Your thoughts

SueK

On another Forum that I frequent (more of a health and holistic one) , there is a thread, similar to one on here entitled "What are you reading right now". Someone has mentioned the books they are reading and then ended with: "perhaps I had better stop reading and get a life".

I thought to myself: that won't go down too well on this forum:lol:

:lol::readingtwo::):readingtwo::lol:

Maybe if you read to the exclusion of all other things on a full time basis then you may have a problem, and truly should go get a life.

I think however, that most book lovers have a good life in many respects, and that their reading forms a part of that. I will on occasion delay something to carry on reading a captivating book, but I don't delay life and living. :lol:

I agree with you Chrissy. Life and book not only they're not mutually exclusive (you can have just one of tthe two), but also they don't have side effects on the other one :)

A good book can help you living your life, passing through a bad time, giving you quite while everything else in your life is lousy and so on.

On the other side living your life means you'll be able, through the experiences and the encounters you've made, to understand more deeply the feelings of other human beings as written on the page. Books and life can't exist one without the other :lol:

(What a bookworm phrase the last, but how true :lol: )

I also think you can be a richer (in mind) person for being a book lover. Think how much more you can talk about to your friends and acquaintances. I go out with some like-minded friends for a meal once a month and we don't stop talking about books we've read. Very unlikely we talk about "real" things.

As MDR124 says: books do not exclude life (they inform it) and life does not exclude books (it gives them meaning).

I feel compelled to add, however, that rarely do books lie, injure and backstab. Given a choice between life and books, I'd choose books. If that makes me sad, I'm proud of my sadness.

Personally, I think what constitutes 'having a life' is a very personal thing. To some people, being immersed in one hobby is something they do see as being 'sad' (whether they're meaning personally or thinking of others) whereas others see it as a devotion. In the main, I think the vast majority of people have a lot more going on in their life than one single thing (be it reading or anything else).

In my opinion, do whatever makes you happy as long as you're not hurting others. Life's too short to spend it apologising or making excuses for who you are or what you enjoy.

Oh, I think reading IS having a life. NOT reading would be to have no life in my opinion.

Well, it does mean that perhaps I spend less time actually TALKING to people. But that's not just my reading, I am the kind of person with only a few close friends. On the other hand, I don't change those friends very often. If ever.

I am going to bare a little of my soul here :).

I sometimes think that books are my escape from my life. As a young person I was a bit of a rebel and constantly sought to escape 'real' life. This led me into all sorts of sticky and quite shameful situations :motz:. Not that my life was/is 'bad' but it was/is never enough for me, at least it wouldn't be if I didn't have the books to bury myself in.

However, I don't mix with people very well. It has been suggested that I may be slightly autistic. I am happy to grasp this diagnosis as it excuses me a little from being a miserable old battleaxe who would rather stay home and read than go to the party :motz:.

Ok, I suppose I sort of agree with the "everything in moderation" theory - sort of.

There have been times in my life where reading books was what saved my life & reading became something I did to the exclusion of most everything else, as a protection mechanism. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with that. I don't see (& if I am wrong, then fine) how reading could be/has ever been something that was considered a distructive element within someone's life.

I think the "in moderation" applies much better to things like desserts, alcohol, partying - things like that. Books? Perhaps one could apply that to genres of books, but to reading on a whole? Nah, just don't see it happening, nor the need for that to happen!

I agree that the person who said it was someone who for whatever reason felt that they needed to apologise for being a reader & that is such a shame! Celebrate the fact that you are a reader, I say!

To be honest, my life is mostly reading books. Don't have much of a social life and actually don't regret that. It's my children, my books and me. And a very few friends with whom I get in touch once or twice a year and some family members who sometimes show up once or twice a year or we visit them once or twice a year. That's it. For the most part, my life is only books. And movies.

I could live without the movies though, but not without the books. I could even live without other human beings, but not without books. Is it unhealthy? I don't know, but I don't think so. I don't have a problem with it.

I couldn't often mix well with other people either, though as far as I know, I don't have any disorder, I used to be extremely shy while growing up though. I've always mostly read books in my life. They helped me through my childhood and are helping me now through the rest of my life. Nothing makes me happier than having a nice read or reread. :)

To be honest, my life is mostly reading books. Don't have much of a social life and actually don't regret that. It's my children, my books and me. And a very few friends with whom I get in touch once or twice a year and some family members who sometimes show up once or twice a year or we visit them once or twice a year. That's it. For the most part, my life is only books. And movies.

I could live without the movies though, but not without the books. I could even live without other human beings, but not without books. Is it unhealthy? I don't know, but I don't think so. I don't have a problem with it.

