Sarah 1979 reading log 2009

sarah1979

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just read Alice's adventures in Wonderland. Found it OK but its not the same when you are grown up. I thought it was clever the way it played with words but in some places i just wanted to get through the chapter! Its not one of my favourite children classics book but maybe it was the mood i was in when i read it! Has anyone else read it?

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Pride and Prejudice. I wanted to enjoy it and it wasn't that bad i just think it was rather slow. I think that after reading it after Jane Eyre and loving that so much the dialogue between the Mr Darcy and Elizabeth wasnt really there for me. It was still enjoyable and maybe it was me not being in the mood to read another heavy read.

Just finished reading The Quickie by James Patterson and have to say that i loved it! It was fast paced full of twists and kept me guessing until the end. A very fast read and very enjoyable.

Going to start reading seven Sunny DAYS BY Chris Manby next!

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished reading Seven Sunny Days by Chris Manby. It took me a while to get into this book as it kept going back to individual lives but in the end it really works and i suppose it needed all of that eary on to get to really know the characters. Its not as happy a story as i anticipated but that is what gave the book more depth. I would recommend this story as it is a fun read and i was sorry i have finished it.

Just finished Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella and have to say it was brilliant! Really liked the characters and could relate to them and Emma the main character was so true to life and had me thinking thats what i would think! The character of Jack was well written and welcome. Didnt want the book to end. Although chick lit can be predictable, when it has a good story and is well written like this one is it can get away with it. A good, easy enjoyable read.

Sounds like we have similar tastes in reading..

I also really like James Patterson's thrillers, love Sophie Kinsella's books, recently read and enjoyed Jane Eyre, and have my eye on The Eyre Affair.. Glad to see you've been enjoying some good books! Let me know if you give The Eyre Affair a go; I can't locate it here yet, but am going to keep looking and hopefully find it soon! Would love to hear your thoughts if you start it. :lol:

Oh yes I loved The Eyre Affair! I'm not a big fan of the shopoholic books but they're entertaining enough, just not my favourite chick-lit. I prefered some of the other Sophie Kinsella books I've read

Just finished reading The Chase by Dean Koontz. It was an interesting enough read but felt i wasn't gripped by it was slightly slow in places. It ends very quickly but is clever in places. I don't think it compares to the James Herbert Crime books i have read i think i prefer Dean Koontz super natural material. It wasn't a terrible book and glad i have read it and only 212 pages long i can't complain!

• 2 weeks later...

Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman- After putting it off for ages i finally got around to reading The Northern Lights. It was a good read, not as good as i expected but enjoyable all the same. Im reading The Subtle Knife now and feel im enjoying that more.

• 4 weeks later...

Well i have just completed the Dark Materials trilogy and for some reason i found myself struggling to finish it. I dont feel the story held my interest but i was dertermined not to give up on it as i hate not finishing a book! What are other people's thoughts on this trilogy?

• 1 month later...
Well i have just completed the Dark Materials trilogy and for some reason i found myself struggling to finish it. I dont feel the story held my interest but i was dertermined not to give up on it as i hate not finishing a book! What are other people's thoughts on this trilogy?

I really enjoyed His Dark Materials, keeping me hooked in all the way through. I loved the language and the depth of characterisation, also enjoying the religious comment running throughout the trilogy. Nothing seemed to be black and white. And The Subtle Knife made me cry! Like a baby! Like a big, weeping baby! Pathetic, really...:D

I liked the friendship that developed between Lyra and Will. The language and the settings were good, and i liked the adventure, i think the problem was a friend of mine loved the books and because i didnt enjoy them as much as i thought i was a bit disappointed. It was a clever plot though.

I get that feeling sometimes, too. My friend Maz lent me Dirt Music by Tim Winton and was adamant that I'd love it.

I hated it.

Just couldn't get into it at all. I get really annoyed with myself when I don't like something a friend recommends, because I feel I'm letting them down somehow. How bizarre is that???

Hope you're very well. :D

i see that you are reading the memory keepers daughter, i have that on my TBR list and just wondered what it was like?

Its true having high expectations, they never live up and you do feel that you should love them to when they are recommended