Rwemad 2009

rwemad

A Special Relationship by Douglas Kennedy***.

I chose this book because it was written by Douglas Kennedy and I had enjoyed 'The Big Picture'. I am not sure if I have graded this one down only in comparison to the the Big P. I hope not. I want to grade each as a stand alone read. I also fret in case I have down graded it because I had unrealistic expectations.

See..... you can't trust what I say even if you do decide you like the same sort of books. :)

Anyway, I have had no experience (thankfully) of depression and found the pages spent dwelling on the period where the lead was depressed....... well a tad laborious. There was a couple of moments when I thought I may put it to one side as I feared that was going to be the topic of the whole book. However, it did liven up as the story evolved and moved forward quite quickly in parts.

I'm really unsure what I want from these sort of books. I'm not sure what it says (if anything) about me, when, should the ending be twisted/dire/sad or just plain unhappy I think 'well... that's not very nice'. However, when it is all 'happy ever after' I think 'mmmm... bit mushy'. Of course in the books where we are left to make up our own mind... well.... they are just infuriating aren't they? I really don't know what I want or expect.

Well, having just reread the above I have confused myself.... makes no sense to me even if I did write it. I'm going to leave it hang though... see what happens next......

Edited by rwemad

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things I want my Daughters to Know by Elizabeth Noble ***

This was OK. It was nice, pleasant and easy to read. Good one for the beach.

I think those who have lost a Mum to a terminal illness may well feel a little more 'touched' by this book than I was. I never felt moved to tears as some readers have said they were. This was surprising as I cry quite easilly. I just didn't find it particularly sad. I'm not entirely sure it wasn't intended to be uplifting rather than sad. I think, should the intention be to make the reader weep, it would have gone deeper into issues directly surrounding the death rather than centre on other events in the daughters' lives. A little more depth would have been nice I think.

Worth reading though.

Ritual by Mo Hayder****

Great book.

Should you feel like reading something gritty with a truly realistic slap of quite disturbing horror, then this is a book for you.

I don't really want to say too much for fear of spoiling it for anybody. Lots of interesting characters with enough depth for us to know what made them tick without going too OTT. It was fast paced with twists, turns and a few red herrings thrown in for good measure. Great, edge-of-the-seat stuff.

I liked this so much I have asked the library to hold Pig Island for me.

I would never have found this author if it had not been for the good people of this forum.

Thank you.:)

The Ritual sounds interesting, think I'll add it to my wishlist :). I've read Pig Island and found it to be a bit ... strange, is the most appropriate description I can think of! :roll:

I've got Things I Want My Daughters To Know on my bookshelf TBR too!

Over by Margaret Forster ****

As I expected, I really enjoyed this book. It was small but beautiful. Somehow it managed to delve deeply into the emotions surrounding grief, the roles of the various family members and how the grieving process can affect each individual.

Somehow it made me feel remarkably intuitive. How clever. Because in real life I don't think I am.

It was poignant and touching without being a weepy.

Beautiful is a very apt description of this book I think.

According to Ruth by Jane Feaver *****

I have been so lucky lately. I have read some truly fantastic books this year.

According to Ruth is outstanding. Honestly. I have carried out a search here and can't see it anywhere. Please read it.... you are missing soooo much if you don't.

It is a story about a family falling apart at the seams. It is mainly told 'according to Ruth'. Ruth is full of girly teenage worries and has younger siblings to contend with whilst recognising the breakdown of her parents marriage. She also has her own budding sexuality to contend with. I would just hate to be a teen again.

Maybe it is my age (45) which caused me to chuckle nostalgically - rewinding cassette tapes with a biro anybody? But everybody will recognise themselves in Ruth, her siblings or the adults (or all of them) in some way. Hands up those who never packed their school satchel with weetabix and marmalade (or similar) to run away from home?

As it moves from childhood recollections it becomes not only chuckly (is that a word? I've had some wine:smile2:) but poignant and sad.

Each sentence is packed. It is only a short(ish) book but it feels like a very lengthy short story. Every sentence appears well thought out and concisely written. Every sentence matters.

Wonderful, wonderful book.

I hope somebody here reads it and gives it the glowing pride of place review it so richly deserves.

I wish so much that I had written it.

I Have the Right to Destroy Myself by Young-Ha Kim ***

Another short one. I very nearly gave this a 4* as I know many people will love this book, but I think it may require a somewhat acquired taste.

It is........ busy.... yes, busy is the best way I can describe it. There is a lot going on.

It is written anonymously, which is apt as the narrator answers a helpline to those seeking help. The lead is an art critic and novelist and counsellor. He offers well selected clients advice and assistance to end their life.

He covers the story's of two of his clients. Both female and both are involved with a character only known as C and his brother K.

I was left feeling it was about the relationship between two brothers and loneliness.

It all sounds very depressing but, whilst it can't be called chirpy, Ifound I didn't dwell on the death bit.

Strange.

State of the Union by Douglas Kennedy *

Hugely disappointed with this one.

