• Historical Fiction
    • Classics
    • Non-Fiction
    • Young Adult

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Previously, I would have said science fiction without thinking about it, but looking at my reading list for last year I can see that I've been reading quite a lot of contemporary fiction recently as well.

This isn't a comment on the poll choices, but it really annoys me that science fiction, fantasy and horror keep getting lumped together as they are completely separate genres to my mind.

Beth, I love Chick-lit, but it's not my 1st choice. It's something I do enjoy, but my OH takes the wee out of me when I read it, so I usually don't bother (He reads only historical fiction, the classics - Plato, Socrates, Tacitus, that kind of thing)

This isn't a comment on the poll choices, but it really annoys me that science fiction, fantasy and horror keep getting lumped together as they are completely separate genres to my mind.

I think she used the forum categories here for the poll. In our defense, we weren't saying that they were the same, but rather trying to group a few things together so we weren't over run with categories.

I guess I'm a non-fiction reader mainly but I am finding time for more fiction lately. I like my stories to be believeable, perhaps even true, with adventure, suspence, and yes romance (not just exclusive to chicks you know):D.

Aww... I'm the only chick-lit voter as of now.. Am I all alone??? :D

Nope! I've joined you in the chick-lit category :D

I've also picked Contemporary fiction, Classics and Young Adult (even though I'm not one!), although I will read anything that my book group chose, which often results in a crime book but I rarely enjoy them.

I think she used the forum categories here for the poll. In our defense, we weren't saying that they were the same, but rather trying to group a few things together so we weren't over run with categories.

Yeah that is exactly what I did, I do realise they are different, but did it just to make it a bit simpler and not confuse people with too many options :D

You did right, it would get far too confusing with all the different categories. And if it's a big problem then you can just post here that although you voted for that option, you don't like all them genres, just one in particular. If you get me. :D

You did right, it would get far too confusing with all the different categories. And if it's a big problem then you can just post here that although you voted for that option, you don't like all them genres, just one in particular. If you get me. :D

Yeah exactly Ben :D

Beth, I love Chick-lit, but it's not my 1st choice. It's something I do enjoy, but my OH takes the wee out of me when I read it, so I usually don't bother (He reads only historical fiction, the classics - Plato, Socrates, Tacitus, that kind of thing)

hahha.. not much fun to be made fun of by the Plato-reading OH, huh? :):lol:

Nope! I've joined you in the chick-lit category :D

I've also picked Contemporary fiction, Classics and Young Adult (even though I'm not one!), although I will read anything that my book group chose, which often results in a crime book but I rarely enjoy them.

And yeeey, chesil! I feel so loved again. :lol:

Yeah that is exactly what I did, I do realise they are different, but did it just to make it a bit simpler and not confuse people with too many options :lol:

As I said, it wasn't a comment on the poll - I'd worked out why the choices are as they are - I was just making a general comment!

As I said, it wasn't a comment on the poll - I'd worked out why the choices are as they are - I was just making a general comment!

Yup I agree with your general comment really - nothing to do with the board, those genres DO get lumped together and they're totally different! you can have a fiction but non-fantasy horror, or a non-fiction horror, a non-fantasy sci-fi, a non sci-fi fantasy, and either of those with or without horror.

I personally love horror, really enjoy fantasy and like touching a little on sci-fi, but not as much. I did vote for that category though, as I do like a bit from each.

I voted for Horror/Supernatural/Fantasy/Sci-Fi because I have enjoyed them the most so far, but I'm very open minded with books - I like reading crime/thriller, horror, fantasy, historical fiction, contempory fiction, classics and young adult and non-fiction. Least fave is chick lit.

Edited by Maureen
Punctuation

They are absolutely separate you are right. Although in this case I was glad they were lumped together, because I like Sci fi, horror and supernatural the best, so it made choosing a lot easier :)