Gyre's Reading Adventures 2009!

Weave

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami ~ Started: 12.04.09 ~ Finished: 17.04.09

Synopsis ~

Lost in space or a loser in love? Twenty-two year-old Sumire is in love for the first time - with a woman seventeen years her senior. But whereas Miu is a glamorous and successful older woman with a taste for classical music and fine wine, Sumire is an aspiring writer who dresses in an oversized second-hand coat and heavy boots like a character in a Jack Kerouac novel. Surprised that she might, after all, be a lesbian, Sumire spends hours on the phone talking to her best friend K. about the big questions in life: what is sexual desire and should she ever tell Miu how she feels about her?K., a primary school teacher, is used to answering questions, but what he most wants to say to Sumire is, "I love you." He consoles himself by having an affair with the mother of one of his pupils. But when a desperate Miu calls him out of the blue from a sunny Greek island and asks for his help, he soon discovers that all is not as it seems and something very strange has happened to Sumire.

SputnikSweetheart3.jpg

‘Sputnik Sweetheart’ I felt was a lot different compared to previous titles I have read by Haruki Murakami, there was still some of the same themes, cats, alternative realities, mystery women but ‘Sputnik Sweetheart’ was more heartfelt but in a vague way, it is the story of unrequited love with a twist. The story was engaging and entertaining. I wanted to work out for K and Sumire, I wanted Sumire to find what she was looking for.

Another great title by Haruki Murakami but as I said I thought very different from his previous titles but good different.

Rating: 10/10

Edited by Weave

Title of book: Stuart: A Life Backwards

Name of author: Alexander Masters

Paperback: 304 pages

ISBN-10: 0007200374

ISBN-13: 978-0007200375

Synopsis ~

This is the story of Stuart Shorter: thief, hostage taker, psycho and street raconteur. It is a story told backwards, as he wanted, from the man he was when Alexander Masters met him to a 'happy~go~lucky~boy' of twelve. Brilliant, humane and funny, it is an extraordinary and unexpected as the life it describes.

This book will stay with me for a long. Having worked with homeless individuals over the past ten years, a lot of the book was familiar to me in terms of facts and figures, the book did highlight another fact I am very aware of ~ everyone has their own story and not so poignant as a person who lives on the street, you are surprised to read that some people choose the street, why? Because in some ways, it is theirs, they are away from the pain in their lives but by living on the streets they experience a new pain, it is unfortunately a vicious circle and there is so many people working in the background to help as people as possible.

The author of the book Alexander Masters met Stuart Shorter on the streets, Stuart’s reputation preceeds him, he was known as ‘Knife man Dan’, ‘that mad b*****d on level D’ but underneath there is a different side to Stuart, an astute, intelligent side which comes to light following the arrests and subsequent unjustly imprisonment of Ruth Wyner and John Brock, homeless workers for ‘knowingly allowing’ the supply of heroin, Ruth, John and the rest of the workers did as much as they could, informing the police, etc but nothing changed, individuals were still dealing drugs.

Stuart and Alexander become involved in the campaign to free Ruth and John, with Stuart insights and experience he helps more than he realises, for the first time in his life, Stuart is needed.

There is nothing nice about Stuart’s life, he decided that his story should be told backwards because he wanted the reader to see that he was not always the way he was, that at one point, he had been a happy child. The book explores Stuart’s life in a positive but respectful manner, there are issues in Stuart’s life that are very significant (he was sexually abused by his brother and his babysitter, school teachers), they are mentioned to highlight Stuart’s problems but they are not described, which I found easier to cope with to be honest. Stuart also suffered from muscular dystrophy but nothing about his life is used as an excuse by Stuart, he rolls with the punches, he faces his daily demons.

Stuart’s life was an eye opener, I learned from it and I think other readers will too, you will laugh, you will cry.

Unfortunately Stuart never saw the finished book, he died at the age of 33 years old on the 6th July 2002 after being hit by a train, and the jury returned an ‘open verdict’

If you get the chance, read this book, as I said, it is an eye opener.

Highly recommended.

Rating: 10/10:

9780007200375.jpg

Edited by Weave

I think I need to stop reading your blog, there's always something new that sounds so interesting (like your latest read Stuart: A Life Backwards) and I just cannot afford to keep adding books to my TBR!! :lol:

:lol:

:lol:

Stolen by Kelley Armstrong ~ Started: 13.04.09 ~ Finished: 21.04.09

Synopsis ~

Elena Michaels is a wanted woman. She hasn't done anything wrong. Well, not recently, anyway. But ten years ago her lover turned her into a werewolf: the only female werewolf in the world, in fact. And now, just as she's finally coming to terms with this rather startling situation, a group of scientists learns of her existence. They're hunting her down, and Elena is about to run straight into their trap. But they haven't reckoned on Elena's adoptive family, her Pack, who will stop at nothing to get her back. They haven't reckoned on Elena herself, either, and that's a big mistake...

