Sarah 1979 reading log 2009

sarah1979

January

A place called here by Ceceilia Ahern- 6/10 started reading in the middle of December

Ready or not by Chris Manby-9/10

Second Prize by Chris Manby- 9/10

The Husband by Dean Koontz- 8/10

February

Deep Heat by Chris Manby finished 5-2-09, 8/10

A thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini 10-2-09

Jane Eyre started reading 10-2-09

March

Jane Eyre finished reading 5-3-09 10/10

Alice's adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll 8/10

Alice through the looking glass by CS Lewis finished reading 21-03-09 8/10

Edited by sarah1979
finished reading deep heat

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A place called here- This was an ok book with a lot of potential but it was never great. I was slightly disappointed with it as after reading her other books i enjoyed them. This book focused to much on the things that were lost and i felt that the story did not develop enough for my liking. There was no other real interest in it. It had nice parts and it did make you think aswell but i have to say that i found it to be one of Cecelia Ahern's poorer novels.

Have you read the book? What did you think of it?

April

Pride and prejudice finished 2-04-09 9/10

The Quickie by James Patterson 10/10

Seven Sunny Days by Chris Manby finished 12-04-09 9/10

Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella finished 16-04-09 10/10

Chase by Dean Koontz finished 19-04-09 7/10

May

Northern Lights by Phillip Pullman finished 1-05-09 9/10

The Subtle Knife by Phillip Pulman 8/10

The Amber Spyglass by Phillip Pullman finished 1-6-09 8/10

June

Girl meets Ape by Chris Manby 8/10

Cradle and all by James Patterson 9/10

Celeste by V.C Andrews 9/10

July

Edited by sarah1979

June

July

Black Cat by Virginia Andrews finished 20-07-09 9/10

August

Child of Darkness by Virginia Andrews, 8/10

Sail by James Patterson, 8/10

September

The other side of the story by Mariam Keyes 10/10

The magicians nephew by CS Lewis 8/10

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by CS Lewis 8/10

The horse and his boy by CS Lewis 9/10

Accident by Danielle Steele 10/10

Prince Caspian by CS Lewis 8/10

ABC Murders by Agatha Christie 9/10

October

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by CS Lewis 9/10

The Silver Chair by C/S Lewis 10/10

Last Battle by C/S Lewis 9/10

Last Chance Saloon by Mariam Keyes 10/10

31 Dream Street by Lisa Jewell 10/10

Angels by Mariam Keyes 9/10

November

Haunting by James Herbert 9/10

Holly's Inbox, Scandal in the City 9/10

thank you for the Memories by Cecelia Aherne 8/10

The Magic Cottage by James Herbert 9/10

December

Edited by sarah1979
v

The husband- A great thriller by Dean Koontz. A race against time to save his wife this story takes you on a journey and it has twists to keep you guessing. I like the way each chapter leaves you wanting to find out what happens next as they kind of leave you on a cliff hanger. My only negative is the ending, compared to the rest of the book i felt the ending was rushed and predictable with not many twists in it. Overall though i found it an enjoyable read.

Ssecond Prize by Chris Manby- Aat first i was not keen on this book, but the more i got in to it the harder it was to put down! It has quite a lot of different occasions going on in this book to keep you interested so it is not just based in one place. The main love interest for Lara is your worst nightmare and you really want Lara to see sense. I loved the ending because although predictable, it ended how i wanted it to! A fun holiday read or a read when you want some light relief.

Ready or not by Chris Manby- Again an enjoyable read. Unlike Second Prize i was able to get into this book straight away. Its fun and does not take itself to seriously. It had funny moments and some which made you think like certain milestones you reach in your life. Heidi was a likeable character who i could relate to and i was sad when it ended because i enjoyed it that much. Again it had the ending that i wanted!

Deep Heat by Chris Manby. I found this an enjoyable and easy read, something to brighten up a miserable month! Ali seems to have the worst luck ever in love, she has a good friend called Emma who i could relate to and it takes you to a lovely location on holiday. It's just a pity that the holiday scene did not last longer. Everyone gets their just deserves in the end!

On page 50 of A Thousand Splendid Suns. So far so good. its an interesting read so far. Very sad in places and i already feel sorry for Mariam. Has anyone else read this book and what did you think?

Starting to think what i want to read next! Think it may be Jane Eyre! Any thoughts on this book?

Thousand splendid suns- What a moving story. Full of hope, friendship and sticking together in very tough times. It really opened my eyes to the way people have to live in other parts of the world and it is frightening. I was moved to tears in parts which is unusual for me but you really get a feel and understanding for the characters, especially Mariam and Laila. What a lovely bond they had. The ending is very sad but there is also hope and new life. Would definatley recommend.

Thousand splendid suns- What a moving story. Full of hope, friendship and sticking together in very tough times. It really opened my eyes to the way people have to live in other parts of the world and it is frightening. I was moved to tears in parts which is unusual for me but you really get a feel and understanding for the characters, especially Mariam and Laila. What a lovely bond they had. The ending is very sad but there is also hope and new life. Would definatley recommend.

Oh I'm glad you recommend as I have this sitting on my shelf :blush:

A place called here was a strange book to say the least!:blush: It just seemed to stay on one level throughout the book. I have also got to read "thank you for the memories" and "the gift" by Ceceilia Ahern and now cant seem to bring myself to read them!:)

Yes i also have The Gift to read,but i seem to just keep putting it off,it was a present for christmas.. I am not a fan of Cecilia Ahern's at all (Think ive said that before!):blush:

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished reading Jane Eyre. WOW! What a story, i have to say that it is probably the best book that i have ever read. The chemistry between the two lead characters is electrifying. I could really feel for the characters and wanted so much for Jane and Mr Rochester to get together. If it is possible to fall in love with a book character then i would choose Mr Rochester anyday! He is so passionate towards Jane and the language between them is brilliant and so descriptive and emotive. They truly are made for each other. I would recommend this book to anyone.

I agree about the dialogue, i was really sad to finish this book as i just wanted it to carry on and see what happens next. I also dont know what to read next as nothing else comes close, i may try Pride and Prejudice though has anyone read this one?

I'm sure others have mentioned it before, but if you love Jane Eyre, you should try The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde. It's a funny twist on a detective/crime novel, and everyone I know who's read it has loved it. There's a thread on it here with a bit more info, and a few other reviews. I absolutely loved it, and if you know Jane Eyre, it increases the enjoyment.