Are you put off with less than 100 pages?

But I've never even seen a book shorter than 100 pages (not including my alphabet books as a child.)

Can anybody recommend me some?

If you don't mind reading a "children's" book, then you could try The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupery...if you haven't read it already. The other book I have in mind, at 112 pages, is Too Loud a Solitude by Bohumil Hrabal.

I can't guarentee all of these are under 100 pages.

Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

Death in Venice by Thomas Mann

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch by Alexsander Solzhenitsyn

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

John Livingstone Seagull: A Story by Richard Bach

The Fatal Eggs by Mikhail Bulgakov

And you can read collections of short stories.

S x

Edited by sixtyfoothigh

I can't guarentee all of these are under 100 pages.

Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka

The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman

And you can read collections of short stories.

S x

Yes, I'm currently enjoying those two myself, although they are part of two short stories collection books. Imo they bring forward topics that don't always need lots of pages; succinct stories that make you use your imagination more.

Animal farm by George Orwell is around 100 pages and was a great read too.

So to answer the question I do love short stories, the page numbers don't put me off and just because I am reading one it doesn't mean I'm bored with long books, I just prefer that paticular book's topic at the time. :shrug: Although I do agree when you have a busy schedule and you want to carry on reading but not commit too much time to remembering a long story, short stories are ideal.

Yes, I'm currently enjoying those two myself, although they are part of two short stories collection books. Imo they bring forward topics that don't always need lots of pages; succinct stories that make you use your imagination more.

Animal farm by George Orwell is around 100 pages and was a great read too.

So to answer the question I do love short stories, the page numbers don't put me off and just because I am reading one it doesn't mean I'm bored with long books, I just prefer that paticular book's topic at the time. :shrug: Although I do agree when you have a busy schedule and you want to carry on reading but not commit too much time to remembering a long story, short stories are ideal.

Short and long or very long texts are just as the style or the way into which something is written (language used and other technicalities) ways into which the story is told. I think a writer knows, or should know, the best way to convey his feelings, his messages (when they are present): and that's account to the lenght too. I absolutely agree with you Chrysalis.

Short books can still be life-changing... Richard Bach's "Illusions" is just over 100 pages, and one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. Guess that, like LoopyLoo, my problem is one of price: I didn't have a problem buying three promising but very short books on my last spree as they were all discounted at 2.99 - so less than half the price of books at least twice as long, which is fair enough - but I do have a problem with high-street bookshops trying to charge me the same for books of 100 and 1000 pages.

Short books can still be life-changing... Richard Bach's "Illusions" is just over 100 pages, and one of the most beautiful things I've ever read. Guess that, like LoopyLoo, my problem is one of price: I didn't have a problem buying three promising but very short books on my last spree as they were all discounted at 2.99 - so less than half the price of books at least twice as long, which is fair enough - but I do have a problem with high-street bookshops trying to charge me the same for books of 100 and 1000 pages.

I agree, I don't understand why people are allowed to charge a book of less than 150 pages the same price as a book with over 500 pages?! It's very strange.

I will only get them if I can get them discounted online, charity shop etc.

I'm quite fond of short stories and I have a collection of books of short stories which, funnily enough rarely make it the charity shops.

I think there is an art to writing one of say, 50-100 pages that can give a good plotline and some good characterisation. Daphne du Maurier's books come to mind, like The Birds, Don't Look Now etc - usually stories that leave you with a slight chill. I also have Penguin books of First World War and Russian short stories and lots of ghost ones by M R James, Rex Collins and Henry James etc. They are great to take on holiday too if you don't want to get involved in a great long novel.

I don't understand why people are allowed to charge a book of less than 150 pages the same price as a book with over 500 pages?!

Yeah I agree, I virtually never buy short books for this reason. It makes no sense, it OBVIOUSLY costs less to print shorter books (less paper and ink!) so why charge as much, or more? Books being short doesn't put me off reading them, but expense does.

I buy a lot of books from charity shops and places like Fopp or The Works where you can get books at a really good price... but that being said, if I wanted to read a book badly I'd pay more for it even if it was more expensive. I bought a copy of We by Yevgeny Zamyatin (side note: brilliant brilliant book) for

Agreed with most people; I enjoy short stories, but the prices are ridiculous, and I'm usually put off < 100 page books with a hefty price-tag.

i have quite a few books that are around 100 pages. most are just short stories of a series i am reading...like Back up by Jim Butcher which is only 70 i think. i just finished Jonathan Livingston Seagull that is around 100 and it was really good. (btw the only book my dad ever read.) :shrug:

Personally I think it's a good writer who can pull off a great story in less than 100 pages. If they can have a beginning, a middle, an end and a punchy story that keeps me interested and entertains me, they must write really well in my opinion.

Stephen King has a couple of books that are a collection of short stories and one of my favourites is a book called Like A Charm which is edited by Karin Slaughter and has 16 short stories. The first and last stories are also written by Karin Slaughter and the other 14 are written by other authors. Admittedly, each one does lead onto the next but even as individual storys, they are all really well written and enough to keep you individually interested.

• 2 months later...

On the other hand (adding to my previous post re: extortionate price of short books), they are pretty good to slowly tempt one's lost mojo into coming back. If I'm in a bit of a reading rut I may well begin a book that's 500 pages and by page 50 think, "Oooh look at the pretty daffodils"; while at page 50 of a book that's 90 pages long I'm likelier to kick myself into that last burst of concentration.

Returning to the price tag, the prime culprits are poetry and drama - spending

A good short novel (few pages more than 100) is The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid. If you haven't read it yet I suggest you to read it: you can easily do in one sitting.

It's on my tbr...I want to get around to it soon.

I'm not put off my less than a hundred pages - it's all about quality, not quantity. Breakfast at Tiffany's is less than a hundred pages, and it's a fab book. Some of Annie Proulx's short stories are fab too, and they are all less than a hundred pages (some less than ten). Sometimes it's quite nice to pick up a book and know that it's going to be a short read.:)

Interestingly I was thinking about this the other day, I have only read a few books that short but found them enjoyable, but I do find that I enjoy longer books more.

I don't mind short books and have a few books containing short stories too....my favourite being Isaac Bashevis Singer's Short Stories.

Sometimes I think it's nice to have something quick to read that can be finished in one sitting. As long as the story is quite direct in reaching its point then I find short stories and books fine. :)