Dan's lists 2009

DanC_84

I decided to create this thread as a way to keep track of what I have read, what I am reading and what I want to read/buy.

Books read in 2009

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer (9/10)

New Moon - Stephenie Meyer (7/10)

Eclipse - Stephenie Meyer (8/10)

Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer (8/10)

The Venetian Betrayal - Steve Berry (6/10)

The Broker - John Grisham (8/10)

Noughts & Crosses - Malorie Blackman (9/10)

The Summons - John Grisham (5/10)

Cover Story - Colin Forbes (7/10)

Knife Edge - Malorie Blackman (8.5/10)

Check Mate - Malorie Blackman (9.5/10)

Double Cross - Malorie Blackman (8/10)

Naked in Death - JD Robb (8/10)

Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris (7.5/10)

Testimony - Anita Shreve (9/10)

Glory in Death - JD Robb (7.5/10)

Bitten - Kelley Armstrong (7/10)

Living Dead in Dallas - Charlaine Harris (7/10)

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger (10/10)

Candy - Kevin Brooks (6/10)

Immortal in Death - JD Robb (8/10)

Club Dead - Charlaine Harris (7/10)

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak (9/10)

Rapture in Death - JD Robb (7/10)

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold (8/10)

Dead to the World - Charlaine Harris (6/10)

Vampire Beach: Bloodlust - Alex Duval (6/10)

The Tea Rose - Jennifer Donnelly (10/10)

Blood and Chocolate - Annette Klause (4/10)

The Forgotten Garden - Kate Morton (9.5/10)

Dead as a Doornail - Charlaine Harris (7/10)

Come Together - Josie Lloyd & Emlyn Rees (8/10)

The Winter Rose - Jennifer Donnelly (9/10)

A Great and Terrible Beauty - Libba Bray (5/10)

Plain Truth - Jodi Picoult (9/10)

The Rum Diary - Hunter S Thompson (8/10)

A Gathering Light - Jennifer Donnelly (8.5/10)

Deal Breaker - Harlan Coben (9/10)

Ralph's Party - Lisa Jewell (8.5/10)

The Crimson Petal and the White - Michel Faber (8/10)

Come Again - Josie Lloyd & Emlyn Rees (7.5/10)

The Secret Countess - Eva Ibbotson (4/10)

The Host - Stephenie Meyer (8.5/10)

Sleeping Arrangements - Madeleine Wickham (6/10)

The End of Mr Y - Scarlett Thomas (8.5/10)

A Certain Slant of Light - Laura Whitcomb (8/10)

The Coffin Dancer - Jeffery Deaver (9/10)

Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami (8.5/10)

Love Lives - Josie Lloyd & Emlyn Rees (7.5/10)

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson (9.5/10)

The Shadow of the Wind - Carlos Ruiz Zafon (8/10)

Ceremony in Death - JD Robb (6.5/10)

The Girl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larsson (9.5/10)

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets Nest - Stieg Larsson (9/10)

Drop Shot - Harlan Coben (8/10)

Under the Skin - Michel Faber (4/10)

The Girl in Times Square - Paullina Simons (9/10)

A Wild Sheep Chase - Haruki Murakami (4/10)

The Empty Chair - Jeffrey Deaver (7.5/10)

Tamar - Mal Peet (8/10)

Books to read

The Associate - John Grisham

The Main Chance - Colin Forbes

Blood Storm - Colin Forbes

Claudius the God - Robert Graves

Guilty Pleasures - LK Hamilton

Glass Houses - Rachel Caine

Exclusive - Sandra Brown

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

Definately Dead - Charlaine Harris

Altogether Dead - Charlaine Harris

Dark Lover - JR Ward

Lucas - Kevin Brooks

The Secret History - Donna Tartt

The Surgeon - Tess Gerritson

Stolen - Kelley Armstrong

Vengeance in Death - JD Robb

Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte

On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan

A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini

Rachel's Holiday - Marian Keyes

A Whisper of Roses - Teresa Medeiros

The Dark Part of Me - Belinda Burns

The Luxe - Anna Godbersen

Perfume - Patrick Suskind

The Memory Garden - Rachel Hore

The Collector - John Fowles

The Loop - Nicholas Evans

How I Live Now - Meg Rosoff

The House at Riverton - Kate Morton

The Seven Year Itch - Josie Lloyd & Emlyn Rees

The Boy Next Door - Josie Lloyd & Emlyn Rees

One-hit Wonder - Lisa Jewell

Books to buy

The Luminous Life of Lilly Aphrodite - Beatrice Colin

The Outcast - Sadie Jones

The Given Day - Dennis Lehane

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson

The Apple - Michel Faber

The Madonna of the Almonds - Marina Fiorato

The Great Gatsby - F Scott Fitzgerald

One Day - David Nicholls

The Confessions of Max Tivoli - Andrew Sean Greer

Tully - Paullina Simons

Eleven Hours - Paullina Simons

Red Leaves - Paullina Simons

Edited by DanC_84

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Books read in 2009

Twilight - Stephenie Meyer

New Moon - Stephenie Meyer

Eclipse - Stephenie Meyer

Breaking Dawn - Stephenie Meyer

Naughts & Crosses - Malorie Blackman

Books to read

Knife Edge - Malorie Blackman

Checkmate - Malorie Blackman

Double Cross - Malorie Blackman

Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris

Books to buy

Bitten - Kelley Armstrong

Dark Lover - JR Ward

:giggle: All books I've either loved or am very eager to try!

I've got Bitten waiting on my TBR pile and Dead Until Dark and Dark Lover are both on my wishlist.

Happy reading!

:giggle: All books I've either loved or am very eager to try!

