• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

512t2MI-I3L_SL500_.jpg

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban by J.K. Rowling

No. of pages: 317

Rating: 4.5/5

Synopsis: The escape of Sirius Black--one time friend of Harry's parents, implicated in their murder and follower of "You- Know-Who"--from Azkaban, has serious implications for Harry for it would appear that Black is bent on revenge against Harry for thwarting "You-Know-Who". Back at Hogwarts, Harry's movements are restricted by the presence of the Dementors--guards from Azkaban on the look out for Black--however, this doesn't stop him throwing himself into the new Quidditch season and going about his normal business--or at least attempting to. Despite warnings Harry is determined to get to the bottom of the mystery surrounding Sirius Black--how could this one-time close friend of his parents become the cause of their deaths?

Review: This is the third book in the series, and starts to pick up in pace and bring in events that lead into the future books. The style of writing is very easy to get into whether you're a child or an adult, and that's why this series has such wide spread appeal, to people of all ages and nationalities. I loved how this book didn't have Voldemort as the main "bad guy", but was still gripping and dark. Rowling does a great job of describing the Dementors, and how they affect people, in particularly Harry, and you can clearly imagine how awful it would be to be locked up in Azkaban with them surrounding you. Professor Lupin, the new Defense Against the Dark-Arts teacher, is introduced in this book and it's enjoyable to read about him and his lessons, the boggart one in particular. And of course, we can't forget the escaped convict Sirius Black, who is out to kill Harry for thwarting Voldemort as a child. The Sirius Black storyline is my favourite so far in the series, it keeps you guessing all through the book, and then surprises you at the end.

I've given this a 4.5/5 as it's a fantastic book and the series is definitely getting better, but it hasn't peaked yet, there's still so much more to look forward to and enjoy reading in this series. I would definitely recommend this, to both adults and children who will enjoy the antics of Harry, Ron and Hermione at Hogwarts. It's something fun and easy to read, but is still incredibly enjoyable!

41C4KPQ7T3L_SL500_.jpg

Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire by J.K. Rowling

No. of pages: 636

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis: Once returned to Hogwarts after his summer holiday with the dreadful Dursleys and an extraordinary outing to the Quidditch World Cup, the 14-year-old Harry and his fellow pupils are enraptured by the promise of the Triwizard Tournament: an ancient, ritualistic tournament that brings Hogwarts together with two other schools of wizardry--Durmstrang and Beauxbatons--in heated competition. But when Harry's name is pulled from the Goblet of Fire, and he is chosen to champion Hogwarts in the tournament, the trouble really begins. Still reeling from the effects of a terrifying nightmare that has left him shaken, and with the lightning-shaped scar on his head throbbing with pain (a sure sign that the evil Voldemort, Harry's sworn enemy, is close), Harry becomes at once the most popular boy in school. Yet, despite his fame, he is totally unprepared for the furore that follows.

Review: Filled with action from the beginning, this is a fantastic book that will keep you gripped from the outset. The two main plot points of the story are the Quidditch World Cup and the Triwizard Tournament, which are both darker than previous storylines. Rowling has also written this book in a more mature manner, which I think could be a bad thing for the younger readers, who may not understand some of the words. The length could also be a problem, as it's over double the size of Prisoner of Azkaban. But the story does keep flowing very well, and you're not always aware of the size of the book, and it certainly never drags enough for you to think of it. Mad-Eye Moody is a great addition and provides a lot of entertainment during the story. You're very aware during this book that Harry, Ron and Hermione are growing up and leaning towards adulthood, although there is still the magical atmosphere that is present in the first three books. This is most definitely the best book in the series so far, each book keeps getting better and continues to draws you more and more into the world of magic and Hogwarts.

Kelly, thanks so much for your review of Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. I just bought this book today for $13 because I had to read the book before I saw the movie, but after reading your review I realized it probably wasn't worth it. Now I can save money by returning the book and just look for the DVD at the library.

Thanks again. =)

Kelly, thanks so much for your review of Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. I just bought this book today for $13 because I had to read the book before I saw the movie, but after reading your review I realized it probably wasn't worth it. Now I can save money by returning the book and just look for the DVD at the library.

Thanks again. =)

Yay, I'm glad it helped! :D

The goblet of fire has always been a favourite of mine. :D And you should easily reach that if you keep up this pace.

I hope so :D It's just an excuse to keep buying more books! :lol:

Yeah :D I'm quite pleased with how I'm going, I was aiming for 100 books this year, I think I might try for 150 if I keep on like this though :lol:

I don't think you'll have a problem if you keep going at this rate! How many this year so far?

4116YXK81FL_SL500_.jpg

Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

No. of pages: 766

Rating: 3.5/5

Synopsis: Over the summer, gossip has turned Harry's tragic and heroic encounter with Voldemort at the Triwizard Tournament into an excuse to ridicule and discount the teenager. Even Professor Dumbledore, headmaster of the school, has come under scrutiny from the Ministry of Magic, which refuses to officially acknowledge the terrifying truth: that Voldemort is back. Enter a particularly loathsome new character: the toad-like and simpering Dolores Umbridge, senior undersecretary to the minister of Magic, who takes over the vacant position of defence against dark arts teacher--and in no time manages to become the high inquisitor of Hogwarts. Life isn't getting any easier for Harry Potter. With an overwhelming course load as the fifth years prepare for their examinations, devastating changes in the Gryffindor Quidditch team line-up, vivid dreams about long hallways and closed doors, and increasing pain in his lightning-shaped scar, Harry's resilience is sorely tested.

Review: I think this has now become my least favourite of the series. It dragged on for what seemed forever, and it was only in the last 125 pages that the book became more engaging. I think Rowling could have cut out most of the long Umbridge passages and the book wouldn't have lost anything at all. I also disliked how Harry suddenly changed so much between the end of Goblet of Fire, and the beginning of this book, and I just found all the angry shouting quite annoying. I also hated the big twist at the ending, and wish that hadn't happened. I did enjoy some things about this book though, like Fred and George, the battles and Dumbledore's revelation at the end of the book. I just can't help but think there was no need for this book to be so long, and I think that would be a negative for a lot of readers.