Stolencoveruk.jpg

When I first started 'Stolen', I was not enjoying it, it just was not catching my interest but I continued because I enjoyed 'Bitten' so much. I am really glad I continued with 'Stolen', the story was exciting, more interesting characters and a great story. I did not know what to expect and I enjoyed that.

Highly recommended.

Thanks Kell :roll: I am ordering some more of the series today, I have started 'Dime Store Magic' and I know I will want to read the next book straight after ;)

Dime Store Magic ~ Started: 21.04.09 ~ Finished: 25.04.09

Synopsis ~

For years, real witches have hidden their powers, afraid of being persecuted. They have integrated so well into the community, you could have a witch living right next door, and never know about it. Take Paige, for instance. Just an ordinary twentysomething, runs her own website design company, worries about her weight, wonders if she'll ever find a boyfriend. Okay, so she has an adopted daughter, Savannah, who wants to raise her mother from the dead. And who is being stalked by a telekinetic demon and a renegade sorceror. But other than that -- really ordinary life. That is, until the neighbours find out who she is, and all hell breaks loose. Literally.

DimeStoreMagicthirdbook.jpg

'Dime Store Magic' is the third book in 'The Women of the Otherworld series' and this time around, it’s all about the witches, mainly Paige and Savannah and their sorcerer friend Lucas, they make quite the team. I really enjoyed 'Dime Store Magic', as much as I enjoyed the first two books in the series, 'Bitten' and 'Stolen, I liked Paige and Savannah more as characters, and I found Paige very endearing and caring. I felt Paige and Savannah pain over the loss of their mothers, which was excellent writing by Kelley Armstrong.

I found 'Dime Store Magic' a exciting story, there was funny parts and sad parts but it was a good balance and before I forgot, Lucas was an excellent character, he understood Paige so well, which I thought was very sweet.

Highly recommended, a very addictive series :)

I wonder if this is something I'd be into? I'm tempted to have a go, because of the 10/10 rating you've given it.

What do you reckon? It's possible you have a notion about my tastes already.

Hope you're very well. :)

I wonder if this is something I'd be into? I'm tempted to have a go, because of the 10/10 rating you've given it.

What do you reckon? It's possible you have a notion about my tastes already.

Hope you're very well. :)

Hi Mac, they are really good reads, I think you would enjoy them, if not, there is always Mr Murakami :D

Mac, if you like supernatural type books then you're likely to enjoy this one, I know there are a few of us on here that love it, myself and Kell included :smile2:

So glad to see you're enjoying them Paula! :D

Thanks Lexie, they are really good and whoo hoo! 'Industrial Magic' arrived this morning :)

Thanks Lexie. I'll pick one up tomorrow. :)

Thanks Lexie, I am sorry I was not that clear before Mac, I had just woke up and still had my morning head on :D

Oooh, no, Paula! You said I'd like 'em, so I was going to get it on the strength of your recommendation, my friend.

I was just thanking Lexie, too! Everyone's really lovely, aren't they!?!

Hope you're enjoying your weekend. I've got to go and see me mum in a play tonight. Not sure what it's about. She used to be professional (actress, singer, model - insufferable, really) as did some of the other dudes in the company, so it should be alright.

I just hope mum doesn't have anything to do with sex in it.

Or swearing.

*shudders*

:)

Industrial Magic by Kelley Armstrong ~ Started: 25.04.09 ~ Finished: 07.05.09

Synopsis ~

After Paige Winterbourne is ousted as leader of the American Coven of Witches, all she wants to do is hide under her duvet for a few months. Let the supernatural world manage without her, see if she cares... But fate, of course, has other plans. A murderer is on the loose - someone with superhuman skills. When Paige learns that the killer is targeting children, she realises she has to get involved in the covert investigation. And so Paige - desperate to protect those she loves - is thrown into a world of arrogant Cabal leaders, drunken necromancers, sulky druid gods and pretentious leather-clad vampires. Luckily, she has a female werewolf and a certain renegade sorcerer on her side...

'Industrial Magic' is the fourth book of 'The Women of the Otherworld series' and it is the continuing story of Paige Winterbourne who is a witch and one of my favourite characters of the series so far. 'Industrial Magic' was a great story, as always with Kelley Armstrong, there is just the right balance of excitement and various other sub~plots to keep interested, I like learning more about the characters and also the introduction of new characters.

Next in the series is 'Haunted', which I am about to take down from my shelf :)

Highly recommended.

IndustrialMagicfourthbook-1.jpg

Nightswallow by Bronwen Winter Phoenix and Dime Store Magic by Kelley Armstrong sound quite good, I'll put them on my list...

They are both really good reads :)

Ok I need to unsubscribe from this thread :) Every time I visit it I add more to my wishlist!

(I won't really :) )

We are all as bad as each other, so many books to choose from :D