Bee's Books 2009

BookBee8

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7. The Death And Life Of Charlie St.Cloud - Ben Sherwood (12.02.09 - 14.02.09)

As a boy, Charlie St Cloud narrowly survived a car crash that killed Sam, his little brother. Years later, still unable to recover from his loss, Charlie has taken a job tending to the lawns and monuments in the New England cemetery where Sam is buried. When he meets Tess Carroll, a captivating, adventurous woman in training for a solo sailing trip around the globe, they discover a beautiful and uncommon connection that, after a violent storm at sea, eventually forces them to choose between death and live, past and present, holding on and letting go. The Death and Life of Charlie St Cloud is a romantic and uplifting novel about second chances and the liberating power of love.

The story begins with a vivid re-telling of the tragic accident that resulted in the death of twelve year old Sam St.Cloud and Charlie without his younger brother. This is first told by the firefighter that saved Charlie's life and is written in a detailed, moving way that verges on a tear jerker. This introduction is told in first person so is at once personal and draws the reader in. The second chapter tell the events leading up to the accident similar to the style of a police report, however Sherwood manages to keep the reader feeling emotionally connected and hooked. The initial description of Charlie leaves the reader feeling attached to him, which is a clever move for the author to take as the novel may not have worked without this.

The first line of the book "I believe in miracles" is a perfectly fitting quote for the entire novel. The blurb appears to reveal major plot points but it in fact fails to mention the hidden genre within the book. It has religion woven into the story, but this is neither preachy or over bearing. This is less dominant than the unexpected element of supernatural which is essential for the telling of the story. The beginning and end are also beautifully contradicting with each other.

However, no novel is flawless. The plot is entirely obvious and completely predictable from page one which does have a huge impact on how it is read. This was to the extreme that at times, I could have written the rest of the story myself. The supposed twist is made extremely obvious and clear for the reader to figure out.

At times, the dialogue appears too light for the situation being discussed and the descriptions seem too focused on other, less important factors. The story is also almost too unbelievable in places and this ruins the moral and feeling of the novel slightly.

However, the novel is thoroughly enjoyable and incredibly easy to read, a real page turner. The simple meaning and message behind the novel is a lovely, hopeful one and is worth reading, even if it's just for the hugely optimistic perspective.

7/10 :blush:

Edited by BookBee8

Great review of The Death And Life Of Charlie St.Cloud. I was sure I'd read this, but couldn't remember it in any great detail, but going back through my old reading lists, I realise I read it in 2005, so I've read over 300 books since then, so it's no surprise I can't remember it in detail! However, I also realised that this is by the same author who wrote The Man Who Ate The 747, which I remember much more vividly despite reading it earlier, and enjoyed much more than the follow up. Have you read it?

The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas is good,if a bit predictable. Have'nt seen the film yet,has anyone else?

This is one that I keep putting off, I'm not entirely sure why though, it does sound good. I haven't seen the film and doubt I'll watch it until after I've read the book.

:giggle:

:D That's the second person to recommend The Rescue. I usually enjoy his books so I think I'll read it soon (ish!), have you read any others by him? Which ones are on your list?

Yes, other then The Rescue, I've read The Notebook, A Bend in the Road and The Guardian. I enjoyed them all.

On my list I have After You'd Gone byMaggie O'Farrell, A Swift Pure Cry by Siobhan Dowd, and I plan on re-reading To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee and The Diary of Anne Frank.

I haven't read The Guardian. I tend to find his books quite 'nice'. I don't think I could ever class them as favourites but I do enjoy them. I liked A Walk To Remember and I've read At First Sight too which was very sad.

I'm really looking forward to A Swift Pure Cry and I've heard so many good things about To Kill A Mockingbird that I can't help but expect a lot from that one too.

I haven't read The Guardian. I tend to find his books quite 'nice'. I don't think I could ever class them as favourites but I do enjoy them. I liked A Walk To Remember and I've read At First Sight too which was very sad.