It was lengthy and dull for a large amount of the time. The 'exciting bits' were often just plain daft. I mean I know it's a story and I know it is supposed to stretch my imagination but please.... the reader needs to be credited with a little bit of noggins surely.

The idea isn't a bad or uncommon one. For me though, there were too many conincidences and they were all a little too convenient. The attempt to be topical regarding the whole Christian evangelical thing and the fox news stuff was just way too OTT. I speak as an atheist who recognises fox news as more entertainment than factual, but, even for me, this was over cooked. The biggest imagination couldn't visualise the media circus that was depicted let alone the jumping to conclusions of an almost entire population.

I didn't like the lead, Hannah, I thought she was self absorbed and a misery. The most believable part of the book was where she admitted she just didn't 'do' happy. So, it was very difficult to warm to her, even if she was having a run of (totally unbelievable) bad luck.

I just struggled through it to the bitter end despite being frustrated and annoyed at it's plain silliness and lack of respect for it's reader.

Sorry, I know the above may be harsh... but having enjoyed the Big Picture I can't believe this one is such a let down.

Oh well.

I read Over by Margaret Forster ages ago and I still remember how I was quite surprised by it. I agree, it's such a small, quick read but it's quite powerful.

Ahhh see!!! There are books that we both like.:shrug:

Have you read - Have the Men Had Enough? It is a fab book.

Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris ***

I had to prepare myself for this one. I had to sit myself down and give myself a good old fashioned talking to. I fear I am turning into a proper old grouch. I am recognising a tendency in myself to nitpick and point out inconsistencies in both character and plot. This, I know, is not the most endearing quality of my personality. ;) I chose this book as I wanted it to stretch my imagination and hopefully train me to stop being so ....well.... irritable and ....errrrr........grouchy.:smile2:

I knew when I picked it up that the lead had a fantastic power. That's OK... it's not totally impossible and I know real people in real life claim to have such and other equally amazing abilities. I just had to streeeeetch the imagination and accept it. I did, honest, before I even read the first line.

I quite enjoyed it.:shrug:

However, there were irritations that I cannot leave umentioned they included the names......... Harper and Tolliver???? I do wish they were 'easier' on the tongue. Such mouthfuls, particularly Tolliver. I ask you.

Why on earth did that girl have a teenage crush???? what brought THAT on? I was uncomfortable with the relationship between Harper and Tolliver too... either they are brother and sister or they're not. The stroking of the hands, 'wake up baby..' ing by Tolliver.......... creepy for a brother. The neediness of Harper when she is otherwise portrayed as one tough cookie. I am guessing this relationship will evolve in the future books in the series.

There were a lot of characters intoduced early on and sometimes it got quite confusing as to who was who and what they had to do with anything and who they were related to etc but in some ways that was a plus as it at least kept me focused. I am not the quickest at solving mysteries and so hadn't got the specifics sorted but I had picked up on the not-so-subtle hints thrown in. However, with it being so 'crowded' it could have been anybody. But that's a good thing in a who-dunnit isn't it?

All in all, this book was good for me. I enjoyed it.

Don't apologise for being grouchy. I'm fond of grouchy people. They might bark, but they rarely bite - at least the ones I know.

Oh my goodness I NEVER bite.

Most of the grouching is in my head. I am the only person I seem to make miserable. All very pointless.:)

I'm glad you actually liked Grave Sight in the end rwemad, at least I think you did :) I thought it was great :)

There are two followup books, Grave Surprise and An Ice Cold Grave (which I think is the best one).

Edited by Charm

I'm glad you actually liked Grave Sight in the end rwemad, at least I think you did :) I thought it was great :)

There are two followup books, Grave Surprise and An Ice Cold Grave (which I think is the best one).

Yeah I sort of think I did too :)

When I picked up Grave Sight I noticed An Ice Cold Grave but not Grave Surprise.

Do you think it will hurt to read them in the wrong order? or shall I request they get me a copy of Grave Surprise for me to read first?

Is There Anything you Want? by Margaret Forster ***

Well, I took some time over this one, not only because I didn't enjoy it quite so much as her others, because it has been a rugby weekend and the weather has been fab. It really cheers me up when the weather changes for the better. I have repotting my tomato seedlings and sorting out my seed beds etc.It's a sign of middle age you know... the potting and pottering in the garden. :)

Anyway, this book only got a 3* as, although I thought it was very well written, I really think that it is the most depressing book I have ever read. There were a lot of characters and none of them had anything to be chirpy about. At least none of them were ever chirpy about anything.

It wasn't sad in a he-didn't-get-home-for-Christmas-to-his-8-year-old-son or the-kid's-dog-died kind of way.......... it was just... well, depressing.

Margaret Forster gave us a real deep insight into how different people cope with unhappiness, illness, insecurity and misery in general. It left me realising that all of us have our worries and stresses and sometimes that makes people behave quite strangely.

The problem is, most of us know this. So, no matter how insightful or well written or how thought provoking it may be.... offer us a little bit of cheer to grab hold of puhleese.:)

Edited by rwemad

Do you think it will hurt to read them in the wrong order? or shall I request they get me a copy of Grave Surprise for me to read first?

