• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F010819712.jpg

John Connolly

The Book Of Lost Things

(2006)

Genre: Fiction/Dark Fantasy/Young Adult

Synopsis: The story begins in London, England, during World War II. It follows the story of young boy named David who struggles with his mother's death and father's remarriage. While David tries to adapt to this new family situation, he begins to hear his books whispering to him and he often faints. He soon finds himself lured to another world hidden in a crack in the sunken garden of the family's new home. He ends up in the fantasy world of his books and must find the king in the hopes that he can return him to his home. While exploring this new fantasy world, David has many adventures and lives out his own fairy tale. The novel takes a different look at traditional fairy tales and follows every child's journey into adulthood.

General Ramble: The thing that originally drew me to this book was the idea of a dark fairytale world. Not everybody knows the horrific original versions of many classic fairytales, romanticized by Disney movies. However, for those interested in such dark tales, this book is an immensely easy-to-read, thought-provoking and informative journey into the themes of those tales. Along the line of Pan’s Labyrinth or the computer game American McGee’s Alice, everything in this fantasy world is a twisted, darkened representation of something in our own lives. Not so scary that a young adult couldn’t read it, but not so childlike that an adult couldn’t read into the deeper meanings of each metaphorical character. It can be read on a basic entertainment level, but the book comes complete with approx. 100 pages of notes with fairytale origins and Grimm tellings in order to help readers of all ages understand it fully.

Rating: 9.5/10

Postcards to the usual address

All comments welcome of course!

Thanks for reading! :readingtwo::D

• 2 weeks later...

3263009635_32cf56ef23_o.jpg

Alice Ferney

Angelina’s children

(1997)

Genre: Fiction

Synopsis: 'Few gypsies want to be seen as poor, although many are. Such was the case with old Angelina's sons, who possessed nothing other than their caravan and their gypsy blood. And, like their mother, they spat upon the very thought that they might be pitied.' So begins the story of a tribe exiled, outlawed and ostracized by society. Esther, a young librarian from the town, wants to teach Angelina's grandchildren to read. She runs into a wall of suspicion but eventually manages to tame the children and gain Angelina's confidence. Dealing with the widow's five sons is another matter.

General Ramble: I read this book upon recommendation and as part of my Around The World Challenge. I have to admit it’s not the sort of thing I would have picked up otherwise – but I’m glad that I did. This book draws you into a world many of us are well aware of, but perhaps don’t really know anything about. It excludes the outside world and we spend the duration of the book within a Gypsy microcosm. A mostly unbiased narration allows the reader to determine for his/herself where their sympathies lie – but I think it’s safe to say most readers will come round to the perspective of the Gypsies. It is credited as being ‘A beautifully feminine and fertile book’ which is certainly the case. Although the narration is third person, it’s easy to feel the story swaying more towards the Gypsy women and their view both of life and their men. A short, powerful read with realities which linger even when the covers are closed.

Rating: 8/10

(Full Ramble On My Blog)

All comments welcome of course!

Thanks for reading! :roll::lol:

Edited by Nollaig

the_graveyard_book.jpg

Neil Gaiman

The Graveyard Book

(2008)

Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy

Synopsis: "When a baby escapes a murderer intent on killing the entire family, who would have thought it would find safety and security in the local graveyard? Brought up by the resident ghosts, ghouls and spectres, Bod has an eccentric childhood learning about life from the dead. But for Bod there is also the danger of the murderer still looking for him - after all, he is the last remaining member of the family. A stunningly original novel deftly constructed over eight chapters, featuring every second year of Bod's life, from babyhood to adolescence. Will Bod survive to be a man?"

General Ramble: I was really excited about reading this book, having read a few of Gaiman’s adult novels and having enjoyed them immensely. And there are a lot of things I really enjoyed about this book. But I don’t think it really deserves the fantastic reception it has been getting. The idea is original and very clever. The structuring, 2 years to a chapter or so is also interesting and works quite well – this book if anything certainly is distinctive. Some of the language is also great, it’s a book you’ll find yourself wanting to memorize quotes from. It also has some lovely artwork at the beginning of each chapter, and the cover alone was what drew my attention initially. Having said that, I think the story and characters are underdeveloped. Perhaps it is simply because it is a book also aimed at a younger audience that I find it to be quite basic and understated. Although if that’s the case, Gaiman would have benefited from filling the story out and presenting it to an adult audience, because it hints at an exceptional concept. It is based on ideas from The Jungle Book and contains many vague references, but given that I don’t like The Jungle Book either, it never looked good. Still, it is worth at least one read by any Gaiman fan, if for no reason other than to appreciate his unique style played out in new material.

