading them. :welcome:

Today I finished 'The Historian'. It was interesting because you get a lot of real history of the places the characters in the book visit and there were different kind of stories and legends about vampires and dracula's. An original twist to a topic which has been covered so many times. It was an amazing read. :smile2: