Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2009

Kylie

Hello there :(

I've been debating whether or not to read Goldman's The Princess Bride for some time. I'd love to know what you think of it when you get around to reading it, Kylie :(.

And I see that you're reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde currently. How do you like it thus far?

Edited by Andaira

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been debating whether or not to read Goldman's The Princess Bride for some time. I'd love to know what you think of it when you get around to reading it, Kylie :(.

EVERYONE should read that book! It's a straight 10/10 read. :(

Terry Pratchett: Equal Rites (Discworld #2)

It's actually the 3rd book ni the Discworld series, but as the first two aren't much cop by comparison, I count it as the first of merit! :roll:

Edited by Kell
merged

EVERYONE should read that book! It's a straight 10/10 read. :(

It's on my shelf because you rate it so highly Kell.. but it hasn't yelled loud enough for me to pick up!

It's on my shelf because you rate it so highly Kell.. but it hasn't yelled loud enough for me to pick up!

*laughs* That just gave me a mental image of books in your shelf jumping up and down, waving, and going "pick me, pick me!" I should go to bed.

*laughs* That just gave me a mental image of books in your shelf jumping up and down, waving, and going "pick me, pick me!" I should go to bed.

:( Haha, awww, that's a really cute image. If it were true, some of mine would be screaming and swearing at me by this point. Bless em!

From your list I would pick Terry Pratchett and Enid Blyton The Magic Faraway Tree (my Mum used to read those to me when I was small and I loved them!)

Thanks for the recommendations, KB! I counted up my Terrry Pratchett novels yesterday and I've built up a collection of 9. It's been sneakily growing without me noticing, so I'd like to get through at least 2 of them this year (I've already read The Colour of Magic).

It's actually the 3rd book ni the Discworld series, but as the first two aren't much cop by comparison, I count it as the first of merit! :lol:

Oops, I've edited the original post. Thanks Kell! I think you've had to correct me on that before. I'll learn eventually! :lol:

I've been debating whether or not to read Goldman's The Princess Bride for some time. I'd love to know what you think of it when you get around to reading it, Kylie ;).

Like Michelle, it's largely on Kell's recommendation that I bought The Princess Bride. I wasn't as rapt in the movie as some people are, but I think I'll enjoy reading the humour more than watching it. :D

And I see that you're reading The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde currently. How do you like it thus far?

I finished the story yesterday and really enjoyed it. I loved the writing style and the way the story built to its conclusion. It reminded me a little of The Picture of Dorian Gray. There are still several other short stories in the book to read, which I've only just started.

I recommend The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly

Thanks, Supergran! It was because of all the recommendations on here that I bought this book, and I think I'm really going to enjoy it! (BCF recommendations have never let me down yet!) :lol:

Such organization! I'm just going to comment on a few books my eyes fell over:

I had to read Things Fall Apart for my humanities class, and I was so enthralled with it. It really is one of those that shakes you at the similarities between two things but how they are treated so differently.

I also have The Sea in my TBR pile as well.

I loved Dandelion Wine and plan on reading more things by Bradbury this year.

I absolutely loved Saving Francesca and Looking for Alibrandi. Marchetta is a phenomenal YA author. I didn't even know she had a new book (Jellicoe Road) until I read this post. I'm making a trip to the library very soon!

My life's ambition is to find time to read Atlas Shrugged. It will probably happen over the summer, it just requires a huge amount of time and dedication.

Good luck!

Such organization! I'm just going to comment on a few books my eyes fell over:

I had to read Things Fall Apart for my humanities class, and I was so enthralled with it. It really is one of those that shakes you at the similarities between two things but how they are treated so differently.

I also have The Sea in my TBR pile as well.

I loved Dandelion Wine and plan on reading more things by Bradbury this year.

I absolutely loved Saving Francesca and Looking for Alibrandi. Marchetta is a phenomenal YA author. I didn't even know she had a new book (Jellicoe Road) until I read this post. I'm making a trip to the library very soon!

