Rwemad 2009

rwemad

Don't be scared! I know exactly how you feel but you might surprise yourself, I did! I always read yours, always have, and you're page is on one of may subscribed ones :motz:

Well lets see, you told us your thoughts, a bit about the book along wiht an insight to the plot and helped me to make up my mind if I wanted to read it or not. A review! :)

So I'm reliably told by Ceinwenn constantly :motz:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't be scared! I know exactly how you feel but you might surprise yourself, I did! I always read yours, always have, and you're page is on one of may subscribed ones :motz:

Well lets see, you told us your thoughts, a bit about the book along wiht an insight to the plot and helped me to make up my mind if I wanted to read it or not. A review! :)

Awww shucks

She's right, you know! (I know because I told her, :lol:)

Crime by Ivine Welsh ****

A friend of mine has been putting some pretty severe pressure on me to read Trainspotting as he is certain I will like it. The library didn't have a copy so I picked up 'Crime' and 'Crime' has convinced me that I may like Trainspotting too. I have never seen the film or read any if Welsh's books before.

The story is all about Lennox, a Scottish copper who has suffered a nervous breakdown after leading a child murder investigation. Lennox hides behind drink and drugs to help him cope with the horror of paedophilia and child cruelty but eventually it all catches up with him and he takes leave to deal with his problems. He goes on holiday with his fiancee to Miami and gets tangled up in a paedophile ring involving bent cops and disadvantaged women.

The story itself isn't that unique: good cop/bad cop, old friend cop, cute kid, single struggling Mom, childhood issues. Some of the passages though are quite graphic and raw and paint a very depresing picture of how evil and calculating people can be. There are also parts that offer some depth into what role 'Crime' plays in society and how intelligent one has to be to be truly evil, rather than too stupid and/or naive to get unwittingly tangled in too deep to escape. However, the depth isn't consistent throughout and sometimes seems to lose it's way a little.

I enjoyed this book and I think it could be described as a thumping good read.

The Life & Soul of the Party by Mike Gayle*

Oh dear.

page 2

................He stretched and yawned. 'I haven't missed anything have I?'

'And what woud you do if you had?'

''Nothing much. It's not like it's worth crying over spilt milk is it?'

I should have put it away then really. However, I needed something cheery after 'Crime' and thought a Mike Gayle might be just the ticket. However, it was not cheery at all. It wasn't anything very much. A little too full of inappropriately placed cliches and lots of very strong cheesy lines.

It is written in the first person by a set of, edging towards middle age, friends in a sort of 'cold feet' fashion, set around a series of parties. The reader knows immediately that one chap is killed in a car crash and it is all about their lives/relationships (and there are a few) up to his death and how it effects their lives afterwards. Although it is always sad when a person dies young, it is hard to understand why this group 'loved' this fellow so much. I found him distinctly unlikeable, actually I wasn't particularly keen on any of them as they all seemed very self absorbed but perhaps that was the point. Perhaps this book has a depth and meaning that I just didn't recognise.

Should you be looking for a read to make you groan and roll the eyes then read this but otherwise, sorry, pretentious twoddle would sum it up nicely I think.

Never Let Me Go by Kazio Ishguro ****

On trying to describe how this book is written the first word that comes to mind is 'intimately'. I have been ill today and have read this whilst feeling sorry for myself in bed. Perhaps because I was in such a private and peaceful place I became completely absorbed by it, but it felt almost personal. Ideal for a winter evening in front of the fire.

The book is written in the first person and the language is simple. 'Kath' tells us her extraordinary story but the parallels with the ordinary are what, for me, make it so unsettling. The characters quiet acceptance of their place in society, the ability of people to ignore that which makes them uncomfortable and the feeling that our choices are somewhat limited when seeking to make a difference, are a few things to make this a book to think about long after the last page is finished.

It is an unusual story and I feel it is quite unique which makes it difficult to describe. Well worth reading, I highly recommend it.

I have read this, and your description is spot on. It is an enthralling read. It was a book circle read a couple of months ago, you should be able to find the thread through the search function if you're interested.

It does stay with you. The sheer ordinariness of it makes it stay with you.

Mr. Ishiguro is the king of understatement combined with undercurrent.

Mr. Ishiguro is the king of understatement combined with undercurrent.

Absolutely!!! I couldn't agree more.:D

Michelle kindly gave me the link to the thread but I wanted to put my thoughts here first so I wouldn't be influenced.

I have been thinking how to add my thoughts to everybody else's and am about to head over there now.:D

A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami *****

Well............ another holiday read bites the dust before I even think about packing.:D

This is not the most bizarre book I have ever read, but it is the most bizarre I have enjoyed so much. It is about an ordinary bloke getting dragged in to some very strange, but serious, goings on which are centered around a sheep - hence the chase.