I've got Bitten waiting on my TBR pile and Dead Until Dark and Dark Lover are both on my wishlist.

Happy reading!

Thanks.

Bitten was recommended to me by Nessicle, it will be my next purchase from Amazon. You guys over in the UK are so lucky, the postage and handling fees I pay for books are well in excess of the cost of the actual books themselves!

I am pretty keen to try Dead Until Dark and Dark Lover as well but my first priority is definately the rest of the Naughts and Crosses series. I am patiently waiting for them to arrive.

my first priority is definately the rest of the Naughts and Crosses series. I am patiently waiting for them to arrive.

:giggle: I get so excited when people mention this book, it's my all time favourite. I really hope you enjoy the rest. I personally like the first one the most but they're all very good!

:giggle: I get so excited when people mention this book, it's my all time favourite. I really hope you enjoy the rest. I personally like the first one the most but they're all very good!

Yeah I loved the first one. My expectations were sky high as well as I had heard nothing but good things and it certainly didn't disappoint. I cursed myself for not ordering all four books together as soon as I finished it.

I am not expecting the rest of them to be as good however I am sure that I will still enjoy them. It is probably my favourite book that I have read this year to date.

I don't know if you've read them or not already, but if you like John Grisham, I'd recommend A Time To Kill, The Client, and The Brethren. The first 2 have been made into films but as is often the case, the books are far superior in my opinion.

I have always been a big Grisham fan and have read all of his books with the exception of 'The Associate' which I purchased on the weekend. I think I might hold off reading it for a while though as I have several other books that I want to read and the few reviews I have read have not been extremely favourable.

I don't know if you've read them or not already, but if you like John Grisham, I'd recommend A Time To Kill, The Client, and The Brethren. The first 2 have been made into films but as is often the case, the books are far superior in my opinion.

I agree,I've read The Client and A Time To Kill. BY far and away the books are superior. Particularly enjoyed The Client,time for a re-read I think

I just finished 'Knife Edge' by Malorie Blackman. I really enjoyed this book. As with the first one I could not put it down. Looking forward to reading 'Check Mate' which I will start next.

You're making me wanna read the series again!! I hope you enjoy Checkmate. It made me cry. All the first three did.

I just finished 'Checkmate'. An unbelievable book, my favourite of the three. Certainly the best book I have ever read. I am going to start 'Double Cross' now. Not overly sure what to expect to be honest seeing that the first three were written as a trilogy.

I just finished 'Double Cross'. I found it to be highly enjoyable, perhaps not quite as good as the first three, but still a very entertaining read.

Next I am going to read JD Robb's 'Naked in Death'.

I finished 'Naked in Death' by JD Robb earlier today.

I really enjoyed this book. It was always going to be a difficult task following the Noughts and Crosses series but this book didn't disappoint. It was a great mix of thriller/intense romance, a genre that I have recently found to enjoy a lot.

The book wasted no time getting into the suspense and had me turning the pages quickly from very early on. I found the characters to be likeable and the futuristic world in which the book was set intriguing. It has definately motivated me to place 'Glory in Death' - the second book in this series - on my 'To be Bought' list.

My rating: 8/10.

Next up for me is Charlaine Harris' 'Dead Until Dark'. I also intend purchasing my first classic novel - either 'Wuthering Heights' or 'Jane Eyre' - tomorrow, and I might start mixing in a bit of that also.

Next up for me is Charlaine Harris' 'Dead Until Dark'. I also intend purchasing my first classic novel - either 'Wuthering Heights' or 'Jane Eyre' - tomorrow, and I might start mixing in a bit of that also.

I have Dead Until Dark on my wishlist. :lol: I'll be interested to see what you think!

I am yet to buy my first classic novel too and I was also either going to go for one of the above. I was more drawn to Wuthering Heights due to the numerous recommendations but apparently Jane Eyre is a bit lighter going.

I have Dead Until Dark on my wishlist. :D I'll be interested to see what you think!

I am yet to buy my first classic novel too and I was also either going to go for one of the above. I was more drawn to Wuthering Heights due to the numerous recommendations but apparently Jane Eyre is a bit lighter going.

I will let you know. It is kind of doing my head in a little at the moment switching between YA and adult novels as the moment, so it is taking me a little while to get used to.

I don't know which of the classics to try either. It is ridiculously pathetic but I was kind of leaning towards 'Wuthering Heights' because it was in Twilight. :):lol:

I finished 'Naked in Death' by JD Robb earlier today.

I really enjoyed this book. It was always going to be a difficult task following the Noughts and Crosses series but this book didn't disappoint. It was a great mix of thriller/intense romance, a genre that I have recently found to enjoy a lot.

The book wasted no time getting into the suspense and had me turning the pages quickly from very early on. I found the characters to be likeable and the futuristic world in which the book was set intriguing. It has definately motivated me to place 'Glory in Death' - the second book in this series - on my 'To be Bought' list.

I very much enjoyed the In Death books, and read many of them in succession - they do, however, reach a point where they become quite repetitive, and a little annoying! :lol:

Bee, unfortunately not. I don't know what it was about that series. The whole time I was reading them I was thinking "these really aren't that good", then I would look over at my alarm clock and it was 4 am and I had been reading it for 10 hours straight!

Michelle, I thought that might have to be the case. I mean, there is just so many of them. It is still fresh for me though so I think I should enjoy them for at least a while yet.

I sinned today. I went to Borders and purchased four books that were on my 'Books to buy' list:

- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

- The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

- Testimony by Anita Shreve

I also ordered 'Glory in Death' from Amazon. I will have to hide this from my girlfriend. Whilst she has been making a conscious effort to curb her expenditure on clothes/bags/shoes/hair to save for our apartment, I have not demonstrated the same level of restraint. :D