Nollaig's Reading Challenge

Nollaig

I loved the Book Thief although I struggled with the way it was written at first. No matter how hard I tried, and I really wanted to, I just couldn't get through the first 100 pages. So I left it for a few months and started again. I agree that I would give it 9/10 :D

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again I have to say Thanks!! :D

I'd never heard of this book and I've added it to my list.. I really am getting such great suggestions here for reading material! I can't wait to get my hands on "The Book Thief" after reading the synopsis! :D

And great challenge, Roxi.. good luck !!

This isn't actually on my reading list (its two sequels are) but I'm including it because I don't think anyone here has read it, and its really worth a mention if you like kid's books. Its really brilliant.

inkheart.jpg

Inkheart - Cornelia Funke

(2003)

Genre: Children

I know I might be in the minority here, but I really didn't like Inkheart at all. I thought the idea was amazing, but I found it really dragged. The heros got caught by the baddies, escaped, got caught, escaped, got caught... you get the idea.

Such a shame, as I said the idea is outstanding.

Well you're entirely entitled to your opinion, and I do agree it drags a bit at the end, but the story ended up being secondary to character development for me in the end. Like I say in my longer ramble, I love Dustfinger. He is why I loved the book, and indeed the second which i'm going re-reading. I just think hes brilliant, the way he starts off as a mysterious guy you don't quite trust, to being the one who probably know the most detail about. I really think hes a fantastic character.

Oh I know you weren't haha :D

I can completely understand why people would get sick of it. I think its prolly coz I was 15 when I read it first, so I read it on a more childish level, and now I just love the characters too much for repetition to bother me. :D

Hey Roxi, did you see that there's a movie about that book coming out soon? My Sister is taking her kids to see it. I haven't read it, but she & her kids have & they're pretty excited!

Its already out here, thanks Ceinwenn! I've seen it, and they destroyed one of the two great things about the book - the ending :D But it was an enjoyable watch indeed! And Paul Bettany as my beloved Dustfinger - truly brilliant. :D

Yum! :D

Someone lent me this book aaaages ago but I didn't get round to it and ended up giving it back. I think I'll wait for the film to come out on DVD and be reduced in Tesco now, rather than read the book.

The movie ruins the endddddddd =P

It takes a chunk from the start of Book 2 and incorporates it (really badly) and makes it all happy-fied.

Still, I was having fits inside in the cinema. Possibly my favourite fairytale character EVER, played by PAUL FRICKIN BETTANY!!! I love that man, so much.

EDIT: And hahaha at your 'reduced in tesco' bit :D Thank God for Tesco! :D

This is a thread about Inkheart somewhere.. it's a book that I read a while ago, and really enjoyed - but then people were posting in the thread that they didn't like it. I was shocked! :D

I went to see the film with Bethany, but I couldn't remember enough about the details to know how much it stuck to the book. It also didn't help that for some reason I was feeling rather unwell, and had to go out a couple of times! :D

This is a thread about Inkheart somewhere.. it's a book that I read a while ago, and really enjoyed - but then people were posting in the thread that they didn't like it. I was shocked! :)

Awhhh I'm really glad you liked it! You have great taste! :D

I only blabbed about it here in my thread because I'll be covering the second two books soon.

I went to see the film with Bethany, but I couldn't remember enough about the details to know how much it stuck to the book. It also didn't help that for some reason I was feeling rather unwell, and had to go out a couple of times! :D

Awwwhhh that spoils it =[ :D

Heres how the ending differed:

In the book, Dustfinger doesn't get back into his own book, and to me this just makes the book brilliant, because he doesn't get his happy ending, he just wanders off into the sunset with Farid. In Book 2, he gets chucked back into Inkheart and sees Roxane (his wife) so they took that and included it in the end.

So that really really annoyed me.

Other than that, I thought it was quite a good adaption, and most parts were played very well. :)

I thought the idea was amazing, but I found it really dragged. The heros got caught by the baddies, escaped, got caught, escaped, got caught... you get the idea

I have been reading this for about a month now and afriad I have to agree! I am enjoying it but it's not holding me now i've only got a bit to go.

I think it is very well written but I probably won't bother with the rest of the series. :D

I have been reading this for about a month now and afriad I have to agree! I am enjoying it but it's not holding me now i've only got a bit to go.

I think it is very well written but I probably won't bother with the rest of the series. :D

*sniff, sniff*:D

:D

Its probably my inner fifteen year old holding me to it =D

412Z2QE07DL._SL500_.jpg

What Dreams May Come

(1978)

Genre: Bangsian Fantasy

Synopsis: An unexpected accident cuts Chris Neilsen's life short. But even Heaven is not complete without his beloved wife, Annie, and when tragedy threatens to divide them forever, Chris risks his very soul to save Annie from an eternity of despair.

Short Ramble: This book is well known for two things – being well ahead of its time and for being heavily researched. The former is a good thing, although the significance of its content 30 years ago I’m sure would be lost upon the younger generations of today, meaning it MAY seem a little mediocre. The latter results in a poorly executed structure with a somewhat tedious writing style of lecture after lecture on how things work in the afterlife. Having said that, the lectures are pretty well informed and almost credible, so it is an interesting account of metaphysics and the spiritual world. A good book for one read through if you like Philosophy, but if you’re looking for plot and character development I’d suggest picking up a different book.

Rating: 7/10

You can read an in-depth ramble on my blog, Roxi's Random Ramblings

:D