Gyre's Reading Adventures 2009!

Weave

Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury ~ Started: 03.05.09 ~ Finished: 11.05.09

Synopsis ~

It's the week before Hallowe'en, and Cooger and Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show has come to Green Town, Illinois. The siren song of the calliope entices all with promises of youth regained and dreams fulfilled . . . And as two boys trembling on the brink of manhood set out to explore the mysteries of the dark carnival's smoke, mazes and mirrors, they will also discover the true price of innermost wishes . . .

51MRDdIoaYL_SS500_.jpg

This was another gem of a book by Ray Bradbury, I really enjoyed it. 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' tells the story of Will Halloway and Jim Nightshade (I love Jim's surname), best friends since birth, born within minutes of each other (Will was born one minute before 12 on the 30th October and Jim was born one minute after 12 on the 31st October), at the beginning of the story they are on verge of becoming fourteen years old, their world changes on the 24th October when the Cooger and Dark's Pandemonium Shadow Show arrives in their home town of Green Town, Illinois, suddenly everything they know takes a a dark turn and they are no longer young boys but young men.

'Something Wicked This Way Comes' has so many themes in it, love, friendship, the fight between good and evil, etc, and they are well written, especially the relationship between Will and his Dad, Charles, who feels he is too old to be Will's Dad, because he got married late in life, what I found lovely was Will's love for his Dad, he saw so much more in him than his Dad did, it made me think, do all parents feel this way?, that they are never good enough for their children? (I know that is a bit random).

All in all 'Something Wicked This Way Comes' is a classic book, which should be read more than once.

Rating: 10/10

Edited by Weave

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you enjoyed it, Gyre. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I found it more than a little disturbing and scary. :readingtwo: Still, a good read. Ray Bradbury certainly can write, can't he?

Glad you enjoyed it, Gyre. I can't quite put my finger on why, but I found it more than a little disturbing and scary. :readingtwo: Still, a good read. Ray Bradbury certainly can write, can't he?

Thanks Kylie, I did it find quite disturbing and scary but I agree, a great read. Ray Bradbury is such a cool writer :D

Hmmm...this is not a book I have read and I clearly need to purchase it.

Dammit, Paula! Stop costing me money! :D

:readingtwo:

Argh, I was just looking on my bookshelves and it turns out I don't The Illustrated Man after all. :D I'll have to track it down now. ;)

:readingtwo::friends0:Kylie :lol:

Haunted by Kelley Armstrong ~ Started: 11.05.09 ~ Finished: 18.05.09

Synopsis ~

Eve Levine - half-demon, black witch and devoted mother - has been dead for three years. She has a great house, an interesting love life and can't be killed again - which comes in handy when you've made as many enemies as Eve. Yes, the afterlife isn't too bad - all she needs to do is find a way to communicate with her daughter Savannah and she'll be happy. But fate - or more exactly, the Fates - have other plans. Eve owes them a favour, and they've just called it in. An evil spirit called the Nix has escaped from hell. She feeds on chaos and death, and is very good at persuading people to kill for her. The Fates want Eve to hunt her down before she does any more damage, but the Nix is a dangerous enemy - previous hunters have been sent mad in the process. As if that's not problem enough, it turns out that the only way to stop her is with an angel's sword. And Eve's no angel...

'Haunted' is the fifth book in 'The Women of the Otherworld' series and this time the story is focused on Eve Levine (Savannah from 'Stolen', 'Dime Store Magic' and 'Industrial Magic' mother).

I enjoyed ‘Haunted’ but not as much as the previous books, I just did not take to the character of Eve, I understood her but at times, she really annoyed me. The story was interesting but at times I felt like Eve was being pushed to unbelievable limits, I know Eve is dead but surely there is only so much she can do?

Krisof (Savannah’s father) was very much a welcome character in ‘Haunted’, he understood Eve, which was nice to read and it was interesting reading how their relationship developed.

Recommended (but as mentioned, Eve really annoys me).

Rating: 7/10

Hauntedfifthbook.jpg

Yeah I wasn't as keen on Eve either Gyre, but it was still an interesting book :smile2:

I agree, it was interesting, I enjoyed the Lizzie Borden part :welcome:

Hey Gyre not posted on here for a long time, been quite busy. Hope the reading is coming along well. :welcome:

Hi Ben, its going well, thanks :smile2: x

Glad to here it, I've got a blog and things now, but it's a bit unfair that I got the blog when I've not got as much time. :welcome: Silly me. x

Glad to here it, I've got a blog and things now, but it's a bit unfair that I got the blog when I've not got as much time. :smile2: Silly me. x

Ben :welcome:

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz ~ Started: 18.05.09 ~ Finished: 22.05.09

I just finished reading 'The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao' and I enjoyed it, I did find some of the Spanish difficult to follow but I enjoyed the history.

