Lifetime Books

Ahsilet

I was wondering, do anyone have a book they'll keep close to them for the rest of their life. A book that where the characters still haunt your house, and you find yourself thinking about that book even when you're reading a different book? A book that you'll find yourself reading many times over. Tell us the book(s) and why.

Catcher In The Rye by J.D Salinger

I have a lot of Holden in me. I find myself thinking like him in certain situations. Many things in life are "phonie".

The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisnero

I feel heavy for the women in this book. I related to every woman in this book. I come across women just like them in my daily life on a regular. I have never read a book without my mind coming back to this one.

Well, I have a lot of books I keep for other than "literary" reasons. Old books, including first editions, and then some books that I'm not too fond of but were maman's favourites, for example. As for books I keep because I liked them too much... Edith Wharton's House of Mirth comes to mind. Le Petit Prince, of course. I'm sure there's others, but I'll have to think about this.

One book I find myself thinking about a lot, and at random times, is The Lord of the Rings, which is my favorite book. There's so much depth to that book, and every re-reading is different.

Can't really think of anything.. but I'll want to keep most of my books to be honest. :)

Catcher in the rye - Jd salinger.

I really enjoyed that book.

I'd say To Kill a Mockingbird. I have read it many times, and never get bored with it. I first read it when I was about 14, and loved it. My husband bought me a beautiful rare copy, which is too nice to be read (I'm worried about breaking the spine or bending the pages), but I still have the copy I had as a teenager - a lot more dogeared than it used to be!

A little different tack perhaps:

My grandmother gave me a copy of Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary while I was in Junior High School. That dictionary served me well all through school, college, and my professional life.

Now, like me, it is mostly retired and sits in a place of honor on the table next to my favorite reading chair. Also, like me, it is somewhat worn and tattered.

Even though I use the dictionary built into my iMac and computer spell checkers, there is still something special about looking up a word in that dictionary and reading all the definitions, word origins, and such.

Cheers,

dan :blush:

Edited by purple95

Even though I use the dictionary built into my iMac and computer spell checkers, there is still something special about looking up a word in that dictionary and reading all the definitions, word origins, and such.

True that. Plus, it's absorbing. You only intend to look up one word, and half an hour later you start to wonder what the original one was, before you went flipping through the dictionary...

• 1 month later...

Persuasion by Jane Austen, because I identify with Anne.

To The Ends of the Earth by William Golding. Beautiful, sad, funny, everything I want a book to be I found in that trilogy and I never wanted it to end.

Hamlet - I studied it at school and have never lost my fascination with it. Everything you ever felt in life is there, and whenever I'm searching for an answer that's where I find it.

The Characters in the Harry Potter books will stay with me forever. :D No, I don't have to grow up!

Summer by Edith Wharton will stay with me. The 3 main characters were a mess. The woman who runs after love and loses it to a guy who is promised to another and the woman ends up with the man she never wanted to be with. What Drama.

Wuthering Heights.

And, funnily enough, talking about characters that stay with you - Dustfinger, from Inkheart. I know nobody likes those books, but nobody else I know whose read them has ever commented on Dustfinger, and I think he's an absolutely genius character (given his context of children's books.)

The fact that he's given an opportunity to meet his author, his god - and the whimsical way in which that god mentions how he killed Dustfinger off for the sake of drama.

To me, that's just, immensely deep for a children's book. Or, the implications are, anyway. That will always stay with me. :D

I will also most definitely read Harry Potter to my kids xD

The book 'IT' by Stephen King is so amazing and personal to me, there's so many themes and things running throughout about the power of childhood, friendship and battles, just idk so many different things which speak to me on so many different levels. The story has a true voice and it haunts me almost daily ^-^

My copy of "Join Me! The True Story of a Man who started a Cult by Accident". It's accompanied me to so many joinee meets and bears the signatures, dedications, drawings of so many friends, so many memories of good times and good deeds done, that I'll never replace it. Not even when it starts truly falling apart.

The copy of "The P