The lead character is totally likeable (utterly adorable actually :)), he is funny, easy-going and incredibly 'normal'; every time I started to struggle and think that this book may be a little too weird for my taste, I was reeled back in, he was like the anchor to reality.

I don't know if it were just me, but as a little kid I used to think that the house and world behaved differently when I wasn't around... perhaps a different language or different rules. It's possible I think this as being the youngest I figured they wanted me in bed first so they could all get on with 'living' and I could hear the rest of them having a fine old time downstairs without me (Iknow, I know I was a little odd but I'm OK now :))anyway, this feeling of the world and its people behaving in a different way is happening to our man in this book. A candid camera sort of thing that the immediate world around him is playing, he recognises how surreal the world around him is becoming and at some point questions whether they're all having a bit of a laugh........ he isn't sure enough to pooh pooh it entirely but does do a little bit of macho, puffing chest out stuff for appearances sake. All good fun and a pleasure to read but then it does turn darker and I wasn't quite sure I liked the ending.

The writing is as impressive as I hoped; some fabulous poetic phrases and some passages that I read twice simply because I thought they were truly awesome: the way the characters are created so easily, the scenery described naturally, the language so simple but oh so effective, there is no arrogance in his style. I really wish I could write like that. Totally brilliant.

So I'm torn, I want to give the 5* because of the writing but I did find the strangeness of the story a little much sometimes so consequently I didn't enjoy it as much as After Dark.

I have ordered Dance Dance Dance, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle and Norwegian Wood from a well known on line store though :).

And I have ordered The Remains of The Day and The Unconsoled by Kazuo Ishiguro

Edited by rwemad

Another lovely review. I have this on my shelf ready to read. I can't wait. I also bought The Remains of the Day last weekend, so I'm looking forward to that, n'all!

Eeee...I love Murakami...:)

What You Make It by Michael Marshall Smith***

This is a selction of short stories, 18 of them to be precise, that I picked up in the library because it was written by an author recommended right here on this forum.... thanks Mac:)

I love reading short stories, but this book I think may be better as being one kept on the book shelf that can be dipped in and out of. I think I've overdosed by reading them all in one shot. I think that MMS has a very distinctive style and so each story was blurring into the other a little. He is clever with characterisation though, I mean some of the characters I was convinced were great, funny, likeable guys and then ... uh oh.

it is difficult to write very much as I don't want to spoil anything for anybody and I am not going to use that 'highlight to view spoiler' thing because I know most of you look when you really don't want to. Don't you?

Yeah they were good.... weird .... but good. Glad I picked it up.

What You Make It by Michael Marshall Smith***

I love reading short stories, but this book I think may be better as being one kept on the book shelf that can be dipped in and out of. I think I've overdosed by reading them all in one shot. I think that MMS has a very distinctive style and so each story was blurring into the other a little. He is clever with characterisation though, I mean some of the characters I was convinced were great, funny, likeable guys and then ... uh oh.

Yeah they were good.... weird .... but good. Glad I picked it up.

Yes I agree with the overdosing issue, it's hard not to though, that is why I have been reading them slowly on the side of other books, I was enjoying them and it felt odd going straight from one story into another....I want to savour the taste lol

Glad you enjoyed it overall, I have yet to finish it but enjoying every second when reading.

Dexter in the Dark by Jeff Lindsay **

This was OK but, if I'm going to be totally honest, I was disappointed. I know he has a firm and loyal fan base here, sorry:lurker:.

I have not read any other Dexter books and neither have I seen any tv or films, so have nothing to compare it with. I don't want to write anything about the plot for fear of spoiling it for anybody.Also it can be done so much more effectively by somebody who 'gets' him.

It started quite strange but I was able to section that bit off in the 'that's the ridiculous bit done with' part of my head, (ie my 'imagination'). Unfortunately the 'abnormal' ramblings about Gods and alien/supernatural beings, became more frequent and just a little too much for my imagination to cope with. I struggled with the paranormal/fantasy bits as they took over everything else and made a nonsense of the story.

Having said that I can see why it appeals, I enjoyed some of it: the family bits, the car chase, Dexter's chats with his fiancee and foster sister, all the 'normal' bits really.

I wish I had taken to it..... really, it's a shame for me I think that my head just won't let me deal with that sort of thing as I think he write's very entertainingly; when he isn't away with the gods and fairies or spooky little ghost men. :censored:

Aww :motz: ... I'm sorry you didn't like this rwemad :censored: Although I'm sure he's not everyones taste. I haven't read this one, its the third of a series but I really enjoyed the first two. Oh well ... better luck with your next read! :motz:

Aww :006: ... I'm sorry you didn't like this rwemad :welcome: Although I'm sure he's not everyones taste. I haven't read this one, its the third of a series but I really enjoyed the first two. Oh well ... better luck with your next read!

