Gyre's Reading Adventures 2009!

Weave

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You definitely have been lucky. :lol:. I'm not working either; I spend 10 hours a week at Uni and the rest I have off! I get distracted by this website :lol:

:lol:

You're certainly having a cracker of a year so far, Gyre! I hope it continues for you. It's great to see you enjoying your reading so much. :lol:

Thanks Kylie :lol:

Sleep, Pale Sister by Joanne Harris ~ Started: 27.01.09 ~ Finished: 02.02.09

Synopsis ~

Henry Chester, a domineering and puritanical Victorian artist, is in search of the perfect model. In nine-year-old Effie he finds her. Ten years later, lovely, childlike and sedated, Effie seems the ideal wife. But something inside her is about to awaken. Drawn by her lover, Mose, into a dangerous underworld of intrigue and blackmail, she meets Fanny Miller, the brothel-keeper, and her shadowy daughter, Marta - murdered ten years ago on the day of Henry's weekly visit...And as friendship becomes possession and Henry's secret past is revealed, Effie and Marta plan their revenge together.

'Sleep, Pale Sister' is one of Joanne Harris's earliest novels and due to popular demand was re~released and when you read it, you will find out why. Sleep, Pale Sister tells the story of Effie and the men in her life who set out to hurt in the cruelest manner possible. Effie finds a way to have her revenge in this dark novel. The chapters are told from the perspective of each separate characters which makes the story more interesting, you find out more about their pasts, the people they are.

A very dark, very gothic and interesting book.

Rating: 10/10

41284V6NQYL_SS500_.jpg

It's official, I'm definitely adding Sleep, Pale Sister to my TBR pile. This book sounds amazing and just what I would love to read. Thanks for the review, Gyre!

No problem :P

Child of God by Cormac McCarthy ~ Started: 03.02.09 ~ Finished: 04.02.09

Synopsis ~

By the author of the critically acclaimed Border Trilogy, "Child of God" is a taut, chilling novel that plumbs the depths of human degradation. Lester Ballard, a violent, solitary and introverted young backwoodsman dispossessed on his ancestral land, is released from jail and allowed to haunt the hill country of East Tennessee, preying on the population with his strange lusts. McCarthy transforms commonplace brushes with humanity - in homesteads, stores and in the woods - into stunning scenes of the comic and the grotesque, and as the story hurtles toward its unforgettable conclusion, depicts the most sordid aspects of life with dignity, humour, and characteristic lyrical brilliance.

This is the third book I have read by Cormac McCarthy, the first two being, 'The Road' and 'Outer Dark' and I am fast becoming a fan of his work. I enjoyed reading 'Child of God' but there was so much cruelness and bleakness, it was quite hard to read at times. The main character, Lester Ballard is a man who has been forgotten and because of this he does what he pleases, the small town surrounding him, know Lester for who he is but can not prove it.

As much as I enjoyed reading 'Child of God', I would not class it as a favourite Cormac McCarthy (I know I have loads more titles to go). Cormac McCarthy writes in such a manner that you think you should feel sorry for Lester but I did not, I found him to be a low character, a man who deserved to receive justice for his crimes, also Cormac McCarthy's use of language in 'Child of God' is a bit harsh and certain words are mentioned, which would not be mentioned now but they fit in well with the timeframe of the book.

A book which does give you something to think about.

Rating: 7/10 (because of Lester, he was horrible)

51Kq8tbGaVL_SS500_.jpg

Edited by Weave

Ring by Koji Suzuki ~ Started: 08.02.09 ~ Finished: 10.02.09

Synopsis ~

Stunning, cutting-edge thriller with a chilling supernatural twist from Japan's stylish new literary star. Asakawa is a hardworking journalist who has climbed his way up from local-news beat reporter to writer for his newspaper's weekly magazine. A chronic workaholic, he doesn't take much notice when his seventeen-year-old niece dies suddenly -- until a chance conversation reveals that another healthy teenager died at exactly the same time, in chillingly similar circumstances. Sensing a story, Asakawa begins to investigate, and soon discovers that this strange simultaneous sudden-death syndrome also affected another two teenagers. Exactly one week before their mysterious deaths the four teenagers all spent the night at a leisure resort in the same log cabin. When Asakawa visits the resort, the mystery only deepens. A comment made in the guest book by one of the teenagers leads him to a particular vidoetape. When he watches it, instead of a movie he finds an odd collection of disparate images with a portentous message at the end: Those who have viewed these images are fated to die at this exact hour one week from now. Asakawa finds himself in a race against time -- he has only seven days to find the cause of the teenagers' deaths before it finds him. The hunt puts him on the trail of an apocalytpic power that will force Asakawa to choose between saving his family and saving civilization.