I couldn't often mix well with other people either, though as far as I know, I don't have any disorder, I used to be extremely shy while growing up though. I've always mostly read books in my life. They helped me through my childhood and are helping me now through the rest of my life. Nothing makes me happier than having a nice read or reread. :D

I think that is a very refreshing and honest view of life Sadya. Although I like to mix and go out with friends, books are very important to me. I even think that when it comes to retirement, I am measuring it by the amount of books I need to read - rather than the holidays or whatever else I want to cram into retirement.:)

Books and reading are a major part of my life too. I have an anxiety disorder and when I have my bad days, they help me 'escape' and I find I am able to forget how I feel for a few hours allowing me to relax and to get things straight. Thankfully, I don't have so many bad days now as I used to, two years ago, I couldn't leave the house on my own, let alone talk to anyone! Now, I zoom about everywhere by myself. I don't think I would of been able to get through those times without having books, reading has always been a big part of my life, even when I was a child, we were discouraged from watching TV and to read a book instead. Do I feel guilty about reading so much? Sometimes, but when I do. I get the dog and go for a walk, but I have never felt like I had to apolagize for reading so much.:)

Hugs, Bethxx

I couldn't leave the house on my own

:) and my, that sounds familiar. To sum me up: exploration of the real world: scary; exploration of the world within a book: aaaah that's better :D.

In my opinion, do whatever makes you happy as long as you're not hurting others. Life's too short to spend it apologising or making excuses for who you are or what you enjoy.

Absolutely, and I think that a (non hurting of others) hobby is a very healthy thing to have - and reading is mine!

I am happy to grasp this diagnosis as it excuses me a little from being a miserable old battleaxe who would rather stay home and read than go to the party :D.

Nope, I'm happy to fly the flag for battleaxes! I'd much rather read than party! :)

I don't see (& if I am wrong, then fine) how reading could be/has ever been something that was considered a distructive element within someone's life.

Here, here. As with anything, it's the quality of your life. Is that affected negatively by your reading? If, like me the answer is a big fat NO - then there's no issue!

Nothing makes me happier than having a nice read or reread. :)

And that's the answer - you are happy because of your reading

This is such an interesting thread. I've never apologised for my reading habits - and never will! It enhances my life and, I believe makes me a better (and happier) person. :)

I also think you can be a richer (in mind) person for being a book lover.

Though not in pocket, thus is the cross we have to bear . . .

I feel compelled to add, however, that rarely do books lie, injure and backstab.

Never underestimate a vicious paper cut!

I'd much rather read than party! :friends0:

I totally agree. the whole reason to having a party is to have fun (and possibly get wasted) and i dont c anything at a party that's more fun than reading a good book.

books dont rule everything in my life though. i like to have a balance of book reading and social life. unfortunately not many of my close friends read many books so i cant talk about books and socialize much. well ccept for here of course:mrgreen:

I second what most people have said about the two not being mutually exclusive and if anything actually compliment each other.

I hate seeing people on sites like Myspace and Facebook who brag about the fact they dont read in the 'Reading:..' section. Things like "Reading: Im not a loser.", make me think, 'well the fact that you have taken time out to fill in a section about what you read then just using it for that makes you a complete loser. In the time it took you to think up that witty *cough cough* comment, you could have picked up a book and actually used that brain cell sat in your head, that way it may possibly multiply.'

</ end rant > :friends0:

Surely by doing something you enjoy, you are living your life.

I always think of reading as escaping into the someone elses mind and imagination.....that to me is living life! Suppose it depends on the individual and what they regard as 'living life'.

Last year I recommended a book I'd just finished to a woman I worked with, she replied "why would I want to do something stupid like that?".......I'm still baffled by the fact that she used the word stupid! :friends0:

Bravo Sadya, you , in my eyes, are truly living.

You know for thousands of years, oui, the family it was everything. And as each little one was added and then others through marriage ,quite a tribe, a clan was born and it was so unique and each beautiful.

Within it was music and ways of saying things that had its own rythmn and sound and stories, lays about that family in peaceful times and times of strife and war were spoken about and passed down .Each person was a story, or part of a greater story. That is history, oui?

Until relatively modern times, because of the highway robbers, the pirates and enemies, many people never left their villages and yet, if you study them, they had such diversity and learned so much from nature, both flora , fauna and human. They were rich, they had the roots, oui? and they knew who they were.

I am always thinking, since a very little girl, that everything I did and suffered, everything I spoke and witnessed and engaged in was the making of a unique story. Whether it would be read by many or only by my family, what did that matter. It was my 'once upon a time.'

It is through peer pressure and silly trends and society and the media oui, that the people , they all do the same things, spinning the wheels and in the end, did they actually live?

Some of my most precious memories were not of my travels but of sitting on the steps in the early rising morning sun, the flowers intoxicating and the green grass soft and lovely like a carpet. I would have my little cup of tea oui, and my book of the day.

And I would slip from my world into theirs. And even then what I was doing in that simple act was part of another story.

Be true to who you are, that is the most beautiful and glorious thing non?