Reading in the car?

Cadenza

Me too! I'm dead jealous of those that can. I find even just reading a text message makes me queasy although strangely map reading does not seem to be a problem.

Weirdness! I feel nauseous even thinking about reading in the car, but just like Loo, I can read a map! I often get a 'white-out' if I even look down to move something around whilst in a car (not while I'm driving, though - now that would be a 'safe & sound' issue!)

So. There's my tuppence worth.

On that note...:irked:

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant read in the car at all. Such a shame when on a long journey. Planes are no problem, although as the children seem to need something every 5 minutes, I dont get too much reading done. I did start reading the new James Bond book at MAdrid airport last year though and got about 3/4 through by the time the plane touched down.

;)

Weirdness! I feel nauseous even thinking about reading in the car, but just like Loo, I can read a map!

yes I'm ok with a map too oddly, even though I feel sick with nothing when in the back

Very odd about the map thing, I suppose it may be a different part of the brain that reads maps - I suppose a map is more pictorial that written. I believe that pictures are dealt with by the right side of the brain. Maybe the left side is more involved with the nausea!

Ignore me I'm just waffling! ;)

I suppose when you are in the back of the car you are looking out of the side windows more and I believe looking to the front is the way to go to prevent nausea.

I suppose when you are in the back of the car you are looking out of the side windows more and I believe looking to the front is the way to go to prevent nausea.

I concur with your assessment here, Loo. Nausea, eh? It makes me sick...;)

As a kid, I got car-sick. My mother tried everything, including tying something to the back bumper that dragged on the road to having me sit on brown paper (??). I just Googled and found this:

"You are reading a book in a car. Your inner ear and skin receptors are telling your brain that you are moving. Your eyes see only the stationary book, and tell your brain that you are not moving. These bits of information don't go together, and the result is the discomfort that you feel and call car sickness."

By the way, I'm no longer car-sick ... can read or knit with no problem. My only relapse occurred when map-reading at night during a car rally. The driver was slinging the car around corners on two wheels, and that, plus the flickering map-reading light, did me in. I wound up feeling wretched in the back seat while our relief driver/navigator took over and proceeded to get us thoroughly lost.

mon dieu, just reading this thread and my stomach it is queasy. I could never read in the car, non, not even on a train , I feel so terrible.

I wish I could, it would be fantastic, but I need to concentrate on not being sick. :lol:

Did you do anything in particular, or did you just 'grow out of it'? If anything, I think I've gotten worse. :lol:

I must've grown out of it because I've not done anything ... it sort of happened. Several friends of mine can't read in the car and I feel sorry for them.

Last summer, I went with my elder son and his tribe, down to Washington, D.C., an eight-hour drive. We left in the wee hours, but as soon as it got light, I was either reading or quilting. My grandchildren had their noses buried in books, too. And two years ago we all flew to Seattle. My oldest granddaughter, then 14, took 9 books with her and bought 3 more while out there. Her knapsack weighed a ton.

Michelle, is it just cars? Can you read on a plane?

ive recently discovered i can read on the hour(ish) bus journey to college but 5 minutes in the car and i feel really sick. boats, i get dizzy reading on and the london tube makes me feel sick without trying to read haha. uni next year is going to be lovely. all the sickening journeys to and from uni on the tube.

I was fine reading on a plane! I read Angels and Demons on one 7 hour flight and The Da Vinci Code on the next 7 hour flight!

I can't do ferries though. I could barely walk in the ferry, it was just so disconcerting, moving only very slightly off balance occasionally.

I used to be an avid reader while travelling to work on the train, I could get through several chapters. However now I no longer travel by train and I find it difficult reading in the car. This is because I usually have a crying baby and a talkative toddler travelling with me:lol:

Somehow I think Joe that would do it ! How wonderful though to have such blessings, non?

Is there something natural I could take or do to help me not be so nauseated maybe, I would like oui, to be able to read while travelling, not to is such a waste i am thinking. :lol:

I find it difficult reading in the car. This is because I usually have a crying baby and a talkative toddler travelling with me:lol:

Also, I cant really picture the crying baby or the talkative toddler driving so I imagine you, of the three, are the driver which would make reading very hard!

:lol:

Also, I cant really picture the crying baby or the talkative toddler driving so I imagine you, of the three, are the driver which would make reading very hard!

:lol:

Sadly i do not drive but my poor husband does and he unfortunately has to put up with the three of us:smile2:

I would not dare of reading in the car I feel really sick the same thing happens when i play my DS in the car. It is just not worth it I think.

I tried playing my DS in the car and I too felt really nauseous

My parents and I had to go out to look at stuff for the house. I brought my DS but then I remembered how sick I felt last time I played it in the car. I didn't play it, which was a bad decision because I was so bored :lol:. On the other hand it was that or feel really sick:blush:.

I never read in the car. Usually because I insist on driving. Legendary arguments have ensued between BF and me, as he doesn't believe in letting a girl drive his car. Yet he's always asking to drive mine!

I don't mind reading in the car. But the problem is that when I ride in a car someone always has to have some sort of music going, therefore the radio is either turned on, or there's a CD playing. And being one of those people that prefers as much silence as possible when she reads, I hardly ever read in the car.