Law and Order UK

SueK

Did anyone watch this last night?

Having never seen the US version, I suspect that this new series has been taken directly from the US one. The story whips through at a great speed as it needs to get the crime and punishment finished within the hour. In typical style of similar US crime dramas, are we going to see plots shaved to the bare minimum so that the punishment is metered out in time? I dare say that unlike our crime dramas, the characters won't have a chance to develop and we won't see them in any other scenario other than knocking on doors and interviewing suspects. Hmm, not sure this will work on a UK audience? I appreciate it's a novel idea and I can't think of many series where we have adopted a US one.

So, my point is, Midsomer Murders it isn't:roll::lol:

Any views?

I was highly sceptical (admittedly one of my sticking points was Bradley Walsh - I have no problem with him personally just couldn't 'see' him in this) but I loved it and was very impressed. I'm an avid watcher of L&O and L&O:SVU (I'm another who can't stand Criminal Intent) and thought they transferred it really well to the UK.

Will definitely be watching again.:lol:

I'm a big fan of the U.S version (apart from Criminal intent- not a fan of the scenery chewing Vincent Dinofrio!) so I was a bit wary of this one. I thought it was actually very well done and enjoyed it.

:D I quite enjoy D'Onofrio's scenery chewing, makes Criminal Intent my favorite of the L&Os, I think his partner stands up to him quite well.

I didn't realize the UK had a version now.

I found that they develop the characters pretty well, and what I like is that the endings are not cut and dried, and are sometimes even ambiguous.

Is Law and Order on a terrestrial or freeview channel? If so, I might watch one. What is Criminal Intent?

Terrestrial - it's on channel 5. There's Law and Order on atm and Law and Order:SVU and Criminal Intent. SVU is a spin-off of Law and Order (stands for Special Victims Unit - deals with a lot of rape, child abuse etc cases) and Criminal Intent is another spin-off. Just checked and a new series of Criminal Intent has started but it's saying it's on at 11pm on Saturday but that Law and Order is on at 10.40pm so not sure what's happening there! Anyway, there's normally one or the other on after CSI on a Tuesday at some point, sometimes it's on a Friday evening too after NCIS and then it's on Saturday evenings too - it all depends on which one though.

Edited by BrainFreeze

What is Criminal Intent?

It follows what they call the 'major case squad'. High profile murder cases that can involve fraud and other crimes as well. Usually something with intricate reasoning and twisty thinking.

I forgot about this. I think it was clashing with too many other things on at 9pm on another 2 stations and couldn't video it or watch it on the wee telly. Everthing was being used....:motz:Is it repeated at all do you know?

Great to hear all your views thanks. and thanks for clearing up the Criminal Intent question.:D

I believe there is a Law and Order US episode over the weekend so if I'm not doing something else I may well watch this. I do enjoy some of the Crime Scene Investigation series so will try give it a go.

I did enjoy the UK one on Monday - it was quite different to any UK crime drama I had seen before.

Darn in:irked: I watched Law and Order last night but was so tired I fell asleep at the end....... can anyone tell me what happened, was the young boy found guilty?

Thank you:D

I love love love the US series - especially the first five seasons. I am pleasantly surprised with the UK version. The format is almost exactly the same. Bradley Walsh is really really good in this. I will keep watching.

I am sitting here looking at post before I go to bed and the TV is on the in the background and for those who are interested this programe is being repaeted as I type this post. So it came on after the news about 10.40pm.

Thanks Burghead Lass. I caught up with it again last night - better viewing time for me actually.

I am quite enjoying this series. No frills, just saying like it is and it seems to have a strong cast with some good guests (like Dervla Kirwin). Hope it sticks around for a while (ITV's losses permitting).