Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2009

Kylie

I finished The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde yesterday. It was a really enjoyable read and I found myself chuckling out loud at times. I'm looking forward to discussing it with everyone else when the reading circle rolls around in a few days. 9/10

Now I'm reading Haruki Murakami's South of the Border, West of the Sun. It's reasonably short and I'm almost 90 pages in already. If all goes well, I should finish it tomorrow.

I haven't bought a book for 40 days!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde yesterday. It was a really enjoyable read and I found myself chuckling out loud at times. I'm looking forward to discussing it with everyone else when the reading circle rolls around in a few days. 9/10

Now I'm reading Haruki Murakami's South of the Border, West of the Sun. It's reasonably short and I'm almost 90 pages in already. If all goes well, I should finish it tomorrow.

I haven't bought a book for 40 days!

Proof that anyone can do anything.

:lol: I knew I would get a comment from you!

I have 3 hours to kill in Sydney before going to meet my partner at the airport. Dymocks is open for at least another hour and I have a $50 voucher in my wallet...:lol: I think the drought is about to break!

I have 3 hours to kill in Sydney before going to meet my partner at the airport. Dymocks is open for at least another hour and I have a $50 voucher in my wallet...:lol: I think the drought is about to break!

LOL, I think it is a pretty safe bet!

LOL, most likely. Good run tho. :)

See, Dan and Adam, if you'd tried to talk me out of it, you may have succeeded. But seeing as you have no faith in me, I may as well live up to my reputation! :lol: :lol:

I'm a little disappointed that I haven't quite lasted the whole month of July without buying a book...but not disappointed enough to try and stick it out for another couple of days!

See, Dan and Adam, if you'd tried to talk me out of it, you may have succeeded. But seeing as you have no faith in me, I may as well live up to my reputation! :lol: :lol:

I'm a little disappointed that I haven't quite lasted the whole month of July without buying a book...but not disappointed enough to try and stick it out for another couple of days!

I know a hopeless cause when I see one Kylie. No point banging my head against a brick wall. Spend away!

• 2 weeks later...

I finished South of the Border, West of the Sun by Haruki Murakami a while back. I thought it was an excellent book. I could identify with certain aspects of the characters and I look forward to reading a lot more by this author.

I also read The Diving-Bell and the Butterfly by Jean-Dominique Bauby. It's such a sad story, but amazing too.

Now I'm reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I'm over halfway through and thoroughly enjoying it. I'm taking every opportunity I can find to read a little more, which is surely the sign of a great book!

I'm taking every opportunity I can find to read a little more, which is surely the sign of a great book!

It really is! :D I'm glad you're enjoying it. I'm not sure it appeals to me, but so many people seem to like it. Hmmm - I guess I'm missing out!

I really wasn't sure it appealed to me either, but I'd heard so many good reviews and I saw a practically brand-new copy going very cheap, so I just couldn't resist! Even then I had to talk myself into reading it and it's only because the book has popped up into various book clubs lately that I thought I should read it now or I'd never get around to it. I'm so glad I did! Maybe I can convert you like I was converted :D

Now I'm reading Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. I'm over halfway through and thoroughly enjoying it. I'm taking every opportunity I can find to read a little more, which is surely the sign of a great book!

I saw this for sale at the store a couple weeks ago. It appealed to me. I have heard good reviews from it too, plus it sounds like your really enjoying it. I think I should just go buy it :D

I was glad to see on the other thread that you bought it, Adam! I finished it yesterday and will post my thoughts a bit later.

I'm now reading The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton and, because it's a little embarrassing to be reading that one in public, I've also started on Extras by Scott Westerfeld.

I'm now reading The Magic Faraway Tree by Enid Blyton

My Mum read this to me and my younger brother when we were small - one of my favourite childhood memories, great books!

I finished Extras by Scott Westerfeld just now. I'm very pleased with my reading over the last couple of months (14 books in six weeks). I'm really back into my reading groove and I'm flying through my TBR pile, which is a good thing because there's a big book fair coming up in about 6 weeks, and the more I read before then, the less guilty I will feel when I go on a buying spree! :D

Coming up is the next Trixie Belden book on my TBR pile: Trixie Belden and the Mystery on the Mississippi by Kathryn Kenny.

II'm really back into my reading groove and I'm flying through my TBR pile, which is a good thing because there's a big book fair coming up in about 6 weeks, and the more I read before then, the less guilty I will feel when I go on a buying spree! :irked:

May the spirit of BCF guide you at the book fair! :D

Girl, I like your logic! :D

I'm really back into my reading groove and I'm flying through my TBR pile, which is a good thing because there's a big book fair coming up in about 6 weeks, and the more I read before then, the less guilty I will feel when I go on a buying spree! :irked:

I like your way of thinking Kylie and I am really pleased you enjoyed South of the Border, West of the Sun:D

Thanks Gyre. I'm so pleased to have found Murakami. I'm really hoping to find more of his works at the book fair next month. :D

I finished my Trixie Belden book earlier and now I'm going to start Bogus to Bubbly: An Insider's Guide to the World of Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. It's a companion guide to the series I just finished reading. Looks good!

Thanks Gyre. I'm so pleased to have found Murakami. I'm really hoping to find more of his works at the book fair next month. :D

I finished my Trixie Belden book earlier and now I'm going to start Bogus to Bubbly: An Insider's Guide to the World of Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. It's a companion guide to the series I just finished reading. Looks good!

I hope you find some too Kylie, happy reading :irked:

My slightly overdue thoughts on Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides.

For a book that I was quite wary of reading (a story about a hermaphrodite didn't sound like one that was likely to be particularly happy, and frankly, it just didn't appeal to me), this book blew me away.

It's such an epic story, tracing the history of Cal's family back a couple of generations. The stories of all of Cal's family members were interesting and their characters were very well written; especially the ways in which they changed as they grew older.

As for the settings themselves: Smyrna, Detroit, Middlesex, and Cal's hitch-hiking days - all were very atmospheric and made for entertaining and enjoyable reading.

When things took a little twist towards the end, and a very unexpected thing happened, I got a little upset with the direction the story took, but I think this reflects more on Eugenides ability as a story-teller. I got so sucked into the story that I was reading every spare second I got and thinking about it when I wasn't reading it.

I can't recommend this book highly enough and I'm so glad I listened to all the rave reviews and tried it for myself! 10/10