Hate to say it but, I`ve read other poor reviews of Dexter in the Dark.

You should read the first two Rwemad, they are very good.

I think what I will do is look out for what you guys think of it and decide from there whether to read any others.

I really am disappointed as the 'fun' bits were funny, and the 'good' (all relative and personal I know) were very good. It's just ... eeeeahhh... when you read it you'll know what I mean :smile2::D.

The Intruders by Michael Marshall ****

Wow.

This is a fantastic book.

An early retired cop has moved out of the city to a house chosen by his wife, who is successful 'in advertising'. It is all very idyllic: beautiful house, scenery, wife, no money worries etc but a visit from an old friend and a lost phone ensures our reluctant hero is dragged into a parallel world riddled with weird and extraordinary goings on. The last 100 or so pages are better described as a supernatural fantasy than a thriller, consequently I couldn't bring myself to give it the full 5* as I think this was unnecessary, it was all so real and he is obviously a brilliant writer so why wander into the bizarre? However, I do highly recommend this book.

Having siad the above, The Intruders had me hooked before the paranormal element became evident and the transition from the gritty, 'real' thriller to a supernatural 'soft horror' was carried out in a Stephen King sort of fashion; very, very clever and I am pretty sure that few writers can carry it off quite so skillfully or effectively.

There are some really realistic and insightful passages. I love the way some authors, and this seems to be one of them, can awaken ideas and thoughts in me that I never even knew were there. I sometimes read a short passage and it's like those words have been sat in my subconscious and it makes me think, 'yeah, that's it! that's exactly it!'. It is a book that feeds off the uncertainties of people and their understanding of the way the mind works, how our personalities and characters are formed, self doubt, mood swings. Or perhaps that's just me.

I have been visiting my good old friend the well known on line store again. I really must stop it :welcome:.

I'm glad you liked this! i really enjoyed it but it got a luke warm response from my friends who had read it- they didnt like it as much as his other books!

Have you read The Straw Men?

It was a littlwe to creepy at times though! Scared me before I went to sleep!

rwemad - I bought Dexter in the Dark last week & sneakily read the 1st chapter when I bought it, while sitting in a caf with a lovely Chai tea latte (as you do, lol) & I know exactly what you are talking about regarding the begining...........I had been hoping that the "prologue" was something that wasn't a vein through the book. Hmmm, I really hope I like this book.

Have you read The Straw Men?

Well, as it happens 'The Straw Men', 'The Lonely Dead' and 'Blood of Angels' all jumped into the virtual basket with the one book I intended to buy.I must stop them doing that! It happens almost everytime I go in!!!!

The Life You Longed For by Maribeth Fischer***

This book was very difficult to '*' but I am at a loss as to explain why. There is no real spoilers to offer, it is what it is.

Grace is a married Mom of three, Jack, her youngest son, has been diagnosed with a terminal condition. The story is about how she copes in the months prior to, and immediately after, his death. In the final weeks of his life her son is put in the care of the state as 'someone' has reported she may be suffering from Munchausen syndrome by proxy. The deciding factor to nail her as fitting the profile of a MSBP Mom, is that she is having an affair with an old flame. The reader knows this from the very beginning, unlike her husband who only finds out when he too is prevented from removing his son from hospital. So, the last two weeks of her son's life she only has limited, supervised access, but she does make it to him at the very end.

It all sounds so dreadfully sad. So why wasn't I reading it whilst sobbing uncontrollably? I just don't know.

I think perhaps I wanted to focus on Jack more and a little less on Grace. In other words I wanted the story to be about Jack but, it's not my book and the writer wanted a story about a Mom and that's that.

A plus point: this book must have been researched really well, at least I hope it was. Grace is an academic scientist with a masters degree and there are lots of facts, some of them very random and pointless, about all science disciplines throughout the book which, for me, became a little pointless and tiresome; as are the constant references to birds. But again, it is a sign of how Grace copes and the book is all about Grace coping, clinically and outwardly coldly it would seem. Another reason for them to suspect her I suppose. I know, her son is dying/died, so why can't I be thinking 'poor Grace, poor Grace'? I am of course, but I am thinking more 'poor Jack, poor husband, siblings etc'.

I am not sure if I didn't just fail to appreciate the horror of it all sufficiently but part of me was thinking that children do not get removed so easilly... do they?

A strange one. It should have been heartbreaking and I can't quite put my finger on why I didn't find it so. I would be interested to know what other readers make of it, particularly those working in paediatrics. I'm glad I read it though.

Well, as it happens 'The Straw Men', 'The Lonely Dead' and 'Blood of Angels' all jumped into the virtual basket with the one book I intended to buy.I must stop them doing that! It happens almost everytime I go in!!!!

Oh me too! It has just happened to me tonight actually! let me know what you think of the books! they are very creepy!