Rwemad 2009

rwemad

For the full(er) list go to post 10....

..... please.:P

Well. I thought I would start listing the books I read on here.

I have already added many books to my library list after reading other peoples threads on here. Thanks to all of you.

Hopefully this thread will offer some new ideas to some of you. I am a newbie and so am a little shy of reviewing but will 'star' each book according to how much I liked it.

So far this year I have read..

Post Birthday World by Lionel Shriver *****

Great Dream of Heaven by Sam Shephard (short stories) ***

A Matter of Death and Life by Andrey Kirkov ****

Exits and other stories by B A Kennedy (short stories) *****

The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad ***

I am currently reading the 2008 winning short stories from the Bridport competition. I loved the 2007 selection and am really looking forward to burying myself in this book too.

Edited by rwemad

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bridport short story winners 2008****

Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult***

Currently a third waythrough Private Papers by Margaret Forster and rather enjoying it. The library have rang to say they have some of the books that I have reserved come in. I will collect them tomorrowif I can finish Private Papers in time. Otherwise it can wait till Monday.

Currently a third waythrough Private Papers by Margaret Forster and rather enjoying it. The library have rang to say they have some of the books that I have reserved come in. I will collect them tomorrowif I can finish Private Papers in time. Otherwise it can wait till Monday.

Glad you are enjoying your reads. By the way, you can keep a list updated on one post by using the 'edit' button. I feel this helps me keep it in one list rather than make separate ones. Just and idea. :D

Glad you are enjoying your reads. By the way, you can keep a list updated on one post by using the 'edit' button. I feel this helps me keep it in one list rather than make separate ones. Just and idea. :D

Very true - but you can only do this once you have made 10 posts. :lol:

Oh... thanks for that.

I was really thinking I was a being more of a numbsky than usual as I couldn't figure out where the edit option was. I've looked a number of times to correct the typos- I have a sticky space bar that is driving me nuts.

Also, Charm was kind enough to offer a personal welcome and send me some sort of invite to conversation or something. I read it but have no clue how to respond or anything and now I feel awfully rude. I'm off to find her/his thread to apologise - publicly because I don't know how else to:blush:.

I guess I should have learned how to use the site first eh.:lol:

LOOK LOOK I'm editting!!!:D

Edited by rwemad
because I can!!!!!

Oh... thanks for that.

I was really thinking I was a being more of a numbsky than usual as I couldn't figure out where the edit option was. I've looked a number of times to correct the typos- I have a sticky space bar that is driving me nuts.

Also, Charm was kind enough to offer a personal welcome and send me some sort of invite to conversation or something. I read it but have no clue how to respond or anything and now I feel awfully rude. I'm off to find her/his thread to apologise - publicly because I don't know how else to:blush:.

I guess I should have learned how to use the site first eh.:lol:

It's because you don't have 10 posts. Once you have 10 posts on the forum, the options will open up to you. For one, you will be able to edit your posts, and I'm guessing it will be the same for the conversation invite. So it's not you being stupid it's just you need 10 posts! :D

Hope that explains it.

~Ben.

OK.

Hello everybody.:)

I have tried to edit the opening post but I have been thrown out twice. I think perhaps it is because I tried to do a little too much and waffled on and on etc.

Anyway, I thought I would try and be a little bit more organised. I am going to use this post as the opening post and add the titles of the '2009 reads' as I complete them. I may add a little bit about each book at the bottom of the list in it's own little post at the bottom of the thread.:)

I love books. I am as simple as that.

I will make some sort of crude effort to 'grade' each book with some stars but this is purely self indulgence on my part. I firmly believe that each reader will be touched or spoken to differently, and uniquely, by each book. It may depend on life circumstance at the time. For example, when grieving for my father, I wept openly and painfully at a passage in 'My favourite Wife' by Tony Parsons. At no other time would I say that passage, or indeed any part of that book, would have reduced me to tears. Likewise, Uncle Podger putting up the picture in 'Three Men in a Boat' by Jerome K Jerome never fails to have me crying tears of pure merriment at the memories of my dear departed Grandad. Two books, two memories, buckets of very different tears.

Such is the power of words.

Anyway, it may well depend on what is happening in my life at the time, what mood I am in on the day...anything (nobody mention month:tong:). So, add a pinch of salt and a smattering of stars and away we go.

