Fictional Villains We Love to Hate

Fictional literature is full of villains, and we love to hate them! Who are some of your favorites?

Here's mine:

Hannibal Lechter from Silence of the Lambs

Bill Sikes from Oliver Twist

Professor Moriarty from The Final Problem (Sherlock Holmes)

The White Witch from The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Alec d'Urberville from Tess of the d'Urbervilles,

Mrs. Danvers from Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier

Count Dracula from Dracula by Brahm Stoker

Lestat from The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice

Javert from Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey by Arthur c. Clarke

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Javert from Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

I actually find Dracula a very sad, lonely figure; Lestat fascinates me in a way dull, goody-two-shoes Louis never did and Javert I don't think we're meant to hate at all - I found myself sobbing so hard during his last chapter, "Javert goes off the rails", when his whole world-view crumbles and he discovers he is not the emblem of Good he thought he was. He's easily the most complex character in "Les Miserabl

I think Shakespeare's Richard III is a fab villain. Can't help myself falling under his spell every time I read/see it!

Also Bradley Headstone in Our Mutual Friend, although you could say he was driven to his actions rather than setting out to be evil.

Great thread:)

I have to agree on Prof. Moriarty as the archetypal villain complete with floating black cape. Mrs Danvers as the sinister housekeeper again, dressed in black and quite evil.

Another one of my favourite villains is Smallweed in Bleak House, nasty piece of work he was.

I love Becky Sharp from Vanity Fair and Mrs. John Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility. I love how devious and manipulative Becky is, and how self-centered and stupid Mrs. Dashwood is.

Two that come to mind;

Professor Umbridge - my god, this vile creature deserves a slap.

Randall Flagg, 'walkin dude, Walter 'O Dim etc - whatever you want to call him, he's prominent in a couple of King's novels, a very shifty, cocky and powerful guy, you'd be wise not to cross him.

• 4 weeks later...
Oh yes I second Professor Umbridge

Was Professor Umbridge that very pink obsessed woman from the films...? I've never read the books, but if that is in fact her, I second your.. um.. seconds. :lol: I loved her because she scared me...

He's been mentioned, but Lestat, dear Lestat, my favourite bad boy.

Also, Dracula featured in Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian was both a terrible and yet strangely fascinating individual - both in history and in that novel.

Was Professor Umbridge that very pink obsessed woman from the films...? I've never read the books, but if that is in fact her, I second your.. um.. seconds. :lol: I loved her because she scared me...

He's been mentioned, but Lestat, dear Lestat, my favourite bad boy.

Also, Dracula featured in Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian was both a terrible and yet strangely fascinating individual - both in history and in that novel.

Yes that's her!

I agree with Dracula too

Fictional literature is full of villains, and we love to hate them! Who are some of your favorites?

Here's mine:

Hannibal Lechter from Silence of the Lambs

I loved all these three villians! I'd also like to add Dexter from the Darkly Dreaming Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay :lol: Not strictly the bad guy but he is a psychopathic killer!

I think Shakespeare's Richard III is a fab villain. Can't help myself falling under his spell every time I read/see it!

Also Bradley Headstone in Our Mutual Friend, although you could say he was driven to his actions rather than setting out to be evil.

Hmmm... I'm in the middle of Our Mutual Friend. It's not yet apparent that Bradley is a villain. A prig definitely.

If you're talking Shakespeare then Shylock in Merchant of Venice is good.

Ah, but is he a villain? The matter is far from decided; I should know as I'm currently in the midst of writing an essay on the subject. Shylock is a usurer because Christian society won't allow him a more dignifid profession, he has spent all his life being spat upon, called names, discriminated against in every possible way - such treatment would hardly make anyone into a saint, in my opinion.

I don't go the full length of some critics and class him as a wronged hero; undoubtedly by the end he's lost all proper sense of right and wrong, but to class him as a clear cut villain is I think also inappropriate. Personally I like to think of him as someone who was made into a villain - more or less like Mary Shelley's Creature from "Frankenstein", the only difference is that in Merchant the side the author is on is less explicit.

Someone once said that in a good play, everyone is in the right. Or, as Merchant proves, in the wrong (the added cast of backstabbing, forunehunting, intolerant, misoginistic Venetians isn't exactly in the right, either). Such is the genius of Shakespeare.