Quoting from Books

SueK

Do you ever keep a note of some quotes that stand out in books. Sometimes you are hit by a sentence and think "I like that, I will write it down somewhere". I've only just started to do this - haven't got many as yet but my favourite so far is:

"You have grand gift of silence, Watson. It makes you quite invaluable as a companion". [The man with the twisted lip - Arthur Conan Doyle].

Or does this sound like a silly idea:blush:

I don't keep a list of them anywhere, but if a quote has particularly stood out, I'll probably remember it anyway - I have one of those brains full of trivial rubbish, and yet can't remember to pick up the bottle of milk before I leave for work in the morning!

My favourite book for quotes is Postcards From The Edge which my friend and I quote from all the time, and my favourite quote from it is "Instant gratification takes too long."

I have a used a quote from 'Tuesdays with Morrie' on numerous occasions in times of comfort needed for those who have needed it. Of which I have sent to a few people on here. They know who they are.:D

I have a notebook that I fill with anything that comes to mind, whether it be grocery lists, songs/artists that I've heard about and want to look up etc. I write quite a lot of book quotes in there as well, as the notebook goes everywhere with me and is usually present when I'm reading.

I have a notebook that I fill with anything that comes to mind, whether it be grocery lists, songs/artists that I've heard about and want to look up etc. I write quite a lot of book quotes in there as well, as the notebook goes everywhere with me and is usually present when I'm reading.

Ohhhhh . . . . . As well as my main quote book, I umm, errrr, have a seperate notebook for all the other notey-stuff you mention Kylie. This one is smaller than my quote book so I carry that around. If I'm reading mobile and I write a quote in it I later transcribe it into my main quote book. Mainly though I write in my quote book as I read or mark relevant book pages with page markers or metal petals for future transcription. :D

~ Trish, whose notebook pile is actually a foothill of her TBR one :irked:

Sue,

I don't think this is silly at all -- I think it's a wonderful idea. :irked: There are many times I'm reading a book and quotes jump out at me, as you said they do you, and I think you've inspired me to start keeping track of them. My member's thread seems like a great place to keep them, so I think I'll try that. Thanks for the inspiration. :D

I do this constantly, whether it's in a certain folder on my laptop with various passages, quotes or bits of speech or in random notebooks, or blank paper to put on my walls. I like surrounding myself with inspiring and cool things ^.^

I have a notebook where I write my favourite quotes, poems, songlyrics and other words I want to remember. I've had it since I was about 17, it's funny to read the early pages every now and then, I remember all kinds of stuff that I don't usually think about. Would be nice to have a diary too, I have made several attempts but sooner or later I forget about it, and find the diary a year later with a few pages written of what kind of groceries I bought that particular tuesday, and nothing at all about the things that later have turned out to be really important, and then I decide it's rubbish and throw the diary away.

I have a quote book, but also a notebook where I stick pictures from magazines/photos/alsorts of bits in and also write down my absolute favourite lyrics, and quotes from books and things. My singular favourite changes so often though. At the moment, it is a quote from Rudyard Kipling's poem 'If':

.... And so hold on when there's nothing in you

Except the Will which says to them: 'hold on!'