Private Papers by Margaret Forster ***

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak *****

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey **

The Big Picture by Douglas Kennedy ****

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis ****

Atonement by Ian McEwan***

Have The Men Had Enough? by Margaret Forster *****

Catch-22 by Stephen Heller

By The Time You Read This by Lola Jaye **

A Special Relationship by Douglas Kennedy ***

Things I want my Daughters to Know by Elizabeth Noble ***

Ritual by Mo Hayder****

Over by Margaret Forster ****

According to Ruth by Jane Feaver *****

I Have the Right to Destroy Myself by Young-Ha Kim ***

State of the Union by Douglas Kennedy *

Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris ***

Is There Anything you Want? by Margaret Forster ***

The Bird Room by Chris Killen **

Pig Island by Mo Hayder****

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell ****

Copycat by Erica Spindler***

An Artist of the Floating World by Kazuo Ishguro****

An Absolute Scandal by Penny Vincenzi *

After Dark by Haruki Murakami *****

Live a Little by Kim Green ***

The Carhullan Army by Sarah Hall ****

Crime by Ivine Welsh ****

The Life& Soul of the Party by Mike Gayle*

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishguro ****

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami *****

What You Make It by Michael Marshall Smith***

Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay **

The Intruders by Michael Marshall ****

The Life You Longed For by Maribeth Fischer***

After the Quake by Haruki Murakami*****

Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami****

Marley & Me by John Grogan ***

Remains of he Day by Kazuo Ishiguro*****

Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs****

The Road by Cormac McCarthy *****

The Straw Men by Michael Marshall ****

This Charming Man by Marianne Keyes **

Dance For YourDaddy by Katherne Shelduck ***

The Lonely Dead by Michael Marshall ****

Blood of Angels by Michael Marshall ****

Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom ***

Nothing to Lose by Lee Child ***

Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami ****

Bad Things by Michael Marshall ****

I suppose I had better offer some sort of explanation as to what they mean.:woohoo:

-- Couldn't finsh ... sorry

* Perseverd till the end but pretty dire really... sorry again.

** OK, glad I read it

*** Enjoyed it, pleasant, good.

**** Fabulous, recommend it.

***** WOW!!! I so wish I had written THAT!

Edited by rwemad

I like your idea of marking books with stars, out of five (like people do on amazon) its less daunting than writing a review for everyone. I get nervous when explaining how i felt about a book i read, incase i am not eloquent enough or my thoughts are not shared, (not that that matters too much) but then like you said people feel differently about books and your opinion does depend what time in your life you read the book. Plently of people have re-read books and felt completely different the second or third time round.

I get nervous when explaining how i felt about a book i read, incase i am not eloquent enough or my thoughts are not shared, (not that that matters too much) but then like you said people feel differently about books and your opinion does depend what time in your life you read the book. Plently of people have re-read books and felt completely different the second or third time round.

I feel the same way, but then what I think about a book doesn't really matter. Each book can affect different people in different ways, and I agree, it does depend on where you are in your life at the time you read it.

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey.**

I was disappointed with this one. I have a nephew who is struggling with drug addiction and was looking forward to reading about it.

I didn't really enjoy the way it was written. It annoyed me sometimes when it just kept repeating short pointless sentences. "I sipped my coffee. I sipped my coffee. I sipped my coffee". I'm thinking... OK I get it... you've got a coffee.

Having said that. Parts of it were interesting. I just wish I could be convinced that it wasn't embellished or romanticised to the nth degree.

I guess I was just hoping to learn something which may be of some use or offer me a little more understanding.

Glad I read it though.

Edited by rwemad

The Big Picture by Douglas Kennedy.****

I really enjoyed this book. It was fast paced and simple to read. It held my attention and I even found myself reading whilst waiting for the kettle to boil my interest ws so keenly captured.

I highly recommend it.

The only reason it didn't get a ***** was that I was a bit disappointed at the ending. After such a fast story it sort of spluttered to a stop where I wanted it to squeal sideways to a mind jolting halt. Not sure how he would have done that.......... but I guess that's why I'm not a best selling author.:blush:

Edited by rwemad

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis****

Oh my oh my.

I have tried to read this several times before but have struggled with the first third (or so) of the book. The constant reference and long winded description of what he and everybody is wearing etc was tiresome. It is only after I perservered that I realised how important it was to the book and the character(s). Once that first third (or so) was over with, Oh my goodness - what a book!!!!

I cannot recall having read anything more gruesome and quite frankly terrifying. I read some of the passages from behind the sofa!!!! I loved the way it was written, the gore and horror nestling amongst the self-indulgence and insecurity of the yuppie world. I found it amusing and enthralling. I read it with a certain amount of enjoyment which made me feel somewhat weird and embarrassed. What a strange book for me to enjoy. I really surprised myself. It is a book that I have discussed at length to anybody who will tolerate me. There is so much to it.... so much to talk about and so many feelings and questions raised about myself and people in general. Oh my.... what a book.

I haven't seen the film but apparently it is a bit like watching Corrie after having read the book.

Even though I enjoyed this soooo much I am reluctant to give it a ***** because of the reference to my wishing I had wrote it. mmmmm I'm going to have to get over wanting to write only the 'nice' stuff I think. I wonder though, how did he come up with such errrr 'ideas' for those more violent passages?

I intend to read it again. Perhaps in a year's time.

Edited by rwemad

Atonement by Ian McEwan***

This was nice. There were parts of it where I was thinking 'this is going to be a 4*er' but am I alone in being confused at the end?:eek:

I enjoyed it though and it was a nice calming, pleasant read after American Psycho.:friends0:

Edited by rwemad

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Oh my oh my.

