Bee's Books 2009

BookBee8

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15. LUCKY MAN: A MEMOIR - MICHAEL J. FOX (02.04.09 - 13.04.09)

In September 1998, Michael J. Fox stunned the world by announcing that he had been diagnosed with Parkinson's disease - a degenerative neurological condition. He had been secretly fighting it for seven years. Now, he tells the story of his life - from his childhood to his meteoric rise in film and television and, most importantly, the last ten years during which he has dealt with his illness. He talks about what Parkinson's has given him: the chance to appreciate a wonderful life, and the opportunity to help search for a cure and spread public awareness of the disease. He feels as if he is a very lucky man indeed.

Celebrity autobiographies rarely appeal to me, I've read less than ten in the past years and have found them to be all very similar; all with the same story to tell. I've never read one and felt that their experience was worth reading over anyone else's, until now. Being a fan of Michael J. Fox's work and knowing about his illness, I figured his story was would be something special, and I was right! :roll:

Another crucial part of autobiographies that usually lacks is the quality of the writing style. However, Lucky Man was written in an engaging way that held my interest and attention throughout. The book was descriptive in all the perfect places, providing the reader an insight into the life of Michael J. Fox; his highs, lows and daily struggles that Parkinson's places on him. I found myself being emotionally connected with these highs and lows; laughing out loud at particular parts and tearing up at others. Reading Lucky Man is far from an easy read as it's the expected emotional roller coaster. Ultimately, Lucky Man is a series of story lines which weave together; his rise to fame and the business, his family and his experience with Parkinson's. All connected together results in a fascinating, intricate telling of his life.

One aspect that is immediately obvious from page one is the amount of honesty that is included. He is so open and truthful about such a lot in the book, about both his public and private life and a perspective on fame, both his own and the world of. Nor was he afraid to admit his faults. It was so completely endearing; he admits mistakes and negatives about his past without giving false excuses, which only makes me adore him even more.

The mere name of this book gives a good clue to the kind of man Michael J. Fox is. His strength and the dignity he has maintained throughout his illness is inspirational, and this shows clearly in the book. He talks about it as an alteration in his life that has had a positive impact which has made him the man he is today.

A minimal part of the book didn't catch my attention or interest the same way as the rest of his story did. This was the parts where he was breaking into the business and the years he spent trying. However, being a minor flaw, this didn't subtract from my overall enjoyment of this fantastic autobiography.

Michael J. Fox is an incredible man and I would recommend Lucky Man to everyone. If you have to read an autobiography, then read this one. Not only is he an immensely likeable person but he has been through more than enough to provide a gripping read that stays with you long after the final page.

9.5/10 :lol:

Edited by BookBee8

I read this a while back, and thoroughly agree with your review BookBee.

Nor was he afraid to admit his faults. It was so completely enduring; he admits mistakes and negatives about his past without giving false excuses, which only makes me adore him even more.

Before I read your review I remembered how endearing and powerful this aspect of his autobiography was. His honesty sticks with you.

I remembered how endearing and powerful this aspect of his autobiography was. His honesty sticks with you.

It really was. Other people would have sugar coated certain things or not revealed them at all, but he was so open, it was great.

Ohh I was thinking about getting this, I think you've persuaded me! :roll:

It's well worth it :lol:. Everyone I know that's read it has had similar things to say about it.

The Host - Stephenie Meyer 8/10

The Time Traveler's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger 8/10

Girl, Interrupted - Susanna Kaysen 6/10

Twilight: Director's Notebook - Catherine Hardwicke 10/10

Life On The Refrigerator Door - Alice Kuipers 7/10

Lucky Man: A Memoir - Michael J. Fox 9.5/10

I should have resisted temptation and not looked at your list, these books seem to have found their way on my wishlist ;). I just don't know how it happens :roll:.

I haven't read The Guardian. I tend to find his books quite 'nice'. I don't think I could ever class them as favourites but I do enjoy them. I liked A Walk To Remember and I've read At First Sight too which was very sad.

I'm really looking forward to A Swift Pure Cry and I've heard so many good things about To Kill A Mockingbird that I can't help but expect a lot from that one too.