I found a lot of the 'geeky' references funny, the way they were intertwined into the story was interesting, I found it a quiet relief from the Spanish (at times). I thought the family history in parts was complicated but a strong element to the story.

After a initial rocky start reading the book, I really enjoyed it by the end, I think the main focus of the story is clouded over by the numerous Spanish and historical references, they have relevant but I think the book could have coped with less of them. The main focus of the book for me was love, Oscar has all this love to give and rarely showed any love because of various reasons, at first I did see Oscar as a non~existent character but as the story progressed and other stories were told about his Mother, his sister, etc, I found Oscar much more appealing, despite the fact he was very much happy in his own misery but at the end of the story he had found some manner of happiness, extremely short lived happiness but still happiness.

Rating: 8/10

Broken by Kelley Armstrong ~ Started: 18.05.09 ~ Finished: 26.05.09

When half-demon Xavier calls in the favour Elena owes him, it seems easy enough - steal Jack the Ripper's 'From Hell' letter away from a Toronto collector who had himself stolen it from the Ripper evidence boxes in the Metropolitan Police files. But nothing in the supernatural world is ever as simple as it seems. Elena accidentally triggers a spell placed on the letter, and manages to tear an opening that leads into the nether regions of Victorian London. Toronto may be looking for a tourism boost, but 'Gateway to Hell' isn't quite the new slogan the city had in mind ...

'Broken' is the sixth book in 'The Women of the Otherworld' series and it is now my favourite book of the series. 'Broken' marks the return of our favourite female werewolf, Elena Michaels. this time around her and her partner, Clay lives have taken a dramatic turn in the form of Elena's pregnancy, a miracle in itself because it had always been a concern of Elena that she might not be able to become pregnant because she is a werewolf. The book begins with Elena's concerns about her pregnancy until she receives a phone call from the half demon Xavier Reese (who first appeared in 'Stolen', the second book in the series) asking for a favour to be repaid, a welcome distraction for Elena, all she has to do, is to find a letter...

'Broken' (as mentioned) is by far my favourite of the series, the story was excellent, Elena and the rest of the pack were not only dealing with Elena's pregnancy but also Jack the Ripper, zombies and vicious rats. The Jack the Ripper storyline was excellent, you could tell a lot of research had gone into to finding out about the origins of the 'From Hell' letter. It was great to read that Elena and Clay have finally found themselves settled in their relationship, from reading the previous books with Elena in them, I knew how difficult it was for Elena but they now seem to be in a good place as a couple.

All in all a fantastic read, a good solid ending. Kelley Armstrong is a strong writer, her character developments are excellent to read and her stories are also fresh and individual.

I can't wait for Frostbitten to be released, to find out what is happening with Elena and Clay.

Brokensixthbook.jpg

Good review Paula. I really have to get back into this series. I read the first one a month or so ago and enjoyed it and I have the second one sitting at home on my pile. I think I will bump it up a couple of places.

Good review Paula. I really have to get back into this series. I read the first one a month or so ago and enjoyed it and I have the second one sitting at home on my pile. I think I will bump it up a couple of places.

Thanks Dan, let me know what you think of the rest of the series :)

So glad you enjoy this one Paula, it's my favourite of Clay and Elena too :weeping: I can't wait for Frostbitten either, but it seems so long away :)

I know and I am just impatient :)

New Moon (Twilight Saga) by Stephenie Meyer (re-read) ~ Started: 28.05.09 ~ Finished: 29.05.09

Synopsis ~

I stuck my finger under the edge of the paper and jerked it under the tape. 'Shoot,' I muttered when the paper sliced my finger. A single drop of blood oozed from the tiny cut. It all happened very quickly then. 'No!' Edward roared ...Dazed and disorientated, I looked up from the bright red blood pulsing out of my arm - and into the fevered eyes of the six suddenly ravenous vampires. For Bella Swan, there is one thing more important than life itself: Edward Cullen. But being in love with a vampire is more dangerous than Bella ever could have imagined. Edward has already rescued Bella from the clutches of an evil vampire but now, as their daring relationship threatens all that is near and dear to them, they realise their troubles may just be beginning ...

I could not sleep so I picked up 'New Moon' for a re~read, I have re~read 'Twilight' twice already. I enjoyed 'New Moon' more the second time around, Bella really came into her own, at times, her actions were plain scary but understandable. I enjoyed it a lot more this time as I said, a good read all round and I am looking forward to the film (which I hear has some changes from the book but positive ones).

Rating: 10/10

41zC5-4gHCL_SS500_-1.jpg