Rating: 7/10

(Full Ramble On My Blog)

All blog comments welcome of course!

Thanks for reading! :roll::lol:

Thank you :friends0: If you really love me though, you can comment on my blog post rather than thread post sometimes :lol:

And yeah, wait for the paperback, or even better if I can get a few quid together I'll send it to you to borrow, I paid like 14 euro for it (ouch) and it really wasn't worth it. :eek: But it's beautiful, at least.

Thank you :D If you really love me though, you can comment on my blog post rather than thread post sometimes

Funny you should say that! I was reading your blog earlier and your review on John Connolly's book and I remember thinking I must make a comment on Roxi's blog and show my support for her good work! :D ... Then I went and made a cuppa instead :friends0: I will, I will though, next time I'm on it I'll leave a thought :eek:

And yeah, wait for the paperback, or even better if I can get a few quid together I'll send it to you to borrow, I paid like 14 euro for it (ouch) and it really wasn't worth it. :D But it's beautiful, at least.

I was looking at it the other day and did go to buy it until I saw the price.

I remember thinking I must make a comment on Roxi's blog and show my support for her good work! :D ... Then I went and made a cuppa instead :eek:

Ahahaha! The smilies made that hilarious! :friends0: It's okay, it's just my blog is really lacking in comments and it doesn't look good if I write comments myself :lol:

I appreciate you even reading my blog, actually!! Kbmarsh commented, which was lovely of her since I haven't even really had the pleasure of talking directly with her. It's nice to get comments, even if they say, 'what a load of tosh, go back to school.' :D

Ohhh and Doug Hewitt, the guy I wrote my original book review for (The Dead Guy) found his way somehow onto my book blog (I actually have no idea how! Probably via the BCF site, but why go to all that trouble?) But yeah, he commented on the longer review I did for his book, and say it was 'excellent' 'appreciated' and 'insightful' :D also two randomers who seem to know Doug or his books also commented, which was nice.

Ohhh and Doug Hewitt, the guy I wrote my original book review for (The Dead Guy) found his way somehow onto my book blog (I actually have no idea how! Probably via the BCF site, but why go to all that trouble?) But yeah, he commented on the longer review I did for his book, and say it was 'excellent' 'appreciated' and 'insightful' :D also two randomers who seem to know Doug or his books also commented, which was nice.

Wow! :eek: I'll bet that made you feel really proud! I'm chuffed to bits here for ya :lol: Well done you! :friends0:

Yeah I was pretty pleased :lol: I'm starting to not think I'm completely useless with the english language :friends0:

How're you getting on with Dorian Gray?

(this is my thread, I can go off-topic! :D Well, probably not, but I'll be re-reading Dorian Gray if i buy the leather-bound edition which will cost me about 2 weeks food :eek: so it's vaguely on-topic!)

Yeah I was pretty pleased :D I'm starting to not think I'm completely useless with the english language :D

How're you getting on with Dorian Gray?

(this is my thread, I can go off-topic! :D Well, probably not, but I'll be re-reading Dorian Gray if i buy the leather-bound edition which will cost me about 2 weeks food :lol: so it's vaguely on-topic!)

To be honest ..... I'm bored to death with it! :eek:

I'm at the bit where

he's just dumped his actress wife and then has noticed the painting starting to change

and so far that's the most exiting thing that has happened! I understand how Mr Wilde's writing can be called beautiful yada yada yada but god its boring!

:friends0:

Well it's quite possible its just not for you then - I think I'm probably in a minority in adoring that kind of writing. :eek:

You're probably right. I will finish it though, it won't beat me! You never know it might surprise me in the end :friends0: