Has reading helped you through Illness?

In light of the new Tv advert looking to encourage employers to treat Depression fairly I wondered if reading has helped you through illness

I used to suffer depression but what helped me through it was the amount of reading material I was given by friends and family. From music mags to Readers digest and National Geographic. The books I was given were never "Self help" books but they were it seemed, carefully chosen to cheer me up and help me through the illness.

has reading helped you recover from an illness?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can help when I've been depressed. But I have to be very careful what I read at such times. I have to pick kind of warm-hearted, optimistic stuff, by writers who are uplifting. Not necessarily light-hearted, (that can be equally unhelpful when my head's not straight) but nothing with a dark or unpleasant edge I suppose.

It can help when I've been depressed. But I have to be very careful what I read at such times. I have to pick kind of warm-hearted, optimistic stuff, by writers who are uplifting. Not necessarily light-hearted, (that can be equally unhelpful when my head's not straight) but nothing with a dark or unpleasant edge I suppose.

I was exactly the same Andrea, in fact I was reading very old-fashioned quite banal stuff that I normally wouldn't read, as I found it comforting. When very depressed though, I was unable to concentrate on reading at all.

I've always used books to escape 'life in general'. Books and hockey games. I'd be the happiest when reading between hockey periods*. *laughs* Wearing a pretty new pair of shoes, of course!

* I've never brought a book to a game in real life. It's just about the biggest no-no there is.

I think that it depends on the level of strength that the illness has taken. I've suffered from depression, mildly, sporadically, and I turn either to music or books instantly. Whereas listening to angry or sad music would make things worse, reading is differently in such an occasion. Personally, for me, the type of book that I read doesn't matter. Reading in general does tend to soothe me and take me to the world inside the book and ease me a bit. So when I put the book down I do feel a bit better, and the recovery is aided. But again, I think it depends on the intensity of the illness.

I've suffered from depression, mildly, sporadically, and I turn either to music or books instantly.

Music is my thing. 2.5 years ago I literally immersed myself in all things Andrew McMahon for about 4 weeks. I hardly left my apartment, but I got over it and now I have a tattoo on my wrist representing my getting past it all with the help of Andrew's music :blush:

I can definitely understand that, as music heals and soothes me on a level that books cannot (even though reading does help me and has helped me many times when I've needed something other than music, or something along with music). It's exactly why I think that it all depends on the person, and the force of any illness acquired.

Glad to see you pulled through, Roxi.

During my bouts of depression/anxiety, certainly during my most recent episode, I hardly read because my concentration levels were terrible.

When I did read, it helped a little but I did get very emotional about certain books. My concentration levels are back up now and I am reading a lot. :blush:

I've always used books to escape 'life in general'. Books and hockey games. I'd be the happiest when reading between hockey periods*. *laughs* Wearing a pretty new pair of shoes, of course!

* I've never brought a book to a game in real life. It's just about the biggest no-no there is.

I've never had a serious illness in life, so can't say that books have helped me through anything like that.

I will be the one to admit to bringing books to sporting events, though! My husband loooves sports and I'm just not a big fan, so I bring my book along and we both win. :blush:

I've never had a serious illness in life, so can't say that books have helped me through anything like that.

I will be the one to admit to bringing books to sporting events, though! My husband loooves sports and I'm just not a big fan, so I bring my book along and we both win. :blush:

Oh no! *smacks her head to a wall* I so need to take you to a hockey game...

Well, I've personally never had to go through a serious illness, but I did hit some hard times after maman died. (thus the years in therapy.) I hated where we lived, I hated everything, really, so all I did was school, read and, as we luckily lived in a NHL city, use DD's business seats to get some hockey. And by some I mean virtually every home game. After I came to Finland for high school, I used hockey to get my head out of all the school stuff (very academically demanding school, loads of work, loads of reading required, and very high expectations from parents and teachers alike) and give me a breather. So in a way you could say hockey saved my sanity (or what's left of it, anyways).

I've never had a serious illness, but when I had glandular fever (whilst at school) I stayed in bed and read a whole lot more than I would have been able to otherwise - it certainly kept my mind off feeling so grotty.

Same when I got malnutrition (staying in the halls of residence at college - first term - LOL!). I ended up having to stay off for a couple of extra weeks after the Xmas hols and read all the books I'd got off Santa (which was a fair few!). Again, it helped me take my mind off things.

I also suffer from depression, and reading does help me a lot. It gets me out of my own head and I'm allowed to indulge in someone else's life for a while. :blush:

Its amazing how literature provides an escape for a large number of troubled people. I knew that before this thread anyway, isn't that what art is all about? Self expression and escaping from reality, perhaps finding a link to someone else's mind in the process?

But it's still interesting.

I've never had a serious physical illness but reading helped me through when my mum was ill - and through the months and years after she died too.

I also have OCD and it's helped me focus on something else other than my compulsions and obsessions when they've got really bad - not always, but some is better than none.

I've never really been I'll that much, thank god. But if I was I would imagine that I would read lots, and that it would get me away from things. When I read now, it's usually either because I enjoy it, obviously, or I want to get away from things. I've mentioned before that I don't really talk to many people at school, hence being quite quiet. I have one best-friend who means the world to me, but that's all.. I can't really think of anyone else I would call a friend. So yeah, waffling aside, books help me get away from things, and I imagine they would if I was ill.