Dan's lists 2009

DanC_84

I've been busy entertaining guests recently, so now that they're all gone, I came to see how you were getting on with the Faber book. I'm glad to see you finished it and thought it was intriguing.. I'm keeping it on my list, unless you think that's a mistake?

As always, thanks for the review :D

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been busy entertaining guests recently, so now that they're all gone, I came to see how you were getting on with the Faber book. I'm glad to see you finished it and thought it was intriguing.. I'm keeping it on my list, unless you think that's a mistake?

As always, thanks for the review :D

I'd definately keep it on the list Beth, it is good, just be prepared for a bit of a long haul!

Ohh Dan I liked The Host. Dare I say more than the Twilight novels? :D Let me know what you think.

Edit - On another note you've finished 42 books which is 4 more than me?! You've asked for it now Dan. :D

Ohh Dan I liked The Host. Dare I say more than the Twilight novels? :D Let me know what you think.

Edit - On another note you've finished 42 books which is 4 more than me?! You've asked for it now Dan. :D

Haha, wow, I had no idea I had read that many. Crazy.

What you think about Man U signing Micky Owen Ben?

Well, as I tend to try have a reasoning for everything, I'm going to offer you my theory on the situation instead of slagging him off before he's even started - like most people are.

Okay, so this is how I see it. Personally I think it is a bit of shrewd bit of business by Alex Ferguson and I think Owen will repay him with goals. If you think about it, we signed him for free, so for a start all we are doing is gaining? Owen has proved himself more than enough times, scoring countless goals for England and proving he can create the chances and put them away. When you look at the amount of chances we create, why can't he hit 15-20 goals in? It's a better suggestion than spending millions on some so called superstar who doesn't shine. (Berbatov) So then comes the question of his fitness? Well, where better than to get 100% fit, than at our fitness facilitates? With all the assistance he will receive, he's bound to get great treatment to get him on track. He's now got a platform to re-build his career, with a bad spell at Newcastle he could never show what he's worth. It makes a lot of sense, really. There would be no point in splashing out big money on a player Sir Alex Ferguson didn

Yeah I think its a good signing. Barring injury he has always produced goals and it is low-cost so the risk is very low. Even if he fails badly they don't lose much out of it. I think he will probably do pretty well.

We'll see when the season comes around, would love to see some of the critics eat their words.

Haha, for sure.

It is coming round again isn't it? I'm going to have to pick my new EPL team now, I'm really struggling.

I'll give you a hand if you want? I always pick one every year then forget about it. Maybe I should do one for a full season this time?

I'll give you a hand if you want? I always pick one every year then forget about it. Maybe I should do one for a full season this time?

Haha, I think you misunderstood me. I mean a new team to support.

I finished 'The Host'. I really enjoyed the book, I rated it 8.5/10.

I was surprised I enjoyed it so much to be honest. Firstly, I don't like Science Fiction stories and I really don't like alien invasion-type plots, so I had low expectations going in. Also, people had advised me that the book had a pretty slow start and was a little tough to get into for a while.

I was pleasantly surprised on both counts. The start didn't seem slow to me at all. I had no problems getting into the book and found both the story and the characters pretty engaging right from the get-go. I also enjoyed the overall concept more than I thought I would. I really liked Meyer's twist on the whole alien invasion storyline.

I have criticised the writing style of Meyer in the Twilight series in the past, but I actually felt it was much better in this book. Perhaps it is because it may be aimed at a little bit of an older audience. Apparently there are going to be sequels to this book, so I look forward to reading them.

Next up for me is 'Sleeping Arrangements' by Madeleine Wickham.

Glad you enjoyed The Host. ;) I thought it was pretty good too. There's apparently going to be two more in the series.

Yeah? I'll definately read them. I preferred it to all the Twilight books, with the exception of the first one of course.

Glad to hear you enjoyed The Host! I'm really struggling with it and seem to be avoiding reading it but I'm going to keep trying as I'm not very far in yet, maybe only 80 pages or so ;)

I would stick with it for a while, hopefully you will start to get into it a bit more soon!

Finished 'Sleeping Arrangements' over the weekend. It was so-so.

Starting 'The End of Mr.Y" by Scarlett Thomas next, which I am excited about given the reviews I have read for it on here.

I see you finished "Sleeping Arrangements" ;) If you didn't love it, you probably wouldn't fall in love with any of her others.. They're mostly all about the same and don't vary TOO widely. Hey, at least now ya know! :D

Hope you're doing well!

I see you finished "Sleeping Arrangements" ;) If you didn't love it, you probably wouldn't fall in love with any of her others.. They're mostly all about the same and don't vary TOO widely. Hey, at least now ya know! :D

Hope you're doing well!

Thanks Beth. It is a difficult one for me, I enjoyed the style and the way it was written and even the story up to a certain extent, I just don't think I really liked the way it all panned out in the end.

I finished 'The End of Mr Y' over the weekend. Crazy book. It really makes you think about a lot of things, how they came to be, how they actually are, etc. I think it might have helped a little more if I had a stronger science base to work from, but I'm pretty sure I got the gist of the main concepts. Overall I found it to be a really cool book, I rated it 8.5/10.

Aside from all the science stuff I actually found the main character to be pretty cool. I really enjoyed her constantly brutal assessments of herself and her life, I think it helped the novel as you start to really get behind her plight. I think I will re-read the book again at some point in the not too distant future, as I think I may be able to understand the scientific concepts a little better the second time through.

Next up for me is 'A Certain Slant of Light' by Laura Whitcomb.

Aside from all the science stuff I actually found the main character to be pretty cool. I really enjoyed her constantly brutal assessments of herself and her life, I think it helped the novel as you start to really get behind her plight. I think I will re-read the book again at some point in the not too distant future, as I think I may be able to understand the scientific concepts a little better the second time through.
It's wonderful how different we all are... :D! I gave up on this because though I loved the sciency and metaphysical bits I did not sympathise with the main character at all and found her way of expressing herself about certain events far too brutal for my liking - which was a shame, because I really would have liked to know what all those lofty ideas where building up to :D!