My life's ambition is to find time to read Atlas Shrugged. It will probably happen over the summer, it just requires a huge amount of time and dedication.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your comments! I love reading other people's thoughts on my books.

Hmm, I might have to bump Things Fall Apart up the list. That's a great recommendation! I really loved Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, and his short stories are terrific as well. I recently read Something Wicked This Way Comes, which was fairly good, but freaked me out a bit. I suppose it's a good thing when a book can elicit such a reaction.

I'm glad to find another fan of Melina Marchetta. Looking for Alibrandi is a school text here; I studied it in year 12, as I recall. I'm looking forward to reading the other two that I have. A friend of mine particularly recommended Jellicoe Road was terrific.

I think if I had to list all my books in the order that I plan to read them, Atlas Shrugged would probably be the last book on the list. It sounds interesting but I find it really daunting. You'll probably get to it before me, in which case I'll be very interested to see you what you think!

Have you read anything else by John Banville? I think he's such a terrific writer (based on the 1 book of his I've read :lol:).

Like Michelle, it's largely on Kell's recommendation that I bought The Princess Bride. I wasn't as rapt in the movie as some people are, but I think I'll enjoy reading the humour more than watching it. :lol:

I haven't seen the movie (and perhaps a good thing too since i prefer to read the book before seeing the movie) but it just so happens that I found the only copy currently at my favorite library today. I'll be reading the book very, very soon :lol:.

I'm really struggling with the rest of the short stories in Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde. I just want the book to be over with now so I can move on. Still, I'm going to persevere with it although I'll probably put it aside for a few days so I can read other books on my holiday.

I started The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly the other day. So far, so good.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't updated this since I finished Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde and Other Stories by Robert Louis Stevenson and The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly, so I'll quickly jot down a couple of thoughts and move on.

I loved the story of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde but struggled with several of the other short stories included in my edition. It finally picked up with the last story though, and overall it was an enjoyable read. I gave it 8/10, and that rating doesn't include the stories I struggled through. :lol:

I thought The Book of Lost Things was wonderful. It was dark and gruesome (surprisingly so), and I loved the twisted take on the fairy tales. The ending was great, and a little sad. I closed the book with a sigh when I finished. I was one satisfied reader. :D Rating: 9/10. Having just reflected back on the book, I realise that it was even more terrific then I realised at the time (if that makes sense!)

I thought The Book of Lost Things was wonderful. It was dark and gruesome (surprisingly so), and I loved the twisted take on the fairy tales. The ending was great, and a little sad. I closed the book with a sigh when I finished. I was one satisfied reader. :lol:

YAY! I'm so glad you enjoyed it! :D

I'm really struggling with the rest of the short stories in Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde. I just want the book to be over with now so I can move on. Still, I'm going to persevere with it although I'll probably put it aside for a few days so I can read other books on my holiday.

I started The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly the other day. So far, so good.

Oh I hope you like Dr Jekyll in the end :lol:. Both he and The Book of Lost Things are on my wishlist!

I enjoyed the story of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde very much, Charm. I just struggled with some of the other stories that followed it. I would say that if you can only find the original story itself, and not an edition with all the other stories, you wouldn't be missing too much. :irked:

I hope you enjoy The Book of Lost Things! It really is a wonderful story, and deserving of all the praise heaped on it, in my opinion. :D

I finished Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden the other day. This is the first book in my favourite series of young adult fiction. I must have read it at least half a dozen times but I never get sick of it. :D I usually read the books one after another but this time I'm going to try to space them out throughout the year.

I'm a little disappointed with my reading effort in February. I only completed 3 books, but I also started The Grapes of Wrath. I'm yet to decide if it will count as a February or March read as I'm less than 100 pages into it.

I just realised that I got through the entire month of February without buying a single book! :) I can't remember the last time that happened. Usually I buy anywhere from half a dozen to 20+ books. I did receive two reference books though...

And my total book buying for the year stands at 1.

I think I must be coming down with something! This surely isn't normal behaviour for a book-lover? My friend at work mentioned today that we haven't been to a certain bookshop in quite a while. She wants to go in a few weeks so I'll see how I go. :)