Kelly's Reading '09

lexiepiper

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats coz she did it all tonight, and no ones commented! :roll:

Well I was waiting til she'd finished so as not to spoil her display! :(

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the Kelly Armstrong books. I bought Bitten on Saturday so its next after The Picture of Dorian Gray :(

41sZGe7TCqL_SL500_.jpg

The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

No. of pages: 221

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis: The Notebook, a Southern-fried story of love-lost-and-found-again, revolves around a single time-honored romantic dilemma: will beautiful Allie Nelson stay with Mr. Respectability (to whom she happens to be engaged), or will she hook up with Noah, the romantic rascal she left so many years ago? Decades later, after Allie develops Alzheimer's, her beau uses "the notebook" to read her the story of the great love she can't remember.

Review: I wanted to read this, like many people, after I saw the rather popular film, and I doubted the book could live up to how lovely the film was. I was wrong! The book is beautiful, both the style in which it's written and the story itself. I was so glad to see that very little had been changed in transition from book to film, and that in itself is pretty rare! Both Allie and Noah are incredibly loveable characters, and I'm so glad that Allie makes the choice she does, although it is pretty predictable that she will. I will definitely be buying more books by this author in the future!

TBR List:

Wendy Holden - Pastures Nouveaux

Do you have this one already? 'Cause I have a vague memory of having this still lying around somewhere, so if I haven't given it to anyone yet, I'd be happy to send you my copy! (I'm trying to clear out some of my books.)

Do you have this one already? 'Cause I have a vague memory of having this still lying around somewhere, so if I haven't given it to anyone yet, I'd be happy to send you my copy! (I'm trying to clear out some of my books.)

Awh, that's really kind :(

That is very kind of you! :( But yes I do have it already, I've had it for about 4 years and not got around to reading it, so I must do it this year!

954131.jpg

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

No. of pages: 230

Synopsis: Since the beginning of the school year, high school freshman Melinda has found that it's been getting harder and harder for her to speak out loud. What could have caused Melinda to suddenly fall mute? Could it be due to the fact that no one at school is speaking to her because she called the cops and got everyone busted at the seniors' big end-of-summer party? Or maybe it's because her parents' only form of communication is Post-It notes written on their way out the door to their nine-to-whenever jobs. While Melinda is bothered by these things, deep down she knows the real reason why she's been struck mute...

Review: I've read this book several times after first picking it up at the library when I was 15. I like it as much now as I did then, and I still find it as moving. You go through the book following Melinda as she starts a new year at school, something traumatic has happened to her but that's not even referred to until half way through the book, and not revealed until the end. All you really know is that all of the students in her school think she's really weird, and some of them seem to hate her. It's really a book about being an outcase teenager, how hard it is, especially when you're trying to cope with so much. It's very easy to read, and written in a casual style. I'd recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading Young Adult books, and I'd also recommend the film as that's equally as good.

I think I'll add this on my TBR list :(

51ayrLj4L1L_SL500_.jpg

No Time For Goodbye by Linwood Barclay

No. of pages: 437

Rating: 3/5

Synopsis: The house was deathly quiet. That was the first sign that something was terribly wrong. Fourteen-year-old Cynthia Bigge woke that morning to find herself alone. Her family—mother, father, and brother—had vanished without a word, without a note, without a trace. Twenty-five years later, Cynthia is still looking for answers. Now she is about to learn the devastating truth.

Review: I feel quite torn about this book, the plot in itself was a great idea, but as much as I wanted to like it, I felt that the first half of the book dragged. The ending was great, action packed and thrilling like promised, a tad predictable in parts, but there were a few things that I didn't see coming that were played out very well. As for characters, my favourite was Terry, I thought he was well developed and he wasn't perfect, which makes him all the more believable. The reason I've given this a 3/5 is because I think the book is just okay, and not great or amazing. I think it's worth a read, but it's one of those books that once read, it's never picked up again, at least for me.

I rather like Vince Fleming's character, who turned out to be one of the good guys, even though he's a criminal normally and was insinuated to be the killer. I felt Enid was the typical bad guy, evil with no explanation or reason to be, and that felt way to easy. The biggest shock to me was Rolly though! Never saw that one coming at all, and to think I liked him and thought he was one of the good guys.

Nice review :lol: I am sitting here thinking who is Rolly? then lightbulb above the head, I now know :blush:

I liked it a lot but I did wonder about Enid, she was a sort of evil genuis when there was no point, if that makes sense? :17:

Yeah completely, I wasn't sure why she was like that, when there was no reason to be!

I just felt like, okay her husband has married another woman and started a life, true it hurt but a bit harsh murdering them but again, there would have been no book if that not happened :blush:

I just felt like, okay her husband has married another woman and started a life, true it hurt but a bit harsh murdering them but again, there would have been no book if that not happened :lol:

Yeah that's true, I just really don't understand how a tiny woman managed to kill both the mum and brother, I mean sure the mum would have been easy, but the boy surely saw his mother drop, or a loud gasp, or something! because she would not have died instantly :blush:

806126.jpg

Hannah's Gift: Lessons From A Life Fully Lived by Maria Housden

No. of pages: 222

Synopsis: During the last year of her short life, Maria Housden's three year old daughter Hannah was fearless in the way she faced death - and irrepressibly joyful in the way she approached living. The little girl who wore her favourite red shoes into the operating theatre changed the life of everyone who came in contact with her. In a lyrically told narrative, both moving and unforgettable, Housden recounts Hannah's battle with cancer and from her story emerge five profound lessons - truth, joy, faith, compassion and wonder - that have the power to change our lives.

Review: There's nothing more I can say about this other than it's devestating and heartbreaking. Imagine having to watch your three year old daughter slowly fading away, and knowing you can do nothing to save her, and that's what this book is about. It's not a fluid story, but rather, snatches of moments and memories that particularly stand out in Maria Housden's mind, from the day she found out Hannah had leukemia, through Hannah's last year of life, and out the other side of her death, and how the family coped with her passing. It will make you cry, it will touch you and it will make you appreciate what you have. There was a lot about God and religion in this book, which I don't personally share the views of, but I could appreciate how it helped the family, and even Hannah, through what is an unimaginable situation. This is definitely a book I would recommend, but be aware that it is pretty much completely about death, if that's a bit of a sensitive subject for you at the moment.

Wow.. "Hannah's Gift" sounds REALLY moving. I'm almost scared to read this book, as I will probably cry my eyes out. But I bet I could take away a LOT from it....

I'll have to mull it over and decide. :D Great review.. Thanks for sharing, Lexie!