I have seen the film 'Ring' the US version and the Japanese version and both scared me differently, I did not sit through the US version because certain parts scared me and the Japanese version just terrified me to the core.

The book is a lot better than the film, there is a lot more tension and you find out more about Sadako and what she is capable of doing, how far she will go.

'Ring' did have tense moments and scary moments, I liked the psychological horror, the fact I was reading the book and pretty much convinced myself that someone was standing behind me showed how engrossing the story is.

The characters were well written, I found Ryuji interesting and slightly worrying because there was so many aspects of his personality, it was hard to read him, a very complex character. I liked Asakawa too who you see changing as the story progresses, at the start he annoyed me with his thoughts on his wife and child but the situation he finds himself in made him appreciate them more.

All in all a good read.

I have just started reading 'Spiral', the sequel to 'Ring'

Rating: 7/10

Also for added infomation ~

Kell's review of 'Ring'

41RT1D3CDYL_SS500_.jpg

Edited by Kell
Corrected the link for you. ;)

I didn't know this was a book, either!

I've honestly never read a horror book (I guess this is what it would be called?) so not sure how I'd do.. I like the films though, so maybe I'll give it a shot sometime. :)

Let us know how you get on w/the sequel!

• 2 weeks later...

Blue Diary by Alice Hoffman ~ Started: 17.02.09 ~ Finished: 20.02.09

Synopsis ~

When Ethan Ford fails to show up for work on a brilliant summer morning, none of his neighbors would guess that for more than thirteen years, he has been running from his past. His true nature has been locked away, as hidden as his real identity. But sometimes locks spring open, and the devastating truths of Ethan Ford's history shatter the small-town peace of Monroe, affecting family and friends alike.

'Blue Diary' was a interesting read, right from the start I found myself engrossed. Ethan Ford, dedicated family man, pillar of the commuity has a secret past and suddenly it is brought to light. Every chapter is told from a character's point of view, Jorie, Nathan's wife, Collie, Nathan and Jorie's son, Kat, Collie's best friend, Charlotte, Jorie's best friend and Nathan. All of the characters are explored in a way that is easy to read, they are all dealing with what has happened to Nathan and Jorie, while at the same time, coping with their own problems.

The main theme I found in 'Blue Diary' was the act of forgiveness and ultimately is it possible to forget the past.

All in a good read, highly recommend.

Rating: 8/10

41DBFZPC74L_SS500_.jpg

I've wanted to read this for a while now but can't decide if it's worth buying (unfortunately there are a lot of Alice Hoffman's novels in the library but not this one! :lol:). I'm glad you liked it :D

Every chapter is told from a character's point of view, Jorie, Nathan's wife, Collie, Nathan and Jorie's son, Kat, Collie's best friend, Charlotte, Jorie's best friend and Nathan.

I find this usually very annoying and confusing. To me the ideal structure for this novel would have been the point of view of Nathan's wife. So I guess I'm still clueless about this book :D:D

Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror by Chris Priestley & David Roberts ~ Started: 21.02.09 ~ Finished: 22.02.09 (a minute past 12 :) )

Synopsis ~

This spine-tingling, thrill-packed novel has more than enough fear-factor for the most ardent fan of scary stories. Uncle Montague lives alone in a big house, but regular visits from his nephew, Edward, give him the opportunity to recount some of the most frightening stories he knows. As each tale unfolds, it becomes clear that something sinister is in the air. From the account of a curious boy who intrudes on Old Mother Tallow's garden to a shy girl's ghostly encounter during an innocent game of hide and seek, a pattern emerges of young lives gone awry in the most terrifying of ways. Young Edward begins to wonder just how Uncle Montague knows all these ghastly tales, and ultimately discovers that his mysterious uncle's life has a darker side than he ever imagined. This cleverly wrought collection of stories-within-a-story by Chris Priestly is perfectly matched in darkly witty illustrations by David Roberts.

I discovered 'Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror' whilst looking for the synopsis for 'The Graveyard Book' by Neil Gaiman and I am glad I invested in it because ''Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror' is a quirky, wonderful book, scary tales told to Edward by his mysterious Uncle Montague, are his stories true or are they are imaginary? read and find out.

An excellent read, great stories, memorable characters, lovely illustrations and loads of twists in the tales, something to share in the future with my nieces and nephews.

I am looking forward to reading 'Tales of Terror from the Black Ship' by Chris Priestley & David Roberts

Rating: 10/10

51sGdAYFKXL_SS500_.jpg