Gyre's Reading Adventures 2009!

Weave

I read the books first and then saw the cartoons when in England for the summer holidays, so the Moomins were a staple of my childhood - they are so cute! I even have a shirt with a tree-hugging Moomin and a pink Moomin-shaped felt handbag :giggle: so needless to say, I'm glad you liked it.

Oh that sounds so cute Guilia!, I have a bag with Snufkin on it :blush: x

Edited by Weave

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater ~ Started: 18.12.09 ~ Finished: 22.12.09

Synopsis ~

For years, Grace has watched the wolves in the woods behind her house. One yellow-eyed wolf--her wolf--is a chilling presence she can't seem to live without. Meanwhile, Sam has lived two lives: In winter, the frozen woods, the protection of the pack, and the silent company of a fearless girl. In summer, a few precious months of being human . . . until the cold makes him shift back again.

Now, Grace meets a yellow-eyed boy whose familiarity takes her breath away. It's her wolf. It has to be. But as winter nears, Sam must fight to stay human--or risk losing himself, and Grace, forever.

‘Shiver’ tells the story of Grace, attacked and bitten by wolves when she was eleven years old, and now six years later still finds herself drawn to the yellowed wolf who watches her all winter, there is a connection between them and as the story progressed you find out how strong the connection is.

I enjoyed ‘Shiver’, it was a different take on the werewolf genre and the story was well written. Grace, the main character was a likeable character, I liked that she was sure of herself, how quickly she has grown up. Sam, the other main character, was also a likeable character, the tortured soul who is fighting to keep some fragment of humanity.

Parts of the book reminded me of ‘Twilight’, and readers of ‘Twilight’ will know what parts I mean but given that, ‘Shiver’ as a story stands on its own and gains its own merit.

A good read, enjoyable and different, looking forward to the sequel ~ ‘Linger’.

bookcover.jpg

I Am Scrooge: A Zombie Story for Christmas by Adam Roberts ~ Started: 14.12.09 ~ Finished: 16.12.09

Synopsis ~

Marley was dead. Again. The legendary Ebenezeer Scrooge sits in his house counting money. The boards that he has nailed up over the doors and the windows shudder and shake under the blows from the endless zombie hordes that crowd the streets hungering for his flesh and his miserly braaaaiiiiiinns! Just how did the happiest day of the year slip into a welter of blood, innards and shambling, ravenous undead on the snowy streets of old London town? Will the ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and Future be able to stop the world from drowning under a top-hatted and crinolined zombie horde? Was Tiny Tim's illness something infinitely more sinister than mere rickets and consumption? Can Scrooge be persuaded to go back to his evil ways, travel back to Christmas past and destroy the brain stem of the tiny, irritatingly cheery Patient Zero? It's the Dickensian Zombie Apocalypse - God Bless us, one and all!

Tis the season for zombies! And this time its Ebenezeer Scrooge

Great reviews Gyre! You seem to have had a great year this year with very few disappointments, nice one! I hope it continues in 2010 for you :friends0:

Thanks Charm, I have been pretty lucky, I think because this year I have decided if I don't like a book, I won't keep at it for too long and go onto the next year :D

You shouldn't be allowed to just wander onto this thread and write a compelling review and MAKE me go straight onto Amazon and order two (yes 2) of Matt Haig's books.

It's just not right! :friends0: Great review Paula, I could not resist just going and getting it!

You shouldn't be allowed to just wander onto this thread and write a compelling review and MAKE me go straight onto Amazon and order two (yes 2) of Matt Haig's books.

It's just not right! :friends0: Great review Paula, I could not resist just going and getting it!

You will enjoy them, they are great and thanks :D

Paula, you could make a fortune earning commissions for recommending books to others. :friends0:

I haven't read the review yet, but now I'm scared to in case I have to add it to my wish list!

Thanks Kylie, and don't look :D

I haven't read the review yet, but now I'm scared to in case I have to add it to my wish list!

Don't read it Kylie unless you have money. I didn't want to read the review but couldn't resist after I read Chrissy's post and now I've added the book to my TBR list :D :D

Paula, you'll make us go bankcrupt!! But you make our biblio-lives so much richer :friends0:

Well 'The Possession of Mr Cave' by Matt Haig was my last book of the year, I am half way through 'Dracula: the Un-dead' by Dacre Stoker and Ian Holt

I have been very lucky this year with my books and here's hoping it continues in 2010!

Thanks to everyone for their excellent recommendations!:D

Happy reading in 2010:)