Are you put off with less than 100 pages?

I think it depends on my mood at the time. I'm not put off by short books necessarily. I often read compilations of short works - two that I've read a couple of times would be the selected tales by Poe and The Tent by Atwood. I read John Livingstone Seagull last year and thoroughly enjoyed that. And isn't Heart of Darkness by Conrad very short... and The Fatal Eggs by Bulgakov? Maybe not under 100 pages, but both very brief books.

S x

Ther's plenty of books which are under the 100 but still worth reading. But I can understand your feelings towards tiny books. I like to pick up books which are quite thick :shrug:, thinking that characters as well as the plot and everything else might be developed to the very end. Unfortunately it's not always like that: and all ou can get is boredom, vaste, huge boredom.

Of course I will read short stories but never buy books new anyway.

I am keen on Graphic novels especially the Marvel comics. But that is different. I was going to read "Goodbye Mr Chips" but was put off by the few pages, the original film made me think it was a book of about 700 pages.

I like to pick up books which are quite thick :shrug:, thinking that characters as well as the plot and everything else might be developed to the very end.

Same here, plus I want to enjoy it for a while... with a very short book I tend to think it will be over way too quickly.

mmm maybe I should try to remedy that. I'm certainly missing out on some great reads that way. And very short books would be good to read in the transports when I have little time.

Same here, plus I want to enjoy it for a while... with a very short book I tend to think it will be over way too quickly.

mmm maybe I should try to remedy that. I'm certainly missing out on some great reads that way. And very short books would be good to read in the transports when I have little time.

There are a lot of Pennac's really worth reading, which are less than 100, but very enjoyable and entertaining (e.g. The long night of doctor Galvan or some in the Malaussene series).

If i am looking for a book I am usually put off by those that have less than 100 pages. I just dont think a story has time to develop enough and I want a damn good read
It depends on what the book is about. I can think of a few books that are 100 pages or thereabouts, a couple of which are fiction, that I could easily read over and over again, and which have given me a longer lasting impression than any of the other books I've read.

I take it you don't enjoy short stories then?

No I guess not. I can't say I don't enjoy them though, I have never really sat down and tried to read them for enjoyment.

I'm not saying my perspective is correct or even justified, I think that is just my implicit though process that leads me to not even consider shorter books.

I don't mind how long the book is, as long as its priced accordingly and is a good read. Short books can be good too if you've lost your reading mojo and are looking for something to ease it back, or if you've just finished a doorstop and want something quick for a change.

Yeah I agree Charm, although I've never read a book of short stories before tbh, are there any really good books of short stories?

I own only 2 books under 100 pages and 1 at just over 100, and those are all harry potter charity books that accompany the series :shrug:

I like books of all lengths. I can read anything from a short story to a long, 1,000+ page novel. I've never felt that a short novel or short story lacked character or story development. It's just a different reading experience.

I don't know when I last read a book that was less than 100 pages, although that's just coincidental.. I don't think I'd turn a book away just because it was short. I just don't find as many books that are short like that. :shrug:

I have a couple of short novels that are just terrific...Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote and The Third Man by Grahame Greene both spring to mind, although they may be up to 150 pages long - I can't remember. Anyone remember how long Animal Farm by George Orwell is?

I find that, in a well-written short novel/story, the author tries harder to fit all their characterisation into the story - it doesn't mean that anything gets left out. With Animal Farm in particular, I recall thinking that there was not one superfluous sentence in the entire novel.

I don't think I've explained myself very well, but I'm extremely tired and having trouble thinking. Maybe I'll revisit later and try to be more coherent. Sorry. :shrug:

I've never read a book shorter than 100 - pages, but I always find books like Of Mice And Men etc., while extremely good, to be unsatisfactorily short. But I've never even seen a book shorter than 100 pages (not including my alphabet books as a child.)

Can anybody recommend me some?