I'm really looking forward to A Swift Pure Cry and I've heard so many good things about To Kill A Mockingbird that I can't help but expect a lot from that one too.

I remember studying To Kill a Mockingbird in grade 10 and I think I must have read it 5 times in the space of a couple of months it was that good.

8. THE READER - BERNHARD SCHLINK (15.02.09-18.02.09)

For 15-year-old Michael Berg, a chance meeting with an older woman leads to far more than he ever imagined. The woman in question is Hanna, and before long they embark on a passionate, clandestine love affair which leaves Michael both euphoric and confused. For Hanna is not all she seems. Years later, as a law student observing a trial in Germany, Michael is shocked to realize that the person in the dock is Hanna. The woman he had loved is a criminal. Much about her behaviour during the trial does not make sense. But then suddenly, and terribly, it does - Hanna is not only obliged to answer for a horrible crime, she is also desperately concealing an even deeper secret.

The Reader is a relatively short novel that tells the story of Michael Berg and his experience with an older woman that hides a deep, dark secret. The book is divided into three significant sections; firstly Michael at fifteen in the summer when the affair took place, secondly Michael as a student during the trial and finally, the years following the trial. The book reads like an autobiography (I later found out that the novel is partially autobiographical) as for the most part, it switches between living the moment and in hindsight, looking back on it. To add to this, the chapters are all very short and feel like snippets of meaningful memories. These chapters often began with key plot points which were then elaborated on in the pages that followed. In other novels, this tactic would not have worked but for The Reader it added to the feel of the story and seemed appropriate. Despite the novel having three parts, the novel seems split into two by the distinct change in the writing style after Michael discovers the truth about Hanna. The contrast is very noticeable.

The Reader is ultimately a novel about the aftermath of the Holocaust and the inevitable ripple effect that it caused. However, The Reader cannot be defined by any set genre as it crosses over many. An element of complex romance mixed with the examination of post war Germany has led to a gripping read. The horrors of the past was analysed by both the characters and the author, with the students involved in the trial condemning the older generation for both their actions and lack of action.

The novel poses endless questions for the reader to consider. This starts from the very beginning with the introduction to Hanna Smitz. Her motives are immediately questioned by the reader. Michael is drawn to her despite the age gap and this leads to life changing consequences. The story of their affair is written in a way that is very easy to read. However, the second half of the book provides a deeper exploration of Michael's character. This is inevitably harder to read - not only because of his inner turmoil - but also due to the area being discussed. As the reader, it's easy to empathise with Michael's conflicted emotions towards Hanna. A quote:

"I wanted simultaneously to understand Hanna's crime and to condemn it. But it was too terrible for that. When I tried to understand it, I had the feeling I was failing to condemn it as it must be condemned. When I condemned it as it must be condemned, there was no room for understanding" Page 156.

I had a hard time picking critcisms with The Reader. This was not because it was a perfect read, but due to the nature and subject of it. The impact of the novel may overul any minor negatives for some. One critque I had was that for over fifty pages, it felt like I was waiting for the story to begin. However, in hindsight, that seems insignifcant. The blurb suggests that Hanna's hiding an even deeper secret than the crimes she commited. A secret that she is deeply ashamed of. However, the secret is not as huge as the blurb makes out. Although, it does link with several plot points.

The Reader is an intense book that is morally complex. The term 'thought provoking' tends to be over used by me but it is exactly fitting for this novel; it leaves the reader with a lot to think about. It's both moving and powerful with a depth that is endless. It's definitley a book I would recommend to all.

8/10

I watched the movie adaptation and was hugely impressed. They stayed loyal to the book and the actors were superb. Kate Winslet's portayal of Hanna was spot on, she played it perfectly. David Kross, who played the young Michael, was fantastic and managed to convey his inner turmoil amazingly.

Edited by BookBee8