I have tried to read this several times before but have struggled with the first third (or so) of the book. The constant reference and long winded description of what he and everybody is wearing etc was tiresome. It is only after I perservered that I realised how important it was to the book and the character(s). Once that first third (or so) was over with, Oh my goodness - what a book!!!!

I've tried reading the book a couple of times myself (I really like the movie and my friend has recommended the book too) but I've always struggled with the beginning just like you. Funny you should say that you realised how important it was to the book to have all that description about the clothes and the music and whatnots, because my friend has said exactly the same thing so many times and has encouraged me to try to get past that. I'm glad you persevered and ended up liking the book so much! :eek: I'm thinking I'll have to give it another go, too.

Michelle and Frankie........ American Psycho is a book that is well worth persevering with imo.

It is shocking though. I defy anybody to read it for the first time and not raise their hand towards their face at some point.

Unless I'm particularly wooosy.:blush:

I think that as parts of it made uncomfortable reading, added to the enjoyment in a rather bizarre sense. I mean I like feel-good books as well as the next person but sometimes, just sometimes, it's good to push my boundaries and step out of the 'comfort zone' so to speak.

It really was good!!!

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey.

I was disappointed with this one. I have a nephew who is struggling with drug addiction and was looking forward to reading about it.

I didn't really enjoy the way it was written. It annoyed me sometimes when it just kept repeating short pointless sentences. "I sipped my coffee. I sipped my coffee. I sipped my coffee". I'm thinking... OK I get it... you've got a coffee.

Having said that. Parts of it were interesting. I just wish I could be convinced that it wasn't embellished or romanticised to the nth degree.

I guess I was just hoping to learn something which may be of some use or offer me a little more understanding.

Glad I read it though.

I've just finished reading this book..I did like it,but i can't really explain why.:blush: Although i do agree that the constant repeating sentences did become very tedious.. Also alot of the book,did tend to be very dramatized and hollywood-esque,like his constant daily struggle to look into his eyes..so when i foun d out afterwards that he had embellished and lied about certain parts (or all?) of his story it didn't much surprise me. However i did find myself feverishly reading to see how he coped outside of rehab..I'd recommend to read it,if only to see what the hype is about

Have The Men Had Enough? by Margaret Forster *****

I think this book is going to have to go down as one of my all time favourites. I simply thought it was fabulous.

It was funny and sad, tender and painful and it made me smile, weep, laugh and ring my Mum to tell her how much I love her.:blush: I should really do that more often.

What I love about it is that it is totally unpretentious. It created all the aforementioned feelings and emotions but at no time did I feel that that was what it was trying to do. It was simply telling the story. I am guessing that for anybody who, like myself, has cared for an ailing parent will feel doubly effected. I cared for my father, not through dementia but to the inevitable end and so much of this writing was just too true for comfort.

And yet it was comforting because it was true.

It was amazing.

I wish I had written it.

Also alot of the book,did tend to be very dramatized and hollywood-esque,like his constant daily struggle to look into his eyes..so when i foun d out afterwards that he had embellished and lied about certain parts (or all?) of his story it didn't much surprise me.

Ahhhh. I had read somewhere that there were a few porkies but I had been led to believe that it was mainly true.

The looking for his eyes in the mirror was a bit much.

Catch 22 by Stephen Heller

This is the second time I have tried this book. I know it is clever and I have laughed but I just don't get on with it. Sorry.

I also know it is supposed to be a classic and I will try it again but I have just got tired of trying with it right now. I have given up about a third of the way through. I was hoping it would get easier but a colleague has told me that it doesn't and, quite honestly, I read for pleasure and this just wasn't pleasurable (for me ........... obviously it may be very different for everybody else) and so I am throwing in the towel.

Do you all know what???? I haven't read a book at all in the past 24 hours. This may not seem long (particularly on an international weekend (go Wales go!!!:lol:)) but for me it is an age. This is because I forbade myself to read two things at once. I even cleaned the oven this morning rather than pick this book up:roll: boy o boy it must be a trial.

I'm going to have a crack at something easy and light.

By The Time You Read This by Lola Jaye **

This was just what I needed after attempting Catch-22. It is everything Catch-22 isn't.

Catch-22 was completely shambolic and often nonsensical whereas By The Time.. was straightforward and predictable.

I found this book so easy and light. To be honest it had no impact whatsoever and I will have probably forgotten about it by tomorrow. It is fortunate in that it is short and simple otherwise the predictability would just have been unbearable. The reader knows where it is going to end within the first few pages. Is it a spoiler to mention no surprises here?

Should anybody want a book to read by the pool when they have to keep one eye on the kids and have to keep putting it up and down .... then yes, read it. Otherwise, don't bother.

All my humble opinion of course.:giggle:

Edited by rwemad