Nollaig's Reading Challenge

Nollaig

It was his only novel, he wrote plays, short stories and some poetry.

He did write the short story 'The Canterville Ghost' which is excellent, and has a wonderful movie adaption with Patrick Stewart playing the ghost! Wilde also wrote the script for the well known 'The Importance Of Being Earnest' but obviously it's not prose so it might not be good for reading :eek:

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:eek: Probably.

Do try the Canterville Ghost! It's short, I'm sure you could find it somewhere online legally since it's ooooold, and it's probably got a more straight forward and less philosophical moral than Dorian Gray :friends0:

Lmao I didn't mean it like that!!

I meant, you don't have to :D because you obviously appreciate good literature even if you don't like it, which is more than can be said for most people! :lol:

I know :eek:

Well, then perhaps I shall try the Canterville Ghost! (I guess that's why that's the only book of his I've ever heard of, then, isn't it?)

:D Probably.

Do try the Canterville Ghost! It's short, I'm sure you could find it somewhere online legally since it's ooooold, and it's probably got a more straight forward and less philosophical moral than Dorian Gray :D

Oh I've seen this film, a quirky wee tale if I remember, I might try this! :friends0:

3277736108_04da8f7718_o.jpg

Audrey Niffenegger

The Time Traveller's Wife

(2003)

Genre: Science Fiction, Romance.

Synopsis: Clare met Henry when she was 6 and Henry was 36. They were married when Clare was 22 and Henry was 30. In essence, the pair met before they met – seemingly impossible, but made reality because Henry is unique. He suffers from Chrono-impairment, a genetic anomaly which makes staying in the present incredibly difficult and Henry finds himself randomly dragged into the past or future where he discovers that you can’t change the future because, like the past, it has already happened. What unfolds is a love story that transcends time and leaves Clare playing a waiting game which starts when she is only a little girl and lasts throughout her adult life.

General Ramble: The Time Traveller’s wife gets full marks for originality – somehow making new the old science fiction concept of time travel, imbued with a classic ‘separated lovers’ love story. It is very tricky territory for a book – dependant upon the interrelation of two very different genres for it’s success. Somehow, however, it really works. The book is written from the perspective of the time-traveller, Henry, and his love interest, Clare. The language is witty, and a credible first person narrative, but cleverly and even beautifully written all the same. Overall, while this book has some minor flaws - like being tedious in parts and many characters inspiring little more than indifference – as a whole it is well worth at least one read, and probably two, just to experience the overall flavor of what is a truly accomplished debut novel.

Rating: 9/10

Postcards to the usual address

Note: Long Ramble does contain minor spoilers.

All comments welcome of course!

Thanks for reading! :blush:;)

3277997763_17a6ea702e.jpg?v=0

Titania Hardie

The Rose Labyrinth

(2008)

Genre: Thriller, Mystery, Fiction.

Synopsis: Before his death in 1609, the brilliant Elizabethan spy and astrologer John Dee hid his most astonishing secrets, trusting his descendants would one day bring them to light. That time has come.

In 2003, Will Stafford inherits a strange legacy from his mother: a key and an ancient script with an enigmatic note. Intrigued, he travels Europe seeking answers to Dee’s riddles, unaware that someone is following every move. Back in London, Lucy King becomes entangled in Will’s cryptic labyrinth. As its mysterious twists take her from France to New York, and from literature to myth, in search of its hidden treasure, she has never been closer to the truth, nor in graver danger.

General Ramble:

The Rose Labyrinth is a complex offering of romance and mystery, with a lyrical style of writing throughout. The credible characters are easy to imagine; ultimately allowing a fictional story, about a mysterious legacy and the secrets of historical characters, to seem very real. The book bears a resemblance to Kate Mosse’s “Labyrinth” and Dan Brown’s ‘Da Vinci Code’ in style/content, but it resembles the better points in each – the beautiful portrayal of both settings and persons, and the thrilling unravelling of a deeply researched mystery which walks the spiritual line between science and religion. An easy, well thought out and interesting read.

Rating: 8/10

Thanks for reading! :blush:;)

Doing this so that I can easily find what I've posted on here, coz I'm forever revising things!

Each link leads to the individual post, and you can follow the link in each post to the relevant ramble on my blog.

All My Rambles So Far:

A Certain Slant Of Light - Laura Whitcomb

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Inkheart - Cornelia Funke

What Dreams May Come - Richard Matheson

Valiant - Holly Black

The Dead Guy - Doug Hewitt

The Book Of Lost Things - John Connolly

Angelina's Children - Alice Ferney

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

The Time Traveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

The Rose Labyrinth - Titania Hardie

Edited by Nollaig

I see a title i vaguely recall - The Graveyard Book.

My sister actually rambled about this particular book to me a couple of weeks ago over a hot chocolate in a random caf

3292893963_08a4e62a15.jpg?v=0

The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies Of The Apocalypse

(2002)

Genre: Fantasy/Thriller

Synopsis: The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies Of The Apocalypse is set in Toy City. The Old Rich, who have made their millions from the royalties on their world-famous nursery rhymes, are being slaughtered. One by One. Horribly. A psychopath is on the loose and he must be stopped at all costs. It's a job for Toytown's only detective - Eddie Bear.

Short Ramble: This quirky novel spans several genres as it portrays the gruesome murders of well known nursery rhyme figures – and it does it with an unrivalled dark humor and realism. The straight-forward, no-nonsense style of writing makes it easier and even more amusing to read. With wonderful personalities, marriage crises, private scandals as well as the brutal murders added to the world of toys and nursery rhymes, the innocent world of children dresses up in an adults clothes to make this novel stand out like the most loved old toy in any adult’s memory. Watch out for the sequel, “The Toyminator.”

Rating: 9.5/10

Thanks for reading! :lol::D

• 1 month later...

God it's been a while.

Since then I've read:

Perfume - Patrick Suskind

Spirit Horses - Alan S. Evans

The Exorcist - William Peter Blatty

and I'm working on Waiting - Ha Jin, Cell - Stephen King and am going to start Equinox - Michael White when they're done.

My review on Spirit Horses is done for the BCF blog, but my ramblings one isn't done, so rambles on all three books, plus my Haunted - James Herbert ramble will soon be forthcoming. I hope.

I loved it. I still haven't written as review, because I'm not quite sure what to say.

I haven't seen the movie either, but I'd like to.

I just finished Waiting, epic book. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Next up is Equinox by Michael White.

I really enjoy Robert Rankin's books. I started off with The Antipope and just fell in love with his eccentric characters immediately. I really enjoyed the Armageddon trilogy as well. I find him very funny.:friends0:

I say you read Heart shaped box by Joe Hill only because It sounds good and I want to read it too but this way you can write a great review and relieve me of the temptation of spending money I don't have yet on it... :eek2: or most probably the opposite and make me go buy it :D but yeah I say that or a nice classic by Jane Austen - Pride and Prejudice - oh, Mr Darcy.:lol: It will get you in the love frame of mind esp. now with your new love interest...hmm...?

Not sure if you've picked a book yet, but if you're still trying to decide, I'm plump for Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen. I regularly change my mind as to my favourite Austen, but this is like a classic version of a YA novel for me, and at the moment, and currently my favourite! I loved the humour and lightness of touch in it, and her poking fun at Gothic novels.