Has reading helped you through Illness?

Reading helped me during my Ma's illness, it kept my mind busy, which it helped alot :blush:

Yup me too Paula, it took my mind off it, even if only for a short while.

Maybe not illness as such but a couple of books did help me through bereavement.

Me too Diane, I found great great comfort in Angels Watching over us ~ Jacky Newcomb when mum died as I just couldn't read any fiction at all at the time.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading has got me through pretty much everything that life has thrown at me.

I 've not suffered any serious illness as such, but reading was my constant companion

through two miscarriages, many heartbreaks (and ego bruisings), periods of loneliness

and various other points of crisis.

I think that is part of the reason why I am partial to crime novels - in my own turmoil

I seek resolution, most crime stories have that built-in!

I think that is part of the reason why I am partial to crime novels - in my own turmoil I seek resolution, most crime stories have that built-in!

I think that's wonderfully put! Elaborating on it a bit, could it be that we're turning to books, where things make sense and are brought to a conclusion in order to experience, even if in second-hand, order and uncertainty? A fact that doesn't only hold for crime stories, albeit it's probably most clearly exhibited there. I mean the pattern can be simplified as problem (murder) - struggle - solution (catching the bad guy).

For me personally the reason why I love sports so much is that for a few hours you're sucked, and can escape, into this emotional roller-coaster where you don't know what's going to happen. You can end up being happy, sad, disappointed, satisfied, bored, excited... and in the end, it's not about real life, it's just sports. You get to go through all sorts of emotions, to experience and live, in a safe environment isolated from your real life. It's the same with books or movies.

I think that is part of the reason why I am partial to crime novels - in my own turmoil. I seek resolution, most crime stories have that built-in!

I agree. We are escaping to another world for a while. The last thing we want is to escape to a more chaotic life. Something that has the excitment of life but the answers and solutions to go with it.

You get to go through all sorts of emotions, to experience and live, in a safe environment isolated from your real life. It's the same with books or movies.

Definitely! I'm not into sports at all but reading and movies definitely act that way for me... I've never been seriously ill but I have a far too quiet life for various not so well defined reasons and I tend to be very very calm and quiet... whereas inside, when alone I'm often boiling with emotions. I'm sure books enable me to 'live through them' in a way.

I was diagnosed with diabetes at 15 and was put into an adult ward with some old men who were suffering some pretty traumatic stuff. I had quite a sheltered childhood, and had never spent any lengthy periods of time away from home, so it wasn't pleasant. My mother bought me Stephen King's 'It' to pass the time and it worked wonders!

Certainly for me, reading helped in the aftermath after Dad passed away and at still less than 4 months later, continues to do so. Also when I have been signed off sick with my back, the reading and cross-stitch have been the main things to get me through it

Reading helped relieve some stress with my teenage angst. The family was going through some rough times then. I have had one period of my life that I couldn't read due to stress ect and my concentration was bad but general I read when happy, sad, bored, excited and maybe angry. I've even read whilst having migraine headaches since the family did not make allowances for sitting or lying in a darkened quiet room. They only gave you space if they saw that you were reading so I squinted and read whilst my head was throbbing in pain but I got some quiet. It got so that I couldn't hear if my siblings shouted at me when I was reading. I'd only pay attention without a book before me.

As the forum gains momentum I have found that by reading this thread that forum members have really opened up and used the thread as an place where they can outpour those feelings that have been hidden within the mind finding nowhere to let them go.

I hope you all agree there have been some moving stories amongst the forum members, almost enough to produce a small book on the subject.

I have mixed feelings about starting this thread, Have I encouraged people to tell us their stories that they found hard to tell ? or have I given people a thread where they feel happy to release their personal triumphs through reading?

I'm very easy going. I have nothing to hide, but I don't go spouting my woes either coz people who do that are just plain annoying. If people ask, I tell.

The only thing I don't 'open up' are the links between me and the people who want to know me emotionally, rather than just as an objective life story. Books can't fix that - the human race not sucking is about all that can fix that.

I will be the one to admit to bringing books to sporting events, though! My husband loooves sports and I'm just not a big fan, so I bring my book along and we both win. :)

When I was young my family had season tickets to the rugby league. I hated footy so I brought a book along to every game and buried my head in it while everyone around me screamed and cheered. When we scored my Mum would haul me to my feet and I'd politely clap for a minute before returning to my book. Ah, those were the days! :blush:

Hmm, you'd think with a past like that I'd be able to concentrate on books in a noisy environment these days, but I seem to have lost that ability. :D

I have Interstitial Cystitis that developed in 2004. Sadly it's not something that can be cured, and so now it's just fingers crossed that something can be found that at least eases it a little. So in answer to your question, yes, I couldn't not have coped with the last 4 1/2 years without reading and music. Due to having this, I'm in constant pain, so find it hard to leave the house and do "normal" things, and so reading and listening to music is my comfort. I suffer from pretty bad depression at times too, and find I read even more during these periods, I need to immerse myself in something else to cope kind of thing.