Well there are a few references to Grave Surprise in An Ice Cold Grave so I would request Grave Surprise and read it first. :D

The Bird Room by Chris Killen **

This is another short first novel.

I really liked the first few pages, it is about a young guy who is clearly very insecure with his new girlfriend. Then, life got in the way and I had to keep putting it down and it all got very strange and confusing. Other characters were introduced but I'm not sure exactly how many as some seemed imaginary. Then I wasn't sure if two of them were the same person. I also couldn't see the point in them. All very odd. To be honest, I didn't think it worth my re reading the second half in one go, which I think would have probably made it all a bit clearer, as I lost interest a bit.

Having said the above, I will be interested in picking up Chris Killen's next book as for some reason I think I may like it.

The Bird Room is more, what I would consider, a 'bloke's book'. As odd as that term may seem, I think the guy's will probably appreciate the humour a little more and just generally 'get it'.

Edited by rwemad

The Ritual sounds interesting, think I'll add it to my wishlist :haha:. I've read Pig Island and found it to be a bit ... strange, is the most appropriate description I can think of! :D

I've got Things I Want My Daughters To Know on my bookshelf TBR too!

Pig Island by Mo Hayder****

Well, Charm. I find it fascinating that you should find Pig Island a bit well.... strange. Consequently I was expecting something quite weird. I'm not sure it was any stranger than Grave Sight. In fact I would say it was less strange.

I know, I know, ... it is a little bizarre but I found it was all within the realms of possibility. I liked Oaksey. He seemed an ordinary kind of guy caught up in an extraordinary situation which wasn't totally unbelievable. I mean there are some very strange characters about aren't there? And there are always freaks of nature.

I enjoyed this book. It was easy to read, gritty and kept me interested enough to read it all within a couple of days.

That's two of Mo Hayder's books that I have really enjoyed. I shall definately be looking for some more by her.

I have been given Penny Vincenzi's An Absolute Scandal for mother's day. It should keep me out of mischief for a while... all 880 pages of it!!!! I hope I like it. I've searched for it here and have only read a couple of good comments about it... no bad at all so it looks promising.

I think I have read An Absolute Scandal, I've read a few Penny Vincenzi anyway and generally enjoy them, she's a pretty easy read, I find her to almost be chick lit. style but a bit more thought provoking.

I think I have read An Absolute Scandal, I've read a few Penny Vincenzi anyway and generally enjoy them, she's a pretty easy read, I find her to almost be chick lit. style but a bit more thought provoking.

mmmmmmm it's a week later and I'm still plowing through it.

view so far? ... unnecessarily long :blush:.

Isn't my spelling awful?

I am still at it; I am cheating now and reading another alongside it. From now on An Absolute Scandal is going to be my 'in bed' book. It puts me to sleep lovely. :D

Edited by rwemad

Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell ****

I read this as a young teenager, pre 1984, and I recall thinking it very far fetched.

I was kind of hoping that I would find it boarding (see edit) on the ridiculous now but, scarily, it was more believable than I was comfortable with; more than a little unsettling I have to say. I also appreciate how cleverly it was written and the 'depth' of it far more now than I did then.

Certainly lots to think about.

:eek2: I still have An Absolute Scandal by the bed:blush:

EDIT: note to self - when posting in a forum with so many experienced readers, and possibly writers, offer it your full attention. Do not discuss water boarding with son at the same time or you just may confuse boarding with bordering.:D

Edited by rwemad

Copycat by Erica Spindler***

I very nearly gave this book a 4* as, considering it isn't 'my sort of book' I really enjoyed it. I'm not going to prattle on about what it was about as much more experienced people have done so much more eloquently than I could already. I don't want to bore the pants off everybody :smile2:.

I thought Copycat could legitimately be referred to as a 'page-turner'. I wasn't surprised at who it turned out to be but it did keep me guessing and I liked the way it kept twisting and turning. Yeah.... it was good.

I think Charm would enjoy it, should she not have read it already, as it is of a very similar style to Charlaine Harris. I confess to enjoying this one a little more as it didn't contain that touch of fantasy that the 'Grave' books have. I'm still going to read the next one of the Grave series though; it must be popular as the library have had to put my name on a list!!!

I am going to have a read of the short stories now, I've had a quick look and I know we aren't supposed to comment but we seem very fond of spiders here :).

By the way....... An Absolute Scandal is still by my bed :irked: oh the shame.

Edited by rwemad

Copycat by Erica Spindler***

II think Charm would enjoy it, should she not have read it already, as it is of a very similar style to Charlaine Harris.

Is this the book that the film with Sigourney Weaver and Harry Connick Jr are in is based on? I did like the film but of course didn't put two and two together and realise this was the book! I might check this out :smile2:

I can strongly recommend The Blue Nowhere ~by~ Jeffrey Deaver, it was sent to me on the book buddy swap by Ceinwenn. I think you might like it, its a brilliant thriller without the fantasy element :irked: