The Rebus Books

Nellie

Hi Nellie

They are great books and Rebus is a classic detective! The first one is Knots and Crosses and to be honest that didnt blow me away but I read the second and I was hooked. They are worth reading in order as there are themes such as Rebus's relationships with his family running through all the books.

There is a list on IanRankin.net and the new editions alos have the series number on the back

I liked the books he writes as Jack harvey too!

I have just finished reading Black and Blue.

The book dealt with Rebus as a person and the books before this did build the character upto this book. With Bible John being a real guy the book used the murderer as a stooge for building the story around him. I found the book to be more of an autobiography of Rebus than a crime novel and I am glad I read it and able to understand how Rebus has matured as a character.:woohoo:

I have just finished reading Black and Blue.

The book dealt with Rebus as a person and the books before this did build the character upto this book. With Bible John being a real guy the book used the murderer as a stooge for building the story around him. I found the book to be more of an autobiography of Rebus than a crime novel and I am glad I read it and able to understand how Rebus has matured as a character.:woohoo:

I've not read black and blue colin is it a good book?:)

If you are after a good whodunnit then no, but if you are interested in Rebus as a person then yes. Without spoiling it Bible John is a real life killer and as the story revolves around catching the man in the book there can only be one conclusion. We learn so much of the Physce of Rebus, how he remains on the edge of right and wrong and how he deals with his drinking, smoking and womanising. It is hard to describe the book in detail but there are several sub plots and it is a page turner. If you are new to Rebus, read this first as you will learn so much about him in this book. It will be, in time a literary classic.

• 5 months later...

I was doing some tidying up on LibraryThing today & discoverd a glaring omission from my library - all of the Rebus series. Not sure how I managed to forget to add them to my library, but the omission has now been rectified. Whist adding them I had a browse around Ian Rankin's website & found this. I did it, but it's really tough as I read a lot of them ages ago! Also, there are no answers that I can find, so you have to do a little detective work to see if you got the answers right.

Edited by Ceinwenn

I was doing some tidying up on LibraryThing today & discoverd a glaring omission from my library - all of the Rebus series. Not sure how I managed to forget to add them to my library, but the omission has now been rectified. Whist adding them I had a browse around Ian Rankin's website & found this. I did it, but it's really tough as I read a lot of them ages ago! Also, there are no answers that I can find, so you have to do a little detective work to see if you got the answers right.

I love the character of Rebus and have read all of the books in the Rebus series. I will have a look at that site.

• 3 months later...

I have yet to read them (groan - I have so many things to read. My home and garage are practically burstingwith books...)

I'm enjoying all sorts of crime thrillers at the moment. I simply have to try Rankin's stuff (Ian, not Robert, 'cos I've already read his books) :lol:

Just to give everyone a heads-up. I've just finished a proof of Rankin's new book 'The Complaints' and after the disappointing 'Doors Open' he's back on form. Set within the Police Complaints Unit he's back on familiar territory with bent coppers, fit-ups and great characters to fill the Rebus-shaped void in our lives...... Due out 3rd September....

51%2BE9YLSS1L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

• 5 months later...

i have also read all the rebus books and loved them all...yes he is retired but his side kick Soibhan Clark will now come to the fore...and prob call on her old mate Rebus for help and advice....and i'm sure he will if he hasn't died from drinking in The Oxford....;)

I have to say I bought Nought and Crosses a couple of years ago and really couldn't get into it and eventually gave up. Looking back I think that was probably more to do with my state of mind towards reading at the time. Have hunted through my bookcase to try and find it again but when i moved last year I gave lots of books away to charity and fear that may have been one of them. If I happen to see this somewhere cheap may have to get it and give it another go.

although this is a rebus thread i would like to mention the roy grace detective series created by Peter James who as a one time horror writer decided to delve into crime and what a great series they are and what a great detective he created.