I struggle a lot with depression and at the moment i'm going through a bad patch. I have ll sorts of things that i use to try to escape life, as i find them easyier to cope with. Most 'real' stuff at the moment gives me panic attacks and leaves me feeling so tierd it's like i have been up for days on the run! I watch a lot of drama series and really get into the characters and plot. Reading i love, but it has to be something i'm really in the mood for. Writting fiction is brilliant because it allows me to write about how i feel from a different third person angle.

When I was young my family had season tickets to the rugby league. I hated footy so I brought a book along to every game and buried my head in it while everyone around me screamed and cheered. When we scored my Mum would haul me to my feet and I'd politely clap for a minute before returning to my book. Ah, those were the days! :D

Hmm, you'd think with a past like that I'd be able to concentrate on books in a noisy environment these days, but I seem to have lost that ability. :(

Haha, Kyle.. this is great that your mom kept up with you and made you cheer during a score. Hilarious mental image.. I bet we would have been so boring together at sporting events! :lol:

I have Interstitial Cystitis that developed in 2004. Sadly it's not something that can be cured, and so now it's just fingers crossed that something can be found that at least eases it a little. So in answer to your question, yes, I couldn't not have coped with the last 4 1/2 years without reading and music. Due to having this, I'm in constant pain, so find it hard to leave the house and do "normal" things, and so reading and listening to music is my comfort. I suffer from pretty bad depression at times too, and find I read even more during these periods, I need to immerse myself in something else to cope kind of thing.

I struggle a lot with depression and at the moment i'm going through a bad patch. I have ll sorts of things that i use to try to escape life, as i find them easyier to cope with. Most 'real' stuff at the moment gives me panic attacks and leaves me feeling so tierd it's like i have been up for days on the run! I watch a lot of drama series and really get into the characters and plot. Reading i love, but it has to be something i'm really in the mood for. Writting fiction is brilliant because it allows me to write about how i feel from a different third person angle.

Lexie and Jewell ... :readingtwo::friends0:

Jewell, I know exactly what you mean. I'm signed off work at the moment & for me reading has become my means of coping. I have always thought of reading as an escape, but at the moment reading is what is keeping me sane!

When I was young my family had season tickets to the rugby league. I hated footy so I brought a book along to every game and buried my head in it while everyone around me screamed and cheered. When we scored my Mum would haul me to my feet and I'd politely clap for a minute before returning to my book. Ah, those were the days! :readingtwo:

I wasn't going to admit it, but I did the same thing, but it was my boyfriend (now my OH) playing rugby. I loathe and detest the game, it's usually freezing cold, wet and soggy underfoot and the spectators are more dangerous than the players. Where I came from the women spectators often ended up having fights. I have never been able to come to grips with the game, for the least little reason it seems they stop and have mauls or scrums or something equally uncomfortable looking. So I'd sit in my car and read my book, look up occasionally hoping I'd see boyfriend doing something spectacular, usually miss the vital moment, then have to pretend I'd seen and understood it all.

A teacher at school once advised that if you knew nothing about rugby, to just drop little intelligent comments in once in a while. Things like 'There's no 'beg your pardons' about that ruck!' Well I tried it once in a packed pub, during a fairly important part of the game. Unfortunately, it wasn't a ruck, it was something else and boy did I get some filthy looks.:D Should have stuck to reading my book again.

A teacher at school once advised that if you knew nothing about rugby, to just drop little intelligent comments in once in a while. Things like 'There's no 'beg your pardons' about that ruck!' Well I tried it once in a packed pub, during a fairly important part of the game. Unfortunately, it wasn't a ruck, it was something else and boy did I get some filthy looks.:readingtwo: Should have stuck to reading my book again.

Bless your heart.. at least you tried! ii's going to kill all 3 of us when she realizes how much we've read at sporting events! :D

And is "OH" -- own husband ???

Jewell, I know exactly what you mean. I'm signed off work at the moment & for me reading has become my means of coping. I have always thought of reading as an escape, but at the moment reading is what is keeping me sane!

Our bodies and minds have their own way of telling us when we need something to keep us going. I have heard stories of people who can go blind or deaf, because their bodies just can't cope with hearing or seeing real life. Reading is like tuning yourself in to another world. One that helps you escape from this one for a while, without the extremity of going blind or deaf!

Bless your heart.. at least you tried! ii's going to kill all 3 of us when she realizes how much we've read at sporting events! :readingtwo:

I don't kill over skipped sporting events. Neglected wardrobes, perhaps, but not over sports... *laughs*