I've read most of Nicholas Sparks' books, I find them enlightening. I always somehow end up crying in everyone of his books. I'm a softie like that!

The Rescue was definitely a good read (the third recommendation!) although it wasn't as good as At First Sight or A Walk To Remember. It was still great though.

I half agree with you about A Walk to Remember with the movie being better than the book. It certainly had its moments but I think the ending and the start of the book was better. The Notebook (the book) was definitely not what I expected it to be. I watched the movie first and then read the book and it was disappointing (wow, its the other way round!) What about you, what'd you think of it?

Have either of you read A Bend in the Road by Nicholas Sparks? I read it the other week & thougt it was a really good (if somewhat predictable) read. I would definately recommend it!

I'm not exactly sure... Was that the one with the car crash? Hang on, let me check it out.

Yes, I have read it. Only once though and it was 3 years ago, I cannot remember for the life of me anything about it. I just remember a car crash- hence the title. That's about it though.

I think pretty much all his books are predictable :roll: I like them though, but still. they always end up in heartache and pain.

Rach - ;) I know the feeling, I check out people's reading blogs on here and my wishlist just gets bigger!

I also thought the film version of The Notebook was better than the book, although I enjoyed them both a lot. I think it just had a bit more depth as the book is quite short. :roll: I've read A Bend In The Road too and I thought it was similar to his others; quite enjoyable and very readable but yeah, very predictable. :lol:

• 1 month later...

16. BLUE DIARY - ALICE HOFFMAN (16.04.09 - 18.04.09)

When Ethan Ford fails to show up for work on a brilliant summer morning, none of his neighbours would guess that for more than thirteen years he has been running from his past. His true nature has been locked away, as hidden as his real identity. But sometimes locks spring open, and the devastating truths of Ethan's history shatter the small-town peace of Monroe, affecting family and friends alike.

Now, the police are at the door. Ethan Ford's life as an irreproachable family man and heroic volunteer fireman has come to an end - and Jorie Ford's life is coming apart. Some of the residents at Monroe are rallying behind Ethan. But others, including his wife and son, are wondering what remains true when so much is shown to be false - and how capable we really are of change.

The book introduces the reader to Ethan and Jorie Ford - a couple married for thirteen years who appear to have the perfect life, spending a summer morning together. Until a knock at the door changes everything. This book officially had me torn; at times I was cursing and complaining in frustration and yet I was totally drawn to it and reading it at every available opportunity.

Blue Diary had me curious and wondering from page one. As the blurb suggests, what has been discovered about Ethan Ford causes a ripple effect throughout the small town, including many characters into the story. The effect of what is revealed is presented to the reader through several key characters who are all linked to each other as a result of the uncovered truth. Most of these separate story lines had me hooked but a few side plots felt totally unnecessary and only slowed the novel down.

What is evident from page one is that Hoffman loves to describe the environment, including flowers and insects, in far too much depth. She provides the reader with an exact weather report to set every single scene; for the minority this is great visual imagery but most of the time, it hinders the story too much and becomes incredibly tedious. This was a major flaw of the book, as I cared little about the bees and flowers and wanted the focus more on the characters! The symbolism of the changing weather as the story progresses is impossible to ignore because Hoffman makes it so glaringly obvious.

The ending of Blue Diary left me feeling unsatisfied as several key questions were left unanswered, and this detracted from my overall enjoyment by a significant amount. The plot had an immense amount of potential but Hoffman failed to fill that; despite being a very readable novel and relatively enjoyable, my lasting impression was more negative than positive. Being a huge page turner is not enough to sustain this type of story; it lacked necessary depth and although many perspectives was important, Hoffman merely scratched the surface with a few of these. Regardless of the obvious flaws, I would recommend reading this as the plot is fascinating, even if Hoffman doesn’t give the reader what is expected and needed.

6.5/10

Edited by BookBee8

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

21. ON CHESIL BEACH - IAN MCEWAN (03.07.09 - 12.07.09)

It is June, 1962. In a hotel on the Dorset coast, overlooking Chesil Beach. Edward and Florence, who got married that morning, are sitting down to dinner in their room. Neither is entirely able to suppress their anxieties about the wedding night to come.

This was the